Citizens of Arceuus
Citizens of Arceuus are a group of former humans who live in Arceuus in the kingdom of Great Kourend. The term Citizens of Arceuus generally denotes those who gave up their human bodies and gained immortality through the use of the Dark Altar during the Ascent of Arceuus.
Being generally spiritual in appearance, Citizens of Arceuus float above the ground and cover themselves in long robes, hats, and masks, making only their glowing eyes visible. Beneath their robes, they supposedly look like grey semi-transparent humanoid skeletons without legs.
History[edit | edit source]
The first to achieve immortality through the Dark Altar was supposedly King Shayzien VII, who managed to obtain the secret from the Tasakaal, an ancient trio of TzHaar who reside in Mount Karuulm. King Shayzien used the secret to shed his mortal form and took the name Xeric, ruling Great Kourend with an iron fist for over a century. It is likely that Xeric shared this secret with some of his followers, such as Xamphur and Vasa Nistirio.
The vast majority of the Citizens of Arceuus would later become immortal in a similar way Xeric did during the reign of King Byrne II 900 years ago, when Lord Trobin Arceuus and his brother-in-law travelled to Mount Karuulm to seek the Tasakaal. Trobin's wife had become very ill, and he pleaded to them to help his dying wife. The Tasakaal then granted them the knowledge of immortality, saving his wife.
Trobin would use the very same knowledge that saved his wife to grant the Citizens of Arceuus immortality in an event known as The Ascent of Arceuus. While not all of them accepted this gift, those that did were granted new bodies to house their souls, which are sustained by the Dark Altar. According to Mofina, the crypt below the church in Arceuus was where Citizens of Arceuus gained immortality, by freeing their souls from their physical bodies.
Following the Ascent of Arceuus, the Citizens of Arceuus slowly became accustomed to their new lives. With the Dark Altar's power sustaining their form, they no longer have need for food, water, or sleep, and as a result the population of Arceuus remained static for nearly a thousand years.
However, during the 149th decade (or Year 169 of the Fifth Age), a mysterious device was concealed near the Dark Altar by an unknown entity. This device redirected most of the Dark Altar's power, destabilising the immortal forms of the Citizens of Arceuus. Lord Trobin Arceuus acted quickly by using himself as a conduit to channel the little remaining power the Dark Altar possessed, but this temporary loss in power caused one Citizen of Arceuus, Thana, to perish.
With the help of an adventurer, who discovered the device redirecting the Dark Altar's power, the crisis ended and the people of Arceuus were saved.
Notable Citizens of Arceuus[edit | edit source]
- Ignisia - Grand Master of the Order of the Sacred Flame.
- Logosia - Chief librarian of the Arceuus Library.
- Lord Trobin Arceuus - Head of Arceuus for nine centuries and responsible for the Ascent of Arceuus.
- Tyss - Guardian of the Dark Altar.
- Vasa Nistirio - High Priest serving Xeric until he in arrogance tried to subjugate him, only leading to his own enslavement.
- Xeric - Former king and tyrant of Great Kourend and supposedly the first to ascend to immortality via the Dark Altar.
References[edit | edit source]
- Asteros Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "Ever since the Ascent of Arceuus, our people have been kept alive by the Dark Altar. Its power sustains our bodies in the same way yours is sustained by food and drink."
- Mofina, Old School RuneScape. "Now if you excuse me, this conversation is... tiring. Being away from the Dark Altar has taken a greater toll on me than I expected."
- Lord Trobin Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "It was a thousand years ago, during the time of King Byrne II. I went to my people and shared the secrets of immortality with them."
- Tasakaal, Old School RuneScape. "They came to us. Two of them. The brother and the husband. Her time was running out. They wanted to give her more."
- Lord Trobin Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "Not all of [Arceuus] accepted this gift of course, as was their right. Those that did, were granted new bodies to house their souls. These bodies are sustained by the Dark Altar."
- Mofina, Old School RuneScape. "In the crypt below us, we freed our souls from the flesh-temples that had imprisoned them, and we took the form you see now."
- Tasakaal, Old School RuneScape. "The Altar is fine, but its power has been redirected. To a construct built by a mortal. Right next to the Altar."
- Asteros Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "My father was quick to act, using himself as a conduit to channel what little power the Altar had left."
- Asteros Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "Without the power of the Dark Altar, there's nothing to keep our people alive. The loss in power from the Altar will be what killed Thana."