|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||Hmm a non-renewable energy source!|
|High alch||27 coins|
|Low alch||18 coins|
|Exchange||146 coins (info)|
Coal is one of the most important mined materials in RuneScape, as it is required to smelt all smithable metals above iron (other than gold or silver), in increasing amounts. It is a necessary ingredient to make elemental, steel, mithril, adamant, and rune bars.
Bars[edit | edit source]
Along with a sufficient Smithing level, the primary ingredient to make bars is the metallic ore itself and the secondary ingredient is a number of coal. Half the amount of coal is required if using the Blast Furnace.
- Steel bar: 2 coal
- Mithril bar: 4 coal
- Elemental metal: 4 coal
- Adamantite bar: 6 coal
- Runite bar: 8 coal
Obtaining coal[edit | edit source]
As with most natural resources, mining coal is the most efficient way to acquire it.
Below is a list of popular locations; for a complete list, see coal rock page.
Free areas[edit | edit source]
- Mining Guild (Falador), requiring a Mining level of 60 to enter.
- Dwarven Mine (Falador), though is patrolled by King Scorpions.
- Al Kharid mine (north of Al Kharid), though is patrolled by scorpions.
- Barbarian Village mine.
- Wilderness Coal Mine, north-west of Edgeville in level 12 Wilderness, though it is patrolled by Skeletons (level 22).
- Bandit Camp mine in level 35 Wilderness, though it is patrolled by Hobgoblins.
- West Lumbridge Swamp mine.
Member areas[edit | edit source]
- Keldagrim mine, though is somewhat far from a bank (use Blast Furnace).
- Kandarin Monastery, using teleports to bank.
- Legends' Guild mine, banking in East Ardougne, though is patrolled by grizzly bears (level 21) .
- Grand Tree mine, banking in Grand Tree, though requires completion of The Grand Tree quest.
- Kandarin mine, using Coal Trucks to store up to 120 coal and then retrieve it from the trucks by Seers' Village (this allows players four-and-a-quarter full loads of coal in one trip, or five-and-a-quarter full loads if you carry one with you).
- Motherlode Mine, from the pay-dirt. The coal bag purchased there for 100 golden nuggets can also hold up to 27 coal.
- North of the Museum Camp, highly recommended the bank being built.
- The Lovakite mine in Lovakengj, with 30% favour in the house. Has a bank in the mine itself.
Members can also get coal by having the subjects of Miscellania gather it upon completion of Throne of Miscellania. In order to gain coal, players must put a number of coins in the coffers and set the subjects so that they will be mining. They will automatically mine coal and a few gems.
Additionally, coal can be purchased from Ordan's Ore Seller shop, which is located downstairs in the Blast Furnace factory in the eastern side of Keldagrim. It can also be bought at the Ore Store ran by Hring Hring in Jatizso. It sells the ores at a lower price than at blast furnace, but it has a much lower quantity in stock. The stock quantity does restore quickly, however.
Drop sources[edit | edit source]
|Abyssal Sire||350||380–420 (noted)||6/139|
|Bandit (Bandit Camp)||57; 74||1||Common|
|Barrel (Viyeldi caves)||N/A||1–4 (noted)||Rare|
|Black Guard||25; 48||1||Uncommon|
|Brimstone chest||N/A||300–500 (noted)||1/12|
|Catablepon||49; 64; 68||3–7 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Chambers of Xeric||N/A||1–6,553 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Chest (Rogues' Castle)||84||13||Uncommon|
|Crystal chest||N/A||100 (noted)||9/116|
|Dagannoth Rex||303||100 (noted)||2/128|
|Earth impling||36||6 (noted)||Rare|
|Earth impling||36||2 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Earth impling jar||N/A||2 (noted)||Uncommon|
|General Graardor||624||115–120 (noted)||8/127|
|Giant frog||13; 99||1||Uncommon|
|Grotesque Guardians||180–250 (noted)||6/137|
|H.A.M. Guard||12; 18; 22||1||2/110|
|H.A.M. Member||15; 20||1||Uncommon|
|Ice troll||120; 121; 123; 124||3||Rare|
|Ice troll female||82||3 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Ice troll grunt||102||3 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Ice troll male||82||3 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Ice troll runt||74||3 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Larran's big chest||N/A||450–650 (noted)||Common|
|Larran's small chest||N/A||Unknown||Common|
|Lizardman shaman||150||20–25 (noted)||Common|
|Locust rider||68; 98; 106||32 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Moss giant||42; 48; 84||1||Uncommon|
|Mountain troll||69; 71||3 (noted)||3/128|
|Nuclear smoke devil||280||15 (noted)||3/128|
|Pee Hat||91||6 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Revenant cyclops||82||50–100 (noted)||1/37.81|
|Revenant dark beast||120||50–100 (noted)||1/22.08|
|Revenant demon||98||50–100 (noted)||1/31.24|
|Revenant dragon||135||50–100 (noted)||1/17.76|
|Revenant goblin||15||50–100 (noted)||1/308.33|
|Revenant hellhound||90||50–100 (noted)||1/34.21|
|Revenant hobgoblin||60||50–100 (noted)||1/64.5|
|Revenant imp||7||50–100 (noted)||1/539.81|
|Revenant knight||126||50–100 (noted)||1/19|
|Revenant ork||105||50–100 (noted)||1/25.91|
|Revenant pyrefiend||52||50–100 (noted)||1/72.99|
|Rock (Troll)||111||6 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Rock golem (monster)||14–159||1||Uncommon|
|Scarab mage||66; 93||32 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Small Lizard||12||1 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Smoke devil||160||15 (noted)||3/128|
|Sulphur Lizard||50||5–10 (noted)||13/128|
|Supply crate||N/A||10–14 (noted)||Varies|
|Theatre of Blood||N/A||374–595||Uncommon|
|Thermonuclear smoke devil||301||150 (noted)||2/128|
|Thrower Troll||67; 68||3 (noted)||Rare|
|Troll general||113||6 (noted)||Uncommon|
|Troll spectator (Noted)||71||3||Common|
|TzHaar-Hur-Rin's Ore and Gem Store||75; 82||1||Unknown|
|Young impling jar||N/A||1||Uncommon|
Store locations[edit | edit source]
|Hendor's Awesome Ores||Mining Guild||0||45||31|
|Drogo's Mining Emporium.||Dwarven Mines||0||45||31|
|TzHaar-Hur-Lek's Ore and Gem Store (Karamja gloves)||Mor Ul Rek||0||58||15|
|TzHaar-Hur-Rin's Ore and Gem Store (Karamja gloves)||Mor Ul Rek||20||58||15|
|TzHaar-Hur-Lek's Ore and Gem Store||Mor Ul Rek||0||67||6|
|Ore seller.||Blast Furnace in Keldagrim||100||67||18|
|TzHaar-Hur-Rin's Ore and Gem Store||Mor Ul Rek||20||67||6|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the game, mining coal gives a higher chance of receiving gems than other mining spots. In real life, it is the same as coal beds can usually supply the needed pressure and carbon for gems to form.
- Coal is not an ore; ore requires extraction to obtain the element, whereas coal is found in its usable form.
- It's possible for two players to receive coal if they are mining it at the same time.
See also[edit | edit source]
|Mining rocks and sources|