|Released||21 November 2006 (Update)|
|Examine||If a creature goes inside, the box should then slam shut.|
|High alch||19 coins|
|Low alch||12 coins|
|Respawn time||100 ticks (60 seconds)|
|Exchange||47 coins (info)|
A box trap is a type of trap used in the Hunter skill. The box trapping technique is used to catch ferrets and chinchompas. With the required Hunter level and partial completion of the Eagles' Peak quest, the player may set up a box trap. When a chinchompa or ferret passes the trap, it may be caught, but only when the player is not standing on the trap.
If the prey is successfully caught, the box trap will close in around the animal, and the player will have the option to "check" the trap. If not successful, the trap will also close, and the player will have to reset it.
Adding bait to a trap will increase the catch rate by +3%, while smoking a trap will increase the catch rate by +2%. Due to the low increase of the catch rate, most players believe that smoking or adding bait to traps doesn't justify the extra actions it takes.
Box traps may be bought from Aleck's Hunter Emporium. in Yanille or the Nardah Hunter Shop in Nardah. One can also be obtained for free by searching the crate adjacent to the bookcases in the northernmost house at Land's End. They can also be obtained from hunter kit.
Like other laid traps, box traps cannot be placed:
- while in legacy duels at the Emir's Arena
- at the Blast Furnace
- Taverley, Dwarven Mine and Mining Guild
- Wintertodt (including the waiting area) and Ungael's crater
- Tempoross Cove
- Hallowed Sepulchre and The Nightmare fight
- on fairy rings
- inside most indoor areas
- Farming Guild
- Basement of Doom - while spectating your cat through a curtain
- Lizardman Temple
- player-owned houses
- inside banks and next to various bank chests
- Hespori's cave
- Zulrah's shrine
- Catacombs of Kourend
- in underwater areas
- Theatre of Blood
- near Shura and Sisterhood Sanctuary lobby
- in the Soul Wars Lobby
Creatures[edit | edit source]
The following Hunter creatures may be caught using the box trapping technique.
|27||Ferret||115||Piscatoris Hunter area|
|53||Chinchompa||198.25||Piscatoris Hunter area, Isle of Souls and Kourend Woodland|
|63||Carnivorous chinchompa||265||Feldip Hunter area, red chinchompa hunting ground and Gwenith Hunter area|
Multiple traps[edit | edit source]
Box trapping can be done with multiple traps at once, with the maximum amount of traps depending on the player's Hunter level.
Item sources[edit | edit source]
|Box trap pack||N/A||100 (noted)||Always|
|Chest (Isle of Souls Dungeon)||28||1–2||6/200|
Spawns[edit | edit source]
|Isle of Souls - near spinning wheel||1||Maplink|
|Land's End - inside a searchable crate||1||Maplink|
Shop locations[edit | edit source]
|Aleck's Hunter Emporium.||Yanille||25||6s||38||22|
|Nardah Hunter Shop.||Nardah||25||6s||38||22|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|22 September 2021
Box traps can no longer be placed on top of flowers indoors.
|25 October 2018
Box traps may no longer be placed at Blast Furnace.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the player attempts to lay a box trap at Ungael's crater, the chatbox will state "It's far too cold for you to setup a trap here." even though other cold areas such as the Ice Path do allow players to set up traps.
- Box traps may be laid to temporarily prevent rockfalls from blocking a path at Motherlode Mine, until the box trap collapses and for a short period thenafter. The falling rocks will still damage the player.
References[edit | edit source]
|Trap objects and scenery|