|Released||24 August 2022 (Update)|
|Examine||A big ol' monke.|
|Attack style||Melee, Ranged|
Ba-Ba is an ancient baboon matriarch encountered at the end of the Path of Apmeken, within the Tombs of Amascut raid. She was once the matriarch of a large troop of baboons whose domain spread across a large area of the Kharidian Desert. Ba-Ba feared for the future of her troop as she aged, longing to continue ruling as matriarch as she did not see her heir, her daughter, as a worthy successor due to her lazy and arrogant nature.
Amascut eventually learned of Ba-Ba's fears and desires, and promised her immortality to allow her to rule over her troop for all of time, in exchange for her and her troop's servitude. Agreeing to the terms, Ba-Ba and her troop were all killed off with a single spell from Amascut, and were promptly all reanimated as undead. As corrupted thralls, the troop easily overwhelmed their goddess Apmeken and captured her for Amascut.
An adventurer would later defeat Ba-Ba, forcing her to retreat. In her haste, she dropped a big banana, which they would pick up and hand to Awowogei in Ape Atoll. Learning of her troupe's story, Awowogei promised to ensure their memory would live on.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Despite being an undead monster, salve amulets have no effect when fighting Ba-Ba. Her base defence level can be lowered by a maximum of 20 damage, reducing her base defence level down to a minimum of 60. In addition to her standard attacks, Ba-Ba uses a number of special attacks that can be quite difficult to negate without proper communication in a team.
- Shockwave - Ba-Ba prepares to slam the ground, indicated by a shadow on the ground spreading in a cross‐shaped pattern and filling a 5x5 area. This slam deals damage to any player in the area of the shockwave.
- Rockfall - Large boulders fall at random locations throughout the arena and damage the player if not avoided. Shortly after, Ba-Ba will hurl rocks at every player. In order to avoid the damage from the thrown rock, the player will need to run and stand next to one of the large boulders that previously fell.
- Baboon's Discharge - Ba-Ba will summon baboons, who will target the sarcophagi found on the edges of the arena. If a baboon manages to destroy and open a sarcophagus, it will start discharging a deluge of projectiles into the arena.
- Rolling Stones - Once Ba-Ba reaches 66% and 33% health, Ba-Ba will knock the player(s) to the bottom of the arena, and will start to send waves of boulders that rapidly roll down the hill towards the player. In order to survive, the player must attack the cracked boulder and, once it is destroyed, quickly move to the gap left in the wave of boulders. Managing to reach and attack her (on the same lines she's on) will cause her to end the attack early. Getting hit by a boulder deals moderate damage and knocks the player backwards. The boulders will instantly kill any baboons they run into.
- With the Mind the Gap invocation active, the gap in the bottom of the arena will instantly kill players if they fall into it. To avoid the knock back from her scream, player(s) must stand near the sides of the area as opposed to the middle. Standing in the middle of the arena after Ba-Ba's scream will result in the player being flung into the pit, resulting in the player's death.
Drops[edit | edit source]
|Apmeken's capture||1||Always[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Big banana||1||Always[d 2]||Not sold||N/A|
- Only received if players has not read the item.
- Only received if players dealt the most damage to Ba-Ba.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|14 September 2022
Fixed an issue where players could sometimes walk inside of rubble in Baba's boss fight.
|8 September 2022
|1 September 2022
|26 August 2022
Players can no longer safespot Ba-Ba using the fallen rubble in some positions.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ba-Ba's name appears to be derived from Babi, a baboon god from Egyptian mythology.
- Considering her history as an old matriarch, her name may also be inspired by Baba (婆) meaning grandmother, old woman or hag in Slavic languages, Yiddish, Romanian, and Japanese.
- The examine texts features "monke", which is internet slang for "monkey" used by popular memes, most notably the "Reject Humanity, Return to Monke" meme.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "In life, Ba-Ba's troop dominated a large area of the Kharidian Desert, thriving under her watchful eye."
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "Althought a natural part of life, Ba-Ba could not accept her mortality. This fear was not born out of selfishness - her concern was for her troop."
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "Upon her death, Ba-Ba's daughter would have become matriarch, but she was lazy and arrogant. Ba-Ba did not consider her a worthy successor and longed to continue ruling herself."
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "Learning of Ba-Ba's desires, the Devourer promised her a way to rule her troop forever. Believing there to be no other option, Ba-Ba agreed."
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "Ever the deceiver, the Devourer's true plan soon became clear. With a single spell, she killed Ba-Ba and her entire troop, only to reanimate them all together."
- "Apmeken's capture". Old School RuneScape. "With her new army, the Devourer had no difficulties in capturing Apmeken. Now, Ba-Ba rules eternally over her undead horde, ensuring Apmeken remains a prisoner to the Devourer."