The Certer random event is when you are asked to identify a certain object by one of the certer brothers, Niles, Miles, or Giles. One of the certer brothers will present an object to the player, with three possible choices of what the object is. If the player correctly identifies the item, the certer brother will give the player a reward such as an uncut ruby, sapphire, emerald, or diamond, or even a Loop half of key or Tooth half of key.
Either some Coins, a Gem (cut or uncut, up to diamond), Cosmic talisman, Nature talisman, Half key, Spinach roll or Kebab.
In RuneScape Classic, certers ran exchange stalls around RuneScape converting various items into certificates ("certs" for short) for large quantity trading. The certs were similar to the present-day bank notes, being stackable, except five items traded for one certificate. Because certs were only available from certers, many trips had to be made from the bank to the certers to exchange items for notes or notes for items, which was tedious.
When RuneScape 2 was released, the certers were removed from the game and replaced with the bank note system. Existing certificates were all converted into bank notes. Niles, Giles and Miles were soon re-released as this random event, in reference to their old role as certers, but the other certers were not.
Before the random event rework, the certer gave the player four warnings. If the player still ignored him, he teleported the player to a random, relatively safe place and turned his inventory and equipment into bank notes. Some players considered this very annoying during combat. After the rework, there was no longer a penalty for ignoring the certer.
- When a player encounters a certer underwater, the certer wears the same diving apparatus as the player.
- Many have pointed out that these certers asked you a question, appearing that they genuinely need the answer, but they know which answer is right or wrong when you answered the question.
- The certers used to only note items and not teleport the player; however, players took advantage of this by dropping any items they wished to remain un-noted and then answering incorrectly, resulting in the certers noting their raw materials and allowing the player to carry more.
- When certers used to appear as random events, it was possible for them to continuously follow you around if you talked to them but exited out of the answering screen.
- A Postbag from the Hedge released in 2008, suggested that this random event would be removed which forshadowed future updates to RuneScape 3, and another much later update to Old School RuneScape.