2021 Birthday event
|2021 Birthday event|
|Released||17 February 2021 (Update)|
|End date||17 March 2021 (Update)|
|Reward||Cursed banana and banana cape|
|Preceded by||2020 Birthday event|
The 2021 Birthday event is an event that takes place around the 8th birthday of the relaunch of Old School RuneScape. It can be started by talking to the Duke of Lumbridge on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Lumbridge Castle.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
To start out this event, talk to Duke Horacio on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Lumbridge Castle. He will tell you he has invited the King Awowogei of Ape Atoll to Lumbridge for a party, but because the king couldn't make it, a couple of other monkeys decided to go in his place. This has caused several citizens in and around Lumbridge to get harassed by the monkeys. Because killing all the monkeys would only play into the H.A.M.'s hands, the Duke tells you to visit Zeke, because he has been working on ways to trap monkeys without killing them. Duke Horacio will provide you with 20 coins to pass through the Al-Kharid tollgate.
Travel to Al-Kharid. Just north-west of the palace entrance, inside his scimitar shop, talk to Zeke. After some convincing, he will agree to create a trap. He tells you to create a monkey cage using a knife on three pieces of bamboo, and add a premium banana which he definitely did not get from Luthas. All of these items can be obtained in Zeke's store. Talk to Zeke to obtain a knife, and search the barrels in the store to grab some bananas and bamboo. Craft six monkey cages using the knife on the bamboo.
Travel back to Lumbridge, either through the Al-Kharid gate, or by using Lumbridge Home Teleport if Prince Ali Rescue is not completed. Talk to Duke Horacio and he will ask you to make an end to this monkey madness. Together with the Lumbridge Guide, he compiled a list of all the monkey sightings. He will give you this list to keep track of which monkeys have been caught. Go to each of the following places and place a trap to get a cutscene:
- Bob in Bob's Axes – an outraged monkey who is a paying customer and demands to speak to the manager.
- Father Aereck in Lumbridge Church – a religious monkey who sends his thoughts and prayers to Marimbo.
- Donie outside the Lumbridge General Store – a brave monkey taking on Lumbridge's goblins
- A sheep in Fred the Farmer's sheep pen (north-east corner) – a mathematically inclined monkey with the hard job of calculating the totals of Fred's sheep stock.
- A cow inside the cow field north of the Mill Lane Mill (south-east corner) – a frustrated monkey with inverted controls.
- The unicorn to the west of Lumbridge Swamp (north-west corner) – a rampaging monkey riding his stallion.
Once you've trapped all of the monkeys, head back to the Duke to hand in the monkeys. He will take them off your hands, and invite you to the Lumbridge Castle Dining Room, to commence the celebrations. Join Duke Horacio, Awowogei, Zeke, Mofina and Eluned in the dining room to receive your reward.
Wearing an M'speak amulet is not required for the player to talk to each monkey from their cage, because the monkeys are wearing amulets of humanspeak. Each monkey has unique dialogue.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- Cursed banana
- Banana cape (members only)
- 2 noted Half full wine jugs
- All previous birthday event and anniversary event rewards.
- Unlocks the Museum Medley music track.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The unicorn monkey's quote, "Oh? You're approaching me?", is reference to a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders line in which Dio says the line to Jotaro.
- When talking to father Aereck's monkey, the player character says "I see you're finally awake!" which is most likely a reference to the popular Skyrim meme.
- The monkey encountered in Bob's Axes is a reference to the stereotype meme of a 'Karen'.
- A player spoof named Unicorn1337Kilr can be seen during a cutscene.
- Dialogue during the event changes if the player has visited Great Kourend, encountered H.A.M., completed Prince Ali Rescue, Freeing King Awowogei (Recipe for Disaster), Monkey Madness II, or Song of the Elves.
- If Zeke is asked where he gets his premium bananas from during the event, the player can question Luthas about Zeke and premium bananas.