Blue dragons are the third strongest of the chromatic dragons, behind red dragons and black dragons. Like all dragons, they can breathe dragonfire, which can inflict up to 50 damage if proper protections aren't used. Dragonfire can be mitigated by equipping an anti-dragon shield or a dragonfire shield – alongside the usage of an antifire potion, which will completely negate dragonfire damage. On top of the strong dragonfire breath, they also attack with an accurate slash attack.
Blue dragons are assignable as a Slayer task. If players wish to avoid the blue dragons, they can kill baby blue dragons within the Myths' Guild, Isle of Souls or the Taverley Dungeon.
With a surprisingly fast respawn time of around 20 seconds, even areas with single spawns aren't impractical for training or collecting resources.
Two are fought during Dragon Slayer II.
Protections from dragonfire[edit | edit source]
The following methods will provide partial protection:
- An anti-dragon shield or a dragonfire shield (permanent): offers high protection, significantly reducing dragonfire damage.
- An antifire potion (temporary): offers partial protection, resulting in damage reduction generally with resistance similar to the shield mentioned above. Occasionally, you may be 'horribly burnt by the dragon fire', receiving moderate damage.
The following methods will provide 100% protection, but each has its own pros and cons:
- An antifire potion + an anti-dragon or a dragonfire shield: temporary but saves a large amount of food considering how long each potion lasts. This method is strongly recommended as you can use prayer flicking to Protect from Melee, ultimately negating 100% of damage.
- An antifire potion or anti-dragon/dragonfire shield + Protect from Magic: not advised due to the high cost of prayer potions, this is only recommended for players with a high Prayer level. Alternatively, prayer flicking is an option. This leaves players vulnerable to melee attacks, however.
- A super antifire potion: More expensive than antifire potions, but they fully protect from dragonfire, allowing the use of a better shield or defender.
Alternate methods to avoid usage of potions includes the Heroes' Guild, which has a blue dragon in a fenced off area that can be safespotted. If one has partially completed Watchtower, there are safespots in the Ogre Enclave with six dragons that spawn. Taverley Dungeon also has some safespots with the use of the columns and big eggs. In the upper level to the north-west there are some rocks you can safespot behind. In the passageway to the black demons next to the agility shortcut a single blue dragon and baby blue dragon can be safespotted. Below the Myths' Guild, in the Corsair Cove Dungeon, there are multiple safespots and practically no competition from other players, as the requirements to get there are quite high.
There is a safespot next to adamantite rocks in Isle of soul dungeon.
The following drop rates are provided by Jagex, unless otherwise specified.
The average Blue dragon kill is worth 4,172.29.
The average Blue dragon kill while on a Konar task is worth 5,163.18.
There is a 15/128 chance of rolling the herb drop table.
There is a 5/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/51.29; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/102.4; 1/52[d 2]||354||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/204.8; 1/104[d 2]||633||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/409.6; 1/208[d 2]||1,306||60|
|Chaos talisman||1||1/1,092.27; 1/554.67[d 2][d 3]||467||2|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,092.27; 1/554.67[d 2][d 3]||1,066||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/1,638.4; 1/832[d 2]||2,757||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/3,276.8; 1/1,664[d 2]||9,842||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/3,276.8; 1/1,664[d 2]||9,846||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/3,276.8; 1/1,664[d 2]||900||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/52,428.8; 1/3,120[d 2][d 4]||11,787||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/104,857.6; 1/6,240[d 2][d 4]||65,363||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/139,810.13; 1/8,320[d 2][d 4]||37,318||37,440|
|29 March 2004 –
29 August 2006
|29 August 2006 –|