Bird house trapping
Bird house trapping is a Hunter technique that is used to catch birds. With this technique the player sets up bird houses on Fossil Island and fills them with seeds. The player then has to wait around fifty minutes for the bird houses to passively fill with birds.
Bird houses[edit | edit source]
Bird house traps are made using the Crafting skill requiring logs and a piece of clockwork with a hammer and chisel. They are then placed in designated spots on Fossil Island to catch birds, providing a passive method of training Hunter and gaining resources.
|Type||Level[d 1]||XP||Level[d 2]||XP[d 3]||Effective XP/HR|
|Regular||5||15||5||280||44.8k - 55.233k|
|Oak||15||20||14||420||67.2k - 82.85k|
|Willow||25||25||24||560||89.6k - 110.47k|
|Teak||35||30||34||700||112k - 138.08k|
|Maple||45||35||44||820||131.2k - 161.75k|
|Mahogany||50||40||49||960||153.6k - 189.37k|
|Yew||60||45||59||1,020||163.2k - 201.2k|
|Magic||75||50||74||1,140||182.4k - 224.88k|
|Redwood||90||55||89||1,200||192k - 236.71k|
- This is the level requirement to craft bird houses. There is no Crafting level required to place the bird houses.
- This is the level requirement to place bird houses. There is no Hunter level required to craft the bird houses. This level can be boosted.
- For checking full bird houses.
Seeds[edit | edit source]
To arm the trap, players need 10 low level hop seeds or herb seeds (Krandorian/Harralander or lower) or 5 high level seeds (Wildblood/Ranarr or above). All seeds give the exact same rewards, so it is recommended to use the seeds that are cheapest or easiest to obtain.
|Seed||Amount||Price per house|
|Dwarf weed seed||5||−3,385|
Locations[edit | edit source]
There are four spots on Fossil Island in which players can place bird house traps, indicated by the icon.
- The first and second are found in the Verdant Valley, south of the Museum Camp.
- The third is found west of the ancient shroom in the Mushroom Forest, and directly north of the magic mushtree.
- The fourth is found by the entrance to the Tar Swamp.
All of these spots are easily accessible by using the Digsite pendant teleport to Fossil Island after using the pendant on the strange machine at the House on the Hill, then using the magic mushtree in the House on the Hill.
Catching birds[edit | edit source]
Once the bird house trap has been set and filled with seeds, it will passively capture birds at random tick intervals (an average of once every 5 minutes), up to a maximum of 10. To claim the Hunter experience and loot, players must return to the bird house trap to empty and dismantle it. The bird house will be lost in the process, but the clockwork will be returned, meaning players only need four clockworks to set all their bird houses indefinitely, after which they will only need to bring hammer, chisel, logs, and seeds. However, it is recommended to take a fifth clockwork to craft birdhouses while moving between sites for efficiency.
Alternatively, players may purchase pre-made birdhouses from the Grand Exchange. Retrieving these will still return the clockwork, which players can sell afterward.
Recommended setup[edit | edit source]
The fastest route is to first teleport with the digsite pendant to Fossil Island and use the magic mushtree to Verdant Valley. The northern birdhouse should be checked first, then the southern. Next, teleport with the mushtree to Mushroom Meadow and check the birdhouse to the north, then run south to the Tar Swamp to check the final birdhouse.
The birdhouses can be crafted one at a time while running between the locations. If doing multiple birdhouse runs in a row, the player can log out while standing near the Tar Swamp birdhouse, in order to avoid the relatively long run south on the second run.
Loot[edit | edit source]
Birdhouses will also give varying numbers of bird nests, dependent on the tier of birdhouse and Hunter level. Each birdhouse will give at most 1 seed nest, followed by 10 chances to get nests off the nest table. The nest table drops regular empty nests, ring nests, egg nests, and rarely also clue nests.
In addition, wearing a strung rabbit foot will replace about 5% of the empty nest drops with ring nests or egg nests. This is different from the bird nest mechanic while Woodcutting, which reduces the number of seed nests.
The seeds used do not affect amount of nests received. Disassembling a birdhouse does not have a Hunter level requirement, meaning boosts only need to be used when placing higher tier birdhouses and not when disassembling them.
Guaranteed drops[edit | edit source]
|Raw bird meat||10[d 1]||Always||250||100|
|Feather||30; 40; 50; 60||Always||60–120||30–60|
- Always dropped to the ground, even if there is space in the inventory.
Seed nest[edit | edit source]
At most one seed nest is given per birdhouse. Having a higher Hunter level will make it more likely to obtain a seed nest. The tier of bird house has no effect on the rate of receiving a seed nest.
|Bird nest (seeds)||1||Varies[d 1]||Not sold||271|
- The rate depends on Hunter level but not the tier of bird house.
Other nests[edit | edit source]
The nest table will be rolled 10 times. The chance of a successful roll is based on both type of birdhouse and Hunter level, with more nests provided with a higher Hunter level and on higher tier birdhouses . The rate is constant at levels below 50. Boosting above 99 will increase the expected number of nests per birdhouse. 
Pre-roll clue nests[edit | edit source]
After a successful roll for the other nest table, an additional series of rolls is performed for clue nests. It is possible to obtain multiple clues from the same birdhouse, but once at least one clue has been awarded, further rolls do not attempt to give clues. Completing tiers of Combat Achievements will increase the rate of receiving easy, medium, hard, and elite clue nests. Clues are not awarded if the player already has a clue of that level.
The following rarities assume the nest roll shown above was successful, and are attempted once on each roll until a clue has been given (up to 10 attempts).
|Clue nest (elite)||1||~1/1,500[d 1][d 2]||Not sold||272|
|Clue nest (hard)||1||~2/1,500[d 1][d 3]||Not sold||271|
|Clue nest (medium)||1||~3/1,500[d 1][d 4]||Not sold||271|
|Clue nest (easy)||1||~4/1,500[d 1][d 5]||Not sold||270|
|Clue nest (beginner)||1||~30/1,500[d 1]||Not sold||270|
- Not dropped if the player already has a clue of this level.
- The rate is improved after completing the Elite Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Hard Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Medium Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Easy Combat Achievements.
Ring and egg nests[edit | edit source]
If no clue is given then a ring, egg, or empty nest will be awarded. Wearing a strung rabbit foot will replace some empty nest drops with ring and egg nests.
|Bird nest (ring)||1||32/100; 32/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (red egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (green egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (blue egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (empty)||1||65/100; 60/95[d 2]||5,171||271|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|21 July 2021
Clue nest rates are now affected by completion of Combat Achievements, and multiple clue nests can be obtained from a single birdhouse. Previously, there was a chance between 1/295 and 1/150 to get a clue on each of the 10 rolls, depending on Hunter level, with a further 1/1000 chance to award a beginner clue if that roll failed. Only 1 clue could be awarded per birdhouse.
|7 April 2021
Strung rabbit foot slightly increases the chance of nests containing bird eggs from bird house trapping.
|17 March 2021
(update | poll)
There is now a small chance of receiving bird's egg nests when emptying a full birdhouse.
|2 May 2019
A message now appears when seeds are added to a Bird house, making it easier to see when this has been done.
|18 April 2019
(update | poll)
Bird houses now have a left click/tap 'build' option which will erect the best bird house in your inventory.
|22 November 2018
(update | poll)
|26 July 2018
Fixed an issue where birdhouses might not update when logging in near one.
|3 May 2018
|18 January 2018
(update | poll)
|14 September 2017
Relocated a birdhouse to be inside of Verdant Valley to assist in getting to it via Mushtree.
|8 September 2017
The XP for taking down a birdhouse has been doubled.
|7 September 2017
(update | poll)
Birdhouses are released along with Fossil Island.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon placing seeds on the bird nest, a dead bird's feet will immediately appear in the nest even though inspecting the nest at the time will inform the player that it has not attracted any birds yet.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 July 2018. (Archived from the original on 27 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[Do the seeds you place in birdhouses have an effect on the amount of nests you get?] No."
- The Old School Team. "Bird Nest Balancing and PvP Changes". 22 November 2018. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News.
- The Old School Team. "Collection Log Improvements and The Last of Poll 74". 7 April 2021. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 5 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 10 June 2021.) Mod Ash: "You get 1 roll for a seed nest, with a chance of 0% at level 1 and 78.5% at level 99. Then you get 10 rolls for more nests. Their chances at level 99 are 10.0%, 12.5%, 12.8%, 13.0%, 14.0%, 15.0%, 16.0%, 17.0% and 17.5% for the wood tiers. These scale down by half at level 50."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 24 July 2021. (Archived from the original on 6 August 2021.) Mod Ash: "I believe it does help with the total quantity of egg/ring/empty nests. It does not make you more likely to get the seed nest."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 19 June 2020. (Archived from the original on 13 July 2021.) Mod Ash: "It rolls 10 times for clue/ring/empty nests. These rolls initially have a 1/295 chance if your Hunter level's 1, rising to 1/150 if it's 99. If you get a clue nest, the remaining rolls from the 10 will not have a chance of being a clue nest again."
|Trap objects and scenery|