- This article is about clay as it is mined. For the form of clay used mainly in Crafting, see Soft clay. For the rock that clay comes from, see Clay rock.
Clay (sometimes called hard clay to distinguish it from soft clay) is a material that players can obtain with level 1 Mining, granting 5 Mining experience. When mined, it respawns almost instantly.
If a player uses water on clay, soft clay is created. This is used to make pottery in Crafting, furniture in Construction, and Magic tablets.
If a bracelet of clay is worn while mining, soft clay is mined instead. Clue geodes are still obtainable when using a bracelet of clay.
Players can mine clay rocks at the following locations:
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
- Clay is the fastest respawning rock as it respawns in just one game tick.
- Since clay is rarely fought over, beginners will find it an easy way to get a small start on Mining. However, it is very inefficient for training and anyone who wishes to train Mining should move on to copper, tin, or iron.
- The closest mining spot to bank for clay in F2P is at West Varrock Mine.
- Training Mining with clay from level 1 to 99 would require a total of 2,606,887 pieces of clay be mined, which would turn a profit of 388,426,163 if sold at the current price of 149 coins each. It takes about 1 minute to mine 28 clay using a Rune pickaxe and about 1 minute to bank and return, so this means about 840 clay per hour for a total of 3,104 hours of work.