|Released||9 May 2005 (Update)|
|Location||East of Burgh de Rott|
|Music||Dangerous Way, Dance of the Undead|
The Barrows minigame is an area-based combat minigame released on 9 May 2005. The minigame is named after the six burial mounds in which the Barrows brothers were entombed after their deaths during the Third Age.
During this minigame, players attempt to rob valuable items from the Barrows brothers' crypts. However, due to an ancient spell, the brothers' wights continued to dwell in the barrows, protecting these treasures.
Barrows is a popular minigame due to the potential of receiving valuable rewards, including the unique Barrows equipment. The objective is to defeat the six Barrows brothers and open the rewards chest.
History[edit | edit source]
They launched a massive attack, known as the Morytania Campaign, to liberate Morytania from the clutches of Lord Lowerniel Vergidiyad Drakan and his vampyres. As the brothers departed, a mysterious stranger granted them superhuman power to battle Drakan's forces, by supplying them with the weapons and armour now known as the Barrows equipment. It succeeded, for the brothers, who were in the front line, seemed invincible. They had not anticipated, however, that the stranger had ulterior motives for helping them.
As the brothers and their accompanying army progressed further into enemy territory in Morytania, the stranger followed them until the brothers became weakened. The brothers were grievously wounded in battle near the Great Vyrewall, and thus the army set up camp just west of Meiyerditch. Soon, the brothers died of their infected wounds simultaneously in the army's camp. The army quickly decided to retreat from Morytania, realising they could never succeed without their former leaders' prowess, but as a reflection of the brothers' bravery, they vowed to honour their martyred heroes as a final act before retreating.
The army spent six days and nights holding off the attacking vampyres to construct burial mounds, the Barrows, to honour the fallen brothers.
As the army began its return, the stranger slowly started walking towards the brothers, now dead and interred in their barrows. Arms outstretched atop the central mound, the stranger chanted in some foul, ancient language, casting his old magic. A vulgar purple light formed in front of him, fell to the earth, and bled into each of the barrows.
Not many of the original army made it back on the journey home, but tales were told of how each night an unnatural glow could be seen on the horizon where they had buried the brothers. Even today there are stories told about those mounds of earth, and of the sights and sounds that have been witnessed nearby.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
There are several different methods for travelling to Barrows. The best options, ordered from fast to slow, are:
- Casting Barrows Teleport in the Arceuus spellbook, which requires 83 and at least 60% Arceuus favour, or using a Barrows teleport tablet will teleport the player right next to the entrance.
- Using the Mort'ton teleport scroll and then running east to Barrows.
- Using the Morytania legs 3 or 4 to Burgh de Rott and running north through Mort'ton towards Barrows.
- Using the Minigame Group Finder to teleport to Shades of Mort'ton. This requires completion of the Shades of Mort'ton. This method is free and takes up no inventory or equipment spaces, though there is a 20-minute cooldown between uses.
- Use Drakan's medallion to teleport to Ver Sinhaza, run north to board the boat to Burgh de Rott, and run north through Mort'ton to Barrows (requires partial completion of Sins of the Father)
- Kharyrll Teleport (requires completion of Desert Treasure) to Canifis, use the Myreque Hideout shortcut south of the pub and run south to cross the rope bridge. Continue running south until reaching Swamp Boaty and use the travel option to travel to Mort'ton. Run east from here.
- Using the fairy ring code BKR and running southeast until reaching Swamp Boaty and use the travel option to travel to Mort'ton. Run east from here.
- At 50 , players can use the fairy ring code bip, go east, and south, following the path through Mort'ton.
- Run east from Canifis, then south through the swamp. Turn east at the northmost hunter spot, loop around to the other nearby hunter spot, then run south west to the swamp exit.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Completion of Priest in Peril is required to enter Morytania.
- Partial Completion of Nature Spirit is required to enter Morytania swamp, and thus to visit the Barrows.
Guide and strategies[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
The table below lists the possible rewards of the Barrows minigame. For more information about reward mechanics and rarities, visit the rewards chest's page.
|Ahrim the Blighted's equipment|
|Dharok the Wretched's equipment|
|Guthan the Infested's equipment|
|Karil the Tainted's equipment|
|Torag the Corrupted's equipment|
|Verac the Defiled's equipment|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Music unlocked[edit | edit source]
|Name||Unlock details||Music track|
|Dance of the Undead||Unlocked in the Barrows area.|
|Dangerous Way||Unlocked in the crypts and tunnels.|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 July 2015
Doing Barrows in fixed screen mode no longer causes your hitsplats and overhead chat to appear distorted.
|16 July 2015
The message stating that you have received more runes from the Barrows as result of the hard tier of the Morytania achievement diary will now only appear once.
|9 January 2014
(update | poll)
Two spade spawns have been added to the building by the entrance to the Barrows.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There is currently a glitch where if Guthan is slain and he heals simultaneously, a message will appear in the player's chatbox stating "We'll finish this later...".
- Prior to an update, there was no indicator telling you what brothers the player had slain, and there was no looting interface upon searching the chest for rewards.
- Upon release, there was also no spade spawn in the nearby shack. This was added in Content Poll #14.
- Despite the fact that the brothers appear to be ghosts, the Crumble Undead spell cannot be used on them.
- If your inventory is full when you loot the chest and you get a Barrows item, it will be dropped on the ground but will be in 100% condition. This and Falador Party Room drop parties are the only ways to drop Barrows weapons, chest pieces and leg pieces on the ground without them degrading. Barrows helms can also be dropped by using them on a hat stand.