Clue nests are nests that can be found while training Woodcutting or emptying bird houses on Fossil Island. Searching them will give players a clue scroll of the indicated difficulty, leaving an empty bird nest (excluding beginner clue nests). Like clue scrolls, players can only have one of each type of clue nest in their possession.
There are five types of clue nests:
Rates[edit | edit source]
Like skilling pets, the rate of obtaining clue nests are dependent on the player's woodcutting level and the type of tree the player is chopping. A ring of wealth (i) will double the rate of clue nests for chopping trees in the Wilderness. 
The chance of obtaining a clue nest of any difficulty is 1 in , where is the base chance and is the player's woodcutting level. For example, a player cutting redwood trees at level 99 woodcutting will have a 1 in 364 chance of obtaining a clue nest.
|Tree||Base chance||Rate range (approx)||Tree||Base chance||Rate range (approx)|
|Achey trees||317,647||1/3145 - 1/1596||Normal trees||317,647||1/3145 - 1/1596|
|Oak trees||361,146||1/3140 - 1/1815||Willow trees||289,286||1/2225 - 1/1454|
|Teak trees||264,336||1/1958 - 1/1328||Juniper trees||360,000||1/2667 - 1/1809|
|Maple trees||221,918||1/1530 - 1/1115||Hollow trees||214,367||1/1478 - 1/1077|
|Mahogany trees||220,623||1/1471 - 1/1109||Arctic pines||145,758||1/946 - 1/732|
|Yew trees||145,013||1/906 - 1/729||Sulliusceps||343,000||1/2079 - 1/1724|
|Magic trees||72,321||1/413 - 1/363||Redwood trees||72,321||1/381 - 1/363|
Once a player successfully rolls for a clue nest, a separate table is rolled to determine the type of nest received. A player can increase the rate of a specific clue to be dropped; having a clue scroll of a higher tier will increase the chance of receiving a lower tier clue nest.
For example, if a player already possesses an elite clue and a hard clue, and rolls an elite clue nest, they will receive a medium clue nest instead. This process will only give substitute clue nests of a tier lower than the one originally rolled for.
The table below displays the chances of obtaining a specific clue nest. If a player fails to roll for any clue nest apart from beginner, there is then a final 1/1,000 chance to roll for a beginner clue nest.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 July 2016. (Archived from the original on 6 October 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 24 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2019.) Mod Tide: "I know its been a while since the clue expansion but here is the information on clue scroll drop rates and loot chances! If anything changes I will keep you posted."
- Clue scrolls 2019.*
- From minimum level to cut the tree to 99
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "If you'd got an elite nest, hard nest and medium nest in your bank, and you successfully rolled for another elite one, it'd turn itself into the next tier that you'd not already got, i.e. it'd drop as an easy nest. That's kinda forcing it to be a certain type."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 3 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 4 February 2020.) Mod Tide: "...if you fail to get any clue [vessel] apart from beginner, you then have a 1 in 1000 roll to get a beginner [clue vessel]."