Bird house trapping
Bird house trapping is a Hunter technique that is used to catch birds. With this technique the player sets up bird houses on Fossil Island and fills them with seeds. The player then has to wait around fifty minutes for the bird houses to passively fill with birds.
Bird houses[edit | edit source]
Bird house traps are made using the Crafting skill requiring logs and a piece of clockwork with a hammer and chisel. They are then placed in designated spots on Fossil Island to catch birds, providing a passive method of training Hunter and gaining resources.
|Type||Crafting Crafting||Hunter Hunter|
|Level[d 1]||Exp||Level[d 2]||Exp[d 3]|
- This is the level requirement to craft bird houses. There is no Crafting level required to place the bird houses.
- This is the level requirement to place bird houses. There is no Hunter level required to craft the bird houses. This level can be boosted for.
- For checking full bird houses.
Catching birds[edit | edit source]
Once the bird house trap has been set, players will need to fill it with 10 hop seeds or herb seeds in order to lure the birds in. Wildblood seeds and herb seeds above and including ranarr count as two seeds for this purpose. Once the trap is full of seed, it will passively capture birds at random tick intervals (an average of once every 5 minutes), up to a maximum of 10. To claim the Hunter experience and loot, players must return to the bird house trap to empty and dismantle it. The bird house will be lost in the process, but the clockwork will be returned, meaning players only need four clockworks to set all their bird houses indefinitely, after which they will only need to bring hammer, chisel, logs, and seeds. However, it is recommended to take a fifth clockwork to craft birdhouses while moving between sites.
Equipment and inventory[edit | edit source]
Loot[edit | edit source]
The player will roll this table once for every bird caught, up to ten times per bird house. The nests may be regular empty nests, seed nests, ring nests and rarely also Clue nests. Egg nests can't be obtained this way.
|Raw bird meat||1||Always||51||10|
|Bird nest||1||Varies[d 1]||4,454||271|
- The chance of successfully receiving a bird nest is dependent on the tier of bird house and the player's Hunter level. The seeds used do not affect amount of nests received.
|Type||Average birdnests per run|
Locations[edit | edit source]
There are four spots on Fossil Island in which players can place bird house traps.
- The first and second are found in the Verdant Valley, south of the Museum Camp.
- The third is found west of the ancient shroom in the Mushroom Forest, and directly north of the magic mushtree.
- The fourth is found by the entrance to the Tar Swamp.
All of these spots are easily accessible by using the Digsite pendant teleport to Fossil Island after using the pendant on the strange machine at the House on the Hill, then using the magic mushtree in the House on the Hill.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 July 2018. Mod Ash: "[Do the seeds you place in birdhouses have an effect on the amount of nests you get?] No."