Clue bottles are bottles that can be found while training Fishing. Opening them will destroy the bottle and leave players with a clue scroll of the same difficulty as the bottle given. Players will not receive a clue bottle if they possess a clue scroll of the same difficulty tier. Like clue scrolls, players can only have one of each type of clue bottle in their possession.
There are five types of clue bottles:
- Clue bottle (beginner)
- Clue bottle (easy)
- Clue bottle (medium)
- Clue bottle (hard)
- Clue bottle (elite)
Rates[edit | edit source]
Like skilling pets, the rate of obtaining clue bottles are dependent on the player's fishing level and the type of fish the player is catching. A ring of wealth (i) will double the rate of clue bottles for fishing spots in the Wilderness.
The chance of obtaining a clue bottle of any difficulty is , where is the player's fishing level and is the base chance of the fish. Equivalently, this chance is 1 in . For example, a player catching anglerfish at level 99 fishing will have a 1 in 395 chance of obtaining a clue bottle, with decimal values floored.
|Fish||Base chance||Rate range (approx)||Fish||Base chance||Rate range (approx)|
|Leaping fish(trout, salmon, sturgeon)||1,280,862||1/8654 - 1/6436||Mackerel, cod, bass||1,147,827||1/9895 - 1/5768|
|Sardine, herring||1,056,000||1/10057 - 1/5307||Minnow||977,778||1/5372 - 1/4913|
|Trout, salmon||923,616||1/7697 - 1/4641||Shrimps, anchovies||870,330||1/8617 - 1/4374|
|Aerial fishing||636,833||1/4453 - 1/3200||Karambwanji||443,697||1/4226 - 1/2230|
|Pike||305,792||1/2446 - 1/1537||Tuna, swordfish||257,770||1/1909 - 1/1295|
|Karambwan||170,874||1/1036 - 1/859||Infernal eel||165,000||1/917 - 1/829|
|Dark crab||149,434||1/808 - 1/751||Monkfish||138,583||1/855 - 1/696|
|Rainbow fish||137,739||1/998 - 1/692||Lobster||116,129||1/829 - 1/584|
|Sacred eel||99,000||1/529 - 1/497||Shark||82,243||1/467 - 1/413|
|Anglerfish||78,649||1/432 - 1/395|
Once a player successfully rolls for a clue bottle, a separate table is rolled to determine the type of bottle received. A player can increase the rate of a specific clue to be dropped; having a clue scroll of a higher tier will increase the chance of receiving a lower tier clue bottle.
For example, if a player already possesses an elite clue and a hard clue, and rolls an elite clue bottle, they will receive a medium clue bottle instead. This process will only give substitute clue bottles of a tier lower than the one originally rolled for.
In case of the dark crabs in the Wilderness, the ring of wealth (i) will work in the same way it works during combat, doubling your odds of receiving a clue from skilling activities in the Wilderness.
The table below displays the chances of obtaining a specific clue bottle. If a player fails to roll for any clue bottle apart from beginner, there is then a final 1/1,000 chance to roll for a beginner clue bottle.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 9 August 2020. (Archived from the original on 6 October 2020.) Mod Ash: "It does."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 24 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2019.) Mod Tide: "I know its been a while since the clue expansion but here is the information on clue scroll drop rates and loot chances! If anything changes I will keep you posted."
- Clue scrolls 2019.*
- From minimum level to catch the fish to 99
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "If you'd got an elite nest, hard nest and medium nest in your bank, and you successfully rolled for another elite one, it'd turn itself into the next tier that you'd not already got, i.e. it'd drop as an easy nest. That's kinda forcing it to be a certain type."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 3 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 4 February 2020.) Mod Tide: "...if you fail to get any clue [vessel] apart from beginner, you then have a 1 in 1000 roll to get a beginner [clue vessel]."