Chompy birds can only be killed after completing the Big Chompy Bird Hunting quest. Killing them requires a comp ogre bow or ogre bow with brutal arrows or ogre arrows. They cannot be killed with melee or Magic. Bloated toads must be used as bait lure them to the area. Bloated toads are made by using ogre bellows filled with swamp gas on nearby toads at the swamp. Chompy birds spawn in a 10 tile radius around the bloated toad (21x21 square). A Chompy bird will leave if it is not killed after one minute.
Killing a Chompy Bird yields the message: "You scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill." Each kill yields a chompy bird corpse which can be plucked for feathers, a raw chompy, and bones. The bonecrusher's effect works on the bones when plucking the dead chompy. After 30 kills, players can claim their first chompy bird hat.
The bird Slayer task assigned by Turael and Spria can be completed with chompy birds; while they are much slower kills than chickens, it can be sped up with gear listed on chompy bird hat. Players do these on task for progress towards completing the Western Provinces Diary.
Completing tiers of the Western Provinces Diary will grant benefits when killing chompy birds:
- Completing the easy tasks will grant a 25% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the medium tasks will grant a 50% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the elite tasks will grant a 100% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
Appearance until 9 July 2007
Dead appearance until
9 July 2007
- The chompy bird's appearance is similar to the extinct Dodo.
- Killing 4,000 chompy birds yields 160,000 Ranged experience and 40,000 Hitpoints experience. The 4,000th kill also grants an additional 30,000 Ranged experience for a total of 190,000 Ranged experience.
- Attempting to drop a bloated toad at the quest location after Big Chompy Bird Hunting is complete yields the message: "Rantz doesn't like it when you chompy hunt on his turf. But you can hunt for chompys in the rest of the ogre area."