|Released||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Examine||A fierce dragon with black scales!|
|Max hit||21 (Melee)|
|Weakness||Stab, Ranged, dragonbane weapons|
|Attack style||Melee (Slash)|
|+0||+0||+0||+0%||Not immune||Not immune|
Black dragons are very powerful monsters, and like all other dragons, an anti-dragon shield or equivalent or Antifire potion is recommended in order for the player to protect themselves from their dragonfire. They are also the strongest common chromatic dragon in-game. Black dragons are the only common chromatic dragons that drop the draconic visage.
Baby black dragons, Brutal black dragons and the King Black Dragon may be killed in place for black dragons on a slayer task. Although they drop black dragonhide, Lava dragons do not count towards a black dragon task.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Taverley Dungeon
- Taverley Dungeon upper level (slayer assignment only)
- Evil Chicken's Lair - requires starting the Sir Amik Varze subquest of Recipe for Disaster
- Corsair Cove Dungeon (Myths' Guild basement) - requires completion of Dragon Slayer II
Location comparisons[edit | edit source]
In Taverley Dungeon, black dragons are found in the western wing of the dungeon. There are two spots; a common and slayer area. The common area only contains two black dragons, while the slayer area has twelve black dragons. The black dragons in the slayer only area can only be killed when assigned black dragons; players will be stopped by Slieve if they attempt to attack them off-task. The common area requires a dusty key or 70 Agility (boostable) to reach the dragons, while the slayer area can be accessed by steps near the entrance.
The Evil Chicken's Lair has four black dragons, the most out of any common area. Black dragons here require starting Sir Amik Varze's subquest in Recipe for Disaster, and until the dragon token is redeemed, they will only drop it and their 100% drops. Accessing this area requires a raw chicken offered to the chicken shrine in Zanaris.
Two dragons may be found in the Corsair Cove Dungeon. Accessing this area requires completion of Dragon Slayer II, but it is the closest location to a bank.
Black dragons may also be found in the Wilderness in two locations; the Lava Maze Dungeon and Revenant Caves. There are two dragons in the Lava Maze Dungeon, and accessing them requires a lengthy trek through the Lava Maze, requiring a sharp weapon to cut webs. Some antipoison may be needed due to the presence of poison spiders near the dragons. There are also three dragons in the Revenant Caves; these dragons are slightly stronger to those found in the other locations mentioned above, and are the only ones that reside in a Multicombat area. These dragons are avoided due to being next to revenants, a high traffic area and with little means to escape if attacked by other players. Players are not recommended to kill black dragons in the Wilderness unless part of a Wilderness slayer assignment, as doing so runs the risk of being killed by other players.
Safespots found in the middle of the Taverley Dungeon's upper area.
A safespot in the Lava Maze Dungeon.
Drops[edit | edit source]
100%[edit | edit source]
|Dragon token||1||Always||Not sold||0|
Weapons/Armour[edit | edit source]
|Mithril 2h sword||1||Uncommon||1,260||1,560|
Ammunition/Runes[edit | edit source]
|Adamant javelin||30; 60||Common||1,950-3,900||2,880-5,760|
|Rune knife||2; 15||Uncommon||532-3,990||200-1,500|
|Dragon javelin heads||10–25||Uncommon||9,900-24,750||11,700-29,250|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Coins||196; 330; 629; 1,681||Common||196-1,681||196-1,681|
|Adamantite bar||1; 2||Uncommon||2,007-4,014||384-768|
|Looting bag||1||1/30||Not sold||N/A|
|Ensouled dragon head||1||1/35||7,906||390|
|Larran's key||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold||54|
|Mysterious emblem||1||1/60; 1/30[d 1] ||74,053||30,000|
|Brimstone key||1||1/74.6[d 2]||Not sold||N/A|
|Slayer's enchantment||1||1/168; 1/120[d 1]||1,103||720|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||1/128; 1/64||Not sold||12|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/500; 1/250||Not sold||12|
Rare drop table
In addition to the drops above, this monster also has access to the rare drop table.
|Loop half of key||1||Common||10,342||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||Common||10,206||60|
|Rune 2h sword||1||Uncommon||37,933||38,400|
|Rune sq shield||1||Uncommon||22,597||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||Uncommon||6,300||4,500|
|Dragon med helm||1||Rare||59,252||60,000|
|Shield left half||1||Rare||65,793||66,000|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Only dropped after completion of Monkey Madness II.
- Only dropped by those found in the Wilderness.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 Mar 2019.) Mod Ash: "It's calculated off the HP: 1 in (155 - (HP/2)) There's none with HP over 300, but it'd disregard values higher than that."
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 16 January 2019. Mod Kieren: "It follows a curve up until level 100 then scales linearly between those 2 values upto level 350 combat. Creatures over thsi[sic] will cap at 1/50. "
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 March 2018. (Archived from the original on 5 June 2019.) Mod Ash: "For nastier bosses (e.g. Callisto) it's 1/30. For other things it scales between 1/320 and 1/80 as the NPC's HP scales from 0 to 300."
- 1/64 if a Ring of wealth (i) is worn and fought in the Wilderness.
- 1/250 if a Ring of wealth (i) is worn and fought in the Wilderness.
|Elvarg||Strongest monster in RuneScape||King Black Dragon|
|Subquest of Recipe for Disaster|