|Released||4 July 2006 (Update)|
|Examine||Big... Cow-like... But cows don't have serpent tails!|
|Attack style||Stab, Magic|
|Respawn time||20 ticks (12 seconds)|
|Slayer XP||40 xp|
Catablepon are creatures that appear to be green bulls with reptilian tails. They are found on the third level of the Stronghold of Security. They drop the top of sceptre, one of four parts of the Skull sceptre.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Players are not advised to train on these with Melee, as Weaken can drain their Strength quite significantly, which will affect the player's experience rates in turn, unless Strength potions or Restore potions are used (you can also use the Protect from Magic prayer). They can use melee and magic attacks often and cast Weaken at the same time. After the spell has decreased 8% +3 of your Strength levels, catablepon will stop casting Weaken, but casts before this threshold can still bring you lower than the threshold. Ranged or Magic attacks are recommended instead of melee.
On the west side of north-western room, there is a ranged and mage safespot behind the "Stinking/Dripping tendrils" available. Walk into the western door and the westernmost tile behind the tendrils. Another safespot is in the same room. Enter from the western door and stand against the wall beside the door. Finally, another safespot is available in the room right before the central room. Standing in the north-westernmost corner of the room, it is possible to attack the catablepon from a distance. Level 64 catablepon give 70 Slayer experience per kill, while levels 68 and 49 give only 50 and 40 respectively, so to maxmise for Slayer experience, only kill level 64 catablepon on task.
Location[edit | edit source]
|Stronghold of Security: Pit of Pestilence||49||8||Maplink|
|Stronghold of Security: Pit of Pestilence||64||4||Maplink|
|Stronghold of Security: Pit of Pestilence||68||14||Maplink|
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 224,252 samples from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
100%[edit | edit source]
Armour[edit | edit source]
|Adamant med helm(m)||1||1/101||906||1,152|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
Herbs[edit | edit source]
There is a 3/101 chance of rolling the herb drop table.
|Grimy guam leaf(m)||1||1/134.7||43||7|
|Grimy ranarr weed(m)||1||1/391.8||5,579||18|
|Grimy irit leaf(m)||1||1/538.7||877||10|
|Grimy dwarf weed(m)||1||1/1,436.4||961||14|
Seeds[edit | edit source]
There is a 1/101 chance of rolling the allotment seed drop table.
|Snape grass seed||1||1/12,928||4,587||56|
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Rune essence(f)||15 (noted)||5/101||210||30|
|Pure essence(m)||15 (noted)||5/101||30||30|
|Eye of newt||1||7/101||4||1|
Coins[edit | edit source]
- Only dropped in free-to-play
Other[edit | edit source]
|Top of sceptre||1||3/101||Not sold||N/A|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 2/101 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/101.19; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/202; 1/102.58[d 2]||313||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/404; 1/205.16[d 2]||590||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/808; 1/410.31[d 2]||1,094||60|
|Nature talisman(m)||1||1/2,154.67; 1/1,094.17[d 2]||150||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/3,232; 1/1,641.25[d 2]||2,689||120|
|Loop half of key(m)||1||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||10,471||60|
|Tooth half of key(m)||1||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||10,765||60|
|Rune javelin(m)||5||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||835||1,200|
|Rune spear(m)||1||1/103,424; 1/6,154.69[d 2][d 3]||12,023||12,480|
|Shield left half(m)||1||1/206,848; 1/12,309.37[d 2][d 3]||65,746||66,000|
|Dragon spear(m)||1||1/275,797.33; 1/16,412.5[d 2][d 3]||42,069||37,440|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (medium)(m)||1||1/101[d 1]||Not sold||12|
- The medium clue scroll drop rate increases to 1/95 with the completion of the medium combat achievements.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Their name appears to be a corruption of 'Catoblepas' (from the Greek καταβλέπω, (katablépō) "to look downwards," due to their head shape), a legendary cow-like creature from real-world Ethiopian myth that is similar in appearance, thought to have originated from encounters with wildebeest.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 27 November 2019. Archived from the original on 25 May 2020. Mod Ash: "No, for some reason the dev has locked that roll so that only members can get it. The code doesn't indicate why, and the dev has since left the studio."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 21 August 2019. Archived from the original on 09 September 2019. Mod Ash: "3% from ankou, 3% from fleshcrawlers 3/101 for catablepon, 3/101 for minotaurs."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 november 2015. Archived from the original on 20 April 2019. Mod Ash: "There's a 1/101 chance from catablepon."