|Released||4 July 2006 (Update)|
|Examine||Big… Cow-like... But cows don't have serpent tails!|
|Slayer XP||40 xp|
|Not immune to poison||Not immune to venom|
Catablepon are creatures that appear to be green bulls with reptilian tails. They are found on the third level of the Stronghold of Security. They cast the magic spell Weaken (which appears as a spraying white sparkle) to drain up to 15% of their opponent's maximum Strength level.
Players are not advised to train on these with Melee, as Weaken can drain their Strength quite significantly, which will affect the player's experience rates in turn, unless Strength potions or Restore potions are used (you can also use the Protect from Magic prayer). They can use melee and magic attacks often and cast Weaken at the same time. After the spell has decreased 10 Strength levels, Catablepon will stop casting Weaken. Ranged or magic attacks are recommended for those attempting to kill Catablepons. On the west side of northwestern room, there is a ranged and mage safespot behind the "Stinking tendrils" available. Walk into the western door and the western most tile behind the tendrils. Another safespot is in the same room. Enter from the western door and stand against the wall beside the door.
Location[edit | edit source]
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 224,252 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
100%[edit | edit source]
Armour[edit | edit source]
|Adamant med helm(m)||1||1/101||960||1,152|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
Herbs[edit | edit source]
There is a 3/101 chance of rolling the herb drop table.
|Grimy guam leaf(m)||1||1/134.7||20||7|
|Grimy ranarr weed(m)||1||1/391.8||6,573||18|
|Grimy irit leaf(m)||1||1/538.7||631||10|
|Grimy dwarf weed(m)||1||1/1,436.4||565||14|
Seeds[edit | edit source]
There is a 1/101 chance of rolling the allotment seed drop table.
|Snape grass seed||1||1/12,928||2,834||56|
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Rune essence(f)||15 (noted)||5/101||180||30|
|Pure essence(m)||15 (noted)||5/101||30||30|
|Eye of newt||1||7/101||4||1|
Coins[edit | edit source]
- Only dropped in free-to-play
Other[edit | edit source]
|Top of sceptre||1||3/101||Not sold||N/A|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 2/101 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/101.19; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/202; 1/102.58[d 2]||399||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/404; 1/205.16[d 2]||653||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/808; 1/410.31[d 2]||1,275||60|
|Chaos talisman(m)||1||1/2,154.67; 1/1,094.17[d 2]||598||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/3,232; 1/1,641.25[d 2]||2,568||120|
|Loop half of key(m)||1||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||10,024||60|
|Tooth half of key(m)||1||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||10,002||60|
|Rune javelin(m)||5||1/6,464; 1/3,282.5[d 2]||860||1,200|
|Rune spear(m)||1||1/103,424; 1/6,154.69[d 2][d 3]||11,801||12,480|
|Shield left half(m)||1||1/206,848; 1/12,309.37[d 2][d 3]||65,129||66,000|
|Dragon spear(m)||1||1/275,797.33; 1/16,412.5[d 2][d 3]||37,545||37,440|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (medium)(m)||1||1/101||Not sold||12|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Their name appears to be a corruption of 'Catoblepas' (from the Greek καταβλέπω, (katablépō) "to look downwards," due to their body habitus), a legendary cow-like creature from real-world Ethiopian myth that is similar in appearance, thought to have originated from encounters with wildebeest.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 27 November 2019. (Archived from the original on 25 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "No, for some reason the dev has locked that roll so that only members can get it. The code doesn't indicate why, and the dev has since left the studio."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 21 August 2019. (Archived from the original on 09 September 2019.) Mod Ash: "3% from ankou, 3% from fleshcrawlers 3/101 for catablepon, 3/101 for minotaurs."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 november 2015. (Archived from the original on 20 April 2019.) Mod Ash: "There's a 1/101 chance from catablepon."