|Released||18 May 2004 (Update)|
|Examine||A large boisterous bird, a delicacy for ogres.|
|Attack speed||Does not attack|
|Slayer XP||10 xp|
Chompy birds are part of the chompy bird hunting activity. They can only be killed after completing the Big Chompy Bird Hunting quest. Killing them requires a comp ogre bow or ogre bow with brutal arrows or ogre arrows. They cannot be killed with melee or Magic. Bloated toads must be used as bait to lure them to the area. Bloated toads are made by using ogre bellows filled with swamp gas on nearby toads at the swamp. chompy birds spawn in a 10 tile radius around the bloated toad (21x21 square). A chompy bird will leave if it is not killed after one minute.
Killing a chompy bird yields the message: "You scratch a notch on your bow for the chompy bird kill." Each kill yields a chompy bird corpse which can be plucked for feathers, a raw chompy, and bones, while it will disappear after two minutes if left untouched. The bonecrusher's effect works on the bones when plucking the dead chompy. After 30 kills, players can claim their first chompy bird hat.
The bird Slayer task assigned by Turael and Spria can be completed with chompy birds; while they are much slower kills than chickens, it can be sped up with gear listed on chompy bird hunting. Players do these on task for progress towards completing the Western Provinces Diary.
Completing tiers of the Western Provinces Diary will grant benefits when killing chompy birds:
- Completing the easy tasks will grant a 25% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the medium tasks will grant a 50% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
- Completing the elite tasks will grant a 100% chance of two chompy birds appearing.
Spawn mechanics[edit | edit source]
Each bloated toad has a 1 in 5 chance to attract a chompy bird every 25 ticks (15 seconds) from the moment it is placed on the ground. Up to four rolls can be made by a bloated toad before it bursts, although no further rolls are made after a toad has successfully called down a chompy.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although chompy birds are not particularly hard to kill, especially considering the fact they do not fight back when attacked, it is generally useful to optimise the kills per hour when trying to obtain a higher kill count, either for the Western Diary, the chompy chick pet, or for the minigame's direct rewards, being the chompy bird hats and the Ranged experience reward.
The best equipment for hunting chompy birds is the equipment that gives the highest offensive ranged stats. While the Void Knight equipment's accuracy bonus does apply, its damage bonus does not get applied when using ogre bows, so using normal ranged armour such as black dragonhide armour, Armadyl armour, or Masori armour is recommended. The most significant impact on kill speed will be the arrows that are used. Only ogre arrows and brutal arrows can be used, meaning that the fastest kills will be achieved when using rune brutal arrows. However, to save some money, using adamant brutal or mithril brutal may be viable alternatives.
The fastest way to kill chompies is to use one of the areas just south of Castle Wars near the swamp bubbles to lay down toads. Fill your inventory with around 25 ogre bellows (less if plucking the chompies) and leaving three slots empty, and fill all of the bellows using the swamp bubbles. After filling the first bellows, the rest of the bellows in your inventory will be filled one by one, every few ticks. This can be sped up by manually using the empty bellows on the bubbles. After filling up all of the bellows, inflate up to three swamp toads and lay them anywhere on the floor. Immediately continue inflating more toads and dropping them down, until chompies start flying down from the sky. Simply kill the chompies, and continue inflating and dropping toads on the floor.
Players who have completed the elite Western Diary trying to obtain a chompy chick pet should also pluck the chompies after killing them, since this will give them another chance at obtaining the pet. Players who are not specifically trying to get this pet as soon as possible are advised to leave the dead chompies, as plucking them generally is not worth the time. When plucking chompies, it is recommended to have one inventory slot free for the feathers that are automatically obtained when plucking, and optionally use one slot for the bonecrusher for a small amount of passive Prayer experience.
With high Ranged, Ranged Strength and Ranged-boosting Prayers are the best improvements to kill speed. Above 60 Ranged accuracy, more does not increase kill times because of chompy's low Defence. Lower Ranged levels require checking a damage calculator to determine what accuracy is needed so that kills are optimal. Use either Rigour or Eagle Eye, rune brutals, a necklace of anguish, and Ava's assembler for maximum Ranged strength.
Locations[edit | edit source]
|Feldip Hills||Kandarin, south and south-west of Castle Wars|
|Fairy ring code AKS||Fairy ring code BKP|
Drops[edit | edit source]
100%[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
|Chompy chick||1||1/500[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
- Only players who have completed the elite Western Provinces Diary are eligible to receive this pet.
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
|9 July 2007
The NPC was graphically updated.
|5 July –
19 September 2005
The NPC now always appears above players standing in the same tile.
Gallery (historical)[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The chompy bird's appearance is similar to the extinct dodo.
- Killing 4,000 chompy birds yields 160,000 Ranged experience and 40,000 Hitpoints experience. The 4,000th kill also grants an additional 30,000 Ranged experience for a total of 190,000 Ranged experience.
- Attempting to drop a bloated toad at the quest location after Big Chompy Bird Hunting is complete yields the message: "Rantz doesn't like it when you chompy hunt on his turf. But you can hunt for chompys in the rest of the ogre area."
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 30 August 2022. Archived from the original on 4 March 2023. Mod Ash: "[Hello, once a chompy bird has been killed, how long will the corpse lay on the ground for before it despawns? (...)] 2 mins, I think. (...)"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 5 September 2019. Archived from the original on 26 May 2020. Mod Ash: "The accuracy benefits do stack. I've previously confirmed that they didn't stack with a lot of such effects, but the accuracy calculation appears to have changed in July."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 January 2022. Archived from the original on 14 January 2022. Mod Ash: "Correct, it does not. Only the accuracy was changed in the update to which I referred."