Asgarnia Smith the archaeologist can be found beside the Rug merchant in the Bedabin Camp. He is the starting point for the Desert Treasure quest.
Smith was originally from a more humbler background, as he recounts fishing for bass in Catherby. His discovery of an ancient casket, which contained a meager amount of coins, struck an epiphany within him and he applied to be a field agent to the Varrock Museum. In this capacity, he has earned great wealth through corrupt means by witholding some of the valuable artefacts he discovered, but continues his job out of genuine thrill and satisfaction.
Although his friend and colleague Terry Balando sheds a positive light on his contributions to the museum, Smith is prone to dishonesty, vanity and showboating his achievements, which includes: first to discover the Temple of Ikov and Brimhaven Arena, being voted "Archaeologist of the year" consecutively for four years on the Varrock Herald as well as recovering a Karamjan artefact known as the Golden Monkey of Tee-Tah-Toh.
By the events of Desert Treasure, he was conducting excavations on behalf of the Archaeological Society of Varrock. Smith then sends the player to obtain a translation for the tablet he obtained, and requests their assistance with the promise of splitting any found wealth. After the quest is completed, the player returns to him sans any treasure and he will disappointingly lament his foiled holiday plans, expressing the intent to hunt for treasure in Karamja next.
|5 July –
19 September 2005
The NPC's examine was changed from "Hardened by the cut throat world of archaeology." to "Hardened by the cutthroat world of archaeology."
- Asgarnia Smith is a reference to Indiana Jones, a character in a real-world series of films. His name is akin to Jones' as well, with the name of an area as his first name (Asgarnia is a kingdom in RuneScape and Indiana is an American State), and a very common surname (Jones and Smith are both common in Western cultures). This is further proven with the examine text, as Indiana Jones was also an archaeologist.
- He shares the same last name as Orlando Smith, although relation between the two is unknown.
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "You don't recognize me??? I am the world famous Asgarnia Smith, Archaeologist extraordinaire!"
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Well, it all started the day I was fishing in Catherby, funnily enough."
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Well, it might not seem much to us now kid, but back then, it was a revelation! Why waste my time fishing when there were secret treasures from long ago hidden around the world? I immediately applied to the Museum of Varrock as a field agent, and the rest is history!"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Archaeologist, "Desert Treasure", Old School RuneScape. "Well anyway, let's just assume there's a treasure hidden in the desert somewhere, and let's just say for the sake of argument that maybe if I found a big stash of gold and treasure I wouldn't necessarily hand it all over to the Museum of Varrock."
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Ah, don't sweat it kid. I'll be honest with ya - I'm already rich many times over, and its more the kicks of being a treasure hunter I do it for than the actual cash!"
- ↑ Archaeological expert, "Desert Treasure", Old School RuneScape. "You spoke to the legendary Asgarnia Smith??? Quickly, let me see what he had to give you! He is always at the forefront of archaeological breakthroughs!"
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Hey, thanks kid. Looking snazzy is an important part of being a treasure hunter!"
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "I'm the leading archaeological expert of our time! I was voted archaeologist of the year four years running by the Varrock Herald! Are you REALLY sure you've never heard of me?"
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "I am the one who discovered the long forgotten Temple of Ikov! The one who unearthed the strange trap filled arena in Brimhaven!"
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Well, while he was screaming and waving his sword around, I stood behind a nearby stalactite, then shot him with my shortbow. And that was how I recovered the Golden Monkey of Tee-Ta-Toh."
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Well, that's where you'd be wrong. I work for the Archaeological Society of Varrock, and have been excavating around here recently."
- ↑ Archaeologist, Old School RuneScape. "Aw... I was hoping to go abroad on holiday this year. Maybe I'll go check out Karamja next, I hear there's treasure to be found there..."