Aerial fishing is a Hunter technique requiring 35 Hunter and 43 Fishing. The aerial fishing technique is used to catch several fish species at Lake Molch. With the required Hunter and Fishing level and a cormorant's glove equipped, clicking on a fishing spot will send the cormorant towards the spot to catch a fish. The cormorant will always return to the player with a fish.
Hunters can rent the cormorant's gloves and a cormorant from the fishing expert Alry the Angler at Lake Molch. Both hands must be free for aerial fishing, which means no items may be carried in the weapon, shield and gloves slot.
Catching fish[edit | edit source]
Players must use a cormorant to catch creatures from a fishing pool. The player can obtain one by speaking to Alry, and they must have both hands free to wield the bird. The bird swoops down and returns to the player with the catch. If the player's inventory is full, the bird swallows the catch and doesn't award any experience to the player.
King worms are used as bait, which can be gathered on the island. When the player starts to catch fish, they can choose to cut the fish up into stackable fish chunks, granting Cooking experience; these can be used in place of king worms, where the cormorant will take 1 chunk every 3-6 catches as their reward for gathering the fish.
Unlike Falconry, a catch is guaranteed each time the bird is sent. Multiple players can catch from the same pool and will see people fishing from all sides of the circular island. If the bird is sent while the pool is moving to a new location, it will still count as successful.
The time between catches varies with the distance between the player and the fishing spot. The shortest wait occurs after targeting a fishing spot within the player's 3x3 reach (i.e. directly adjacent to the player) whereby the Cormorant will be available again on the next tick. It is therefore possible to catch one fish per tick while there are fishing spots close enough to the player.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
The following Hunter creatures may be caught using the aerial fishing technique.
|Creature||Fishing Fishing||Hunter Hunter||Cooking Cooking|
The formula for what type of fish is caught is as follows.
Pick a random number 0 to (X-1) inclusive, where
- If the number is 82+, the player will receive a greater siren if the player meets the level requirements.
- If it's 67+, the player will receive a mottled eel if the player meets the level requirements.
- If it's 52+, the player will receive a common tench if the player meets the level requirements.
- Any other number and the player will receive a bluegill.
The following items may also be rarely obtained:
- Golden tench: There is a 1/20,000 chance that players may receive this cosmetic equippable fish in place of a regular catch. Players who do not want it can exchange it with Alry the Angler for 100 Molch pearls.
- Clue bottles.
Molch pearls[edit | edit source]
When fishing within Lake Molch, each catch has a 1/100 to 1/75 chance of giving Molch pearls in addition to the player's catch, which scales based on the player's Fishing and Hunter levels. These can be used to purchase various rewards in Alry the Angler's Angling Accessories.
With an efficient strategy, the player may reach at least a rate of 1,200 fish per hour, which gives average values of 12 to 16 pearls per hour. It is expected to take 25 to 33 hours to collect enough pearls for the angler's outfit, which is considerably slower than obtaining them through the Fishing Trawler minigame.
- Angler's outfit piece — 100 Molch pearls
- Pearl fishing rod — 100 Molch pearls
- Pearl fly fishing rod — 120 Molch pearls
- Pearl barbarian rod — 150 Molch pearls (can only be purchased if the player has the relevant progress in Barbarian Training)
- Cosmetic fish sack — 1,000 Molch pearls
Experience rates[edit | edit source]
Below is a list of approximate experience gained per hour, based on levels.
|Fishing level||Hunter level||Fishing XP||Hunter XP||Cooking XP|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|7 February 2019
(update | poll)
|The golden tench can now be exchanged for 100 Molch pearls by speaking to Alry the Angler.|
|31 January 2019
|The rate of Molch pearls now scale based on Fishing and Hunter level. Previously they were obtained at a flat rate of 1/100. The angler's outfit was also added to the store.|
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 13 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 13 June 2019.) Mod Ash: "Define X = (((Fishing level x 2) + Hunter level) / 3). Pick a random number 0 to (X-1) inclusive. If it's 82+ it'll give a siren if you have the stats. If it's 67+ it'll give an eel if you have the stats. If it's 52+ it'll give a tench if you have the stats. Else bluegill."