Another Slice of H.A.M.
|Another Slice of H.A.M. (#125)|
|Released||24 April 2007 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||John A|
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Go to Ur-tag's house in Dorgesh-Kaan.|
|Description||The dwarves are building a new underground rail link between their city of Keldagrim and the cave goblins' Dorgesh-Kaan, but work is being held up by the discovery of ancient goblin artefacts, and they need the help of a qualified archaeologist. Helping them out should be simple enough - unless you stumble upon another H.A.M. plot against the city.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Note: Dorgesh-Kaan can be reached either via Kazgar from the Lumbridge cellar or via Dartog from the water mill by telling either NPC to take the player to the mines. Afterwards, go south past the sword icon and enter the door.
Excavation[edit | edit source]
Speak to Ur-tag (upstairs) or Ambassador Alvijar. They can be found in the northern part of the city, up the stairs, then east to house with quest start icon. They will explain they are making a train route between Keldagrim and Dorgesh-Kaan. Go to the Station south-west of the city (without going down the first staircase, see middle image above) until you find a transportation sign (on your minimap). Go through the doorway, and you will end up in a train station.
Walk south on the tracks and talk to Tegdak; he will give you a trowel and a specimen brush. Dig up the artefacts hidden on the unfinished railway tracks by using the trowel on them (they look similar to the other rocks on that surface but they are bigger than others so it's quite easy to recognise). Clean all six artefacts by using an artefact on the specimen table - you will then end up with an armour shard, an axe head, a helmet fragment, an ancient mace (shows as a "mace" for now), a shield fragment, and a sword fragment. After cleaning them, talk to Tegdak.
To the village[edit | edit source]
Before continuing, it's recommended that you bank and equip gear to fight with ranged or magic (knives and darts will not work unless you can use longrange). You won't get a chance to bank before the upcoming fight.
You must dismiss your follower before taking Zanik with you!
Now, take Zanik with you, and go north. Exit the station and visit the goblin scribe west of Ur-tag's house, where you started the quest. Talk to him about the symbols that are covering the mace that you found. The scribe will not be able to tell you anything about the symbols, but he suggests that you go talk to the goblin generals in Goblin Village.
Note: Don't teleport to Falador, or Zanik will be left behind, go talk to Oldak downstairs in the north-western part of the city instead.
Go down the stairs in the house just west of the scribe and talk to Oldak. He will teleport you to the Goblin Village and give you a sphere to teleport back to the city. Once you're in the village, talk to one of the generals and a cutscene will begin. In the end, you discover that Zanik is likely the goblins' prophesied 'Chosen Commander'. The mace is also found to have the power of the goblin 'Big High War God', Bandos.
The H.A.M-bush[edit | edit source]
At the end of the cutscene, two H.A.M. Members show up and start attacking the goblins with Ranged and Magic. Take the path around the back (west side) of the buildings, but stay out of the attack range. When you get to the tower, climb up the ladder and kill the H.A.M. Mage and H.A.M. Archer with either Magic or Ranged. A bronze crossbow and 50 bronze bolts spawn upstairs next to the ladder if you need a weapon. They do not respawn if you run out of ammo. However, you can respawn the bolts by closing and reopening the quest's instance. This can be done in a relatively quick fashion by walking a few tiles south of the ladder and then back north. This will reset both of the enemies as well, so if you think you'll need more than 50 bolts, collect extra bolts before you start trying to kill them. You will likely take hits climbing up and down the ladder even if you're only grabbing the bolts.
You can simply fight the two foes, or you can also take cover behind the box so you won't take damage. When you're prepared, come out from behind the crates and attack the H.A.M. If things get too hot, or you need a break, click "hide behind crate" again in order to stop the damage. The mage and ranger will hit at the same time, and never miss, so using protection prayers can only reduce damage. It is possible to avoid all damage by hiding behind crates, click one enemy, and then immediately after hide behind crates. Using a crossbow on rapid-fire allows the player to fire a bolt and hide behind the crates before the enemy's projectile hits. In order to use darts, the player must use the Long Range combat style.
When you have done this, there will be another short cutscene where Zanik is kidnapped by Sigmund. The goblin generals will tell you they are sending two sergeants to help you and that you should meet them at Lumbridge Swamp. They will also give you the ancient goblin mace.
Getting past the guards[edit | edit source]
Sigmund plans to kill her on the train tracks between Keldagrim and Dorgesh-Kaan, making it look like an accident so that war will break out between the dwarves and the goblins. You cannot enter through the Dorgesh-Kaan entrance this time (it will say the staircase is closed), so you must go to the Lumbridge swamp cave entrance and meet the goblin warriors who will be helping you.
Now, go to the Lumbridge Swamp, and talk to the goblin sergeants, Sergeant Slimetoes and Sergeant Mossfists. They should be near the entrance to the Lumbridge Swamp Caves (make sure you have your light source for this part).
- Climb down the entrance to the caves and next to the rope should be another ladder.
- Go down the ladder, and you will briefly see a H.A.M. Guard before he runs away to get reinforcements.
- Now, talk to the goblins. Tell one to wait behind and then run down the hallway into the nearby room, hiding while the two guards run past.
- Tell the second goblin to wait in the room.
- When the two guards walk past the room and engage in combat with the goblin that you left behind, go down by the boxes, and hide behind one of them until a third guard walks past.
- After the third guard passes the room, run back into the room and tell the second goblin to follow you.
- With the goblin following you, run to the last guard standing by the ladder. Make sure that goblin is near you and stand behind him so that the guard attacks him.
- After the guard engages in combat with the goblin, head down the ladder.
Another Sigmund showdown[edit | edit source]
Note: If you use the mace's special attack too quickly after the fight starts there is a possibility that it will not work and the prayer-draining effect will not appear.
At the bottom you find Sigmund (level 64). Use any method of attack, and he will set his prayer on (according to your choice of attack). AFTER he activates his prayer, wield the ancient mace and use its special attack to drain his prayer. After that, resume the fight. Now, he will get hit, but he also seems to have a high Defence. Low levels be warned. If you attempt to untie Zanik whilst the fight is in progress, you will be hit for around 10 Hitpoints of damage.
The end[edit | edit source]
Congratulations! Quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest point
- 3,000 Mining experience
- 3,000 Prayer experience
- The ancient mace
- The ability to buy Goblin Village teleport spheres
- Free access to the Dorgesh-Kaan–Keldagrim train system
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The completion of Another Slice of H.A.M is required for the following:
- The "MAJORS LAVA BADS AIR" anagram during an elite clue.
- Required for completion of Lumbridge & Draynor Diary hard task: Take the train from Dorgesh-Kaan to Keldagrim.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|17 January 2019
A flash effect in a cutscene has been fixed on mobile.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sigmund ties Zanik to a railway track. This is a classic scenario from old films and cartoons, such as Charlie Chaplin films from the 1920's (hence the music in this scene: Slice of Silent Movie).
- The quest page had a different spoiler message on the first day of release. Instead of the usual message, it said, "Stop! H.A.M. time! No spoilers for you, this day." This refers to the song "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer.
- The original sequel to this quest, Land of the Goblins, exists in the archive but has not been added to the live game.