Combat only pure
|Also called||Reverse Skiller, Combat Only, Slayer Only, 807|
|Example combat stats|
A combat only pure, or reverse skiller, is a type of pure that only develops combat skills and the Slayer skill. Combat pures keep their skilling stats at level 1, leaving them with a max total level of 807. This makes it more challenging to acquire gear or progress the account as some regions of Gielinor are not accessible, and some content or gear requires quests with skilling involved.
A combat only account type can be played on any game mode but it is most recommended as a Hardcore Ironman, Regular Ironman, or Ultimate Ironman. Each mode will bring their own unique flavour to how a combat only pure progresses their account. As a reminder to those who choose Ultimate Ironman, it is possible to "downgrade" an Ultimate Ironman to a normal Ironman or main account by talking to the Iron Man tutor in Lumbridge.
This page has a quick introduction to the combat only build, as well as some guidance on getting started on a new combat only account. The guide is broken down to three stages of the game (Early-game, Mid-game, and End-game), each with their own article providing more details. The links are below each respective section of this page. It is highly recommended to read the early- and mid-game sections before starting the account to get a good idea of what progression will look like and pick some goals to set for yourself.
Restrictions[edit | edit source]
Before getting started as a combat only pure, it is important to understand some of the unique restrictions that come with the build. Alongside the restrictions given to every Ironman, Ultimate Ironmen, or Hardcore Ironman, combat only pures avoid the following:
- Cannot level any skilling stat to 2 or more.
- Cannot complete quests that reward the player with skilling XP outside of combat, or Slayer.
- Cannot access Tirannwn, Piscatoris Fishing Colony, Miscellania, Fremennik Isles, Trollweiss Mountain, Weiss, Darkmeyer, Burgh de Rott, Sophanem, Kharazi Jungle, Ape Atoll, Crandor, and many other small quest specific areas.
- Cannot unlock Chivalry, or Piety prayers.
- Cannot build inside of their house. You can still buy a house in Rimmington to teleport to and place a Wintumber Tree.
- Potion and food supplies are limited.
- No slayer cape because Duradel is skill locked
- (Currently) No access to God Wars Dungeon
Other than these areas, most content like Barrows, Chambers of Xeric, Theatre of Blood, Inferno, Wilderness, Slayer bosses, and some quests are available to complete. For more information on everything available, see the equipment progression table and account guides below.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Below are some of the most important combat only tips that will help you progress easier and avoid ruining the account build.
- Always carry a clean cadantine to exchange for a super restore potion during the Jekyll random event. You can clean grimy herbs in Nardah for 200 gp by talking to Zahur. Stockpile these for your first fire cape run.
- Never start Dragon Slayer I. (It unlocks dragon tasks by just starting it. You can, however, still enter the Champions' Guild.)
- Never do Death Plateau. (Will unlock tasks like Spiritual Creatures, Stronghold Trolls from Konar, and God Wars Dungeon bloodvelds from Konar.)
- Remember to pick up and keep multiple extra magic whistles and holy table napkins during the Holy Grail quest. Ultimate Ironmen should stop after "I should follow him the the Castle to get the Holy Grail" text in the quest log. (Requirement to return to the Fisher Realm for a hard clue step.)
- Never do the Bob ScapeRune random events. The fishing one rewards the player with either Fishing or Magic XP potentially ruining the combat only build.
- Always double check quest rewards before starting or completing a quest.
- Use every XP lamp on Prayer.
- If doing pre-75 combat Slayer, don't complete Ernest the Chicken or Priest in Peril to avoid bad tasks.
- Be careful with Chambers of Xeric thieving chests. They give a minimum of 40 XP if misclicked. (Toggle your run energy on/off to cancel thieving the chest.)
- Be careful with the Nature Grotto medium/hard clue step bridge jump. It has a chance to give 15 XP on success or 2 XP on fail (25-30% chance of success).
Quests[edit | edit source]
The following quests can be completed by combat only pures as they do not reward the player with any experience points in skills that would level the stat to 2.
Finishing all of these quests would require the skill levels in the box to the right and leave you with 58 quest points. Most combat only pures skip some quests due to undesirable Slayer task unlocks after completion (such as spiritual creatures from Death Plateau or dragon tasks from starting Dragon Slayer I).
|Total level: 155|
|As of 30-12-2021|
- Below Ice Mountain
- Black Knights' Fortress
- The Corsair Curse
- Demon Slayer
- Ernest the Chicken [Recommended to skip to avoid Killerwatt tasks.]
- Imp Catcher
- Pirate's Treasure
- Prince Ali Rescue
- The Restless Ghost
- Romeo & Juliet
- Rune Mysteries
- Shield of Arrav
- Vampire Slayer
- Witch's Potion (Get cooked meat from Barbarian Village then burn it on a stove or fire. You can also get burnt meat from imps.)
- X Marks the Spot
- Client of Kourend
- Clock Tower
- Death Plateau [Recommended to skip to avoid tasks like spiritual creatures, Stronghold Trolls from Konar, and God Wars Dungeon bloodvelds from Konar.]
- Holy Grail [Ultimate Ironmen should stop after "I should follow him the the Castle to get the Holy Grail" text in the quest log. Regular Ironmen should keep extra magic whistles and holy table napkins or you can never return to Fisher Realm for hard clue steps.]
- Merlin's Crystal
- A Porcine of Interest
- Priest in Peril [Consider holding off on this quest if doing pre-75 combat Slayer to avoid tasks like morton shades.]
- Scorpion Catcher
- Sheep Herder
- A Soul's Bane
- Tree Gnome Village
- Waterfall Quest
- Witch's House
Partial Completions (for clue steps, etc.)
- Dragon Slayer I [Recommended to avoid starting this quest to avoid being assigned dragon tasks. You can still enter the Champions' Guild, just don't talk to the Guildmaster.]
- Creature of Fenkenstrain [Stop after gaining access to the Experiment Cave. Medium clue step unlocked.]
- Elemental Workshop I [Stop after gaining access to the workshop. Hard clue step unlocked.]
- The Giant Dwarf [Stop after the intro cutscene. Unlocks access to Keldagrim and Blast Furance minigame teleport.]
- The Grand Tree [Stop after you have unlocked the crashed glider to the eastern island of Karamja. If you progress further you can't use the glider again! Unlocks multiple hard clue steps and the Shipyard.]
- Nature Spirit [Unlocks access to mort myre swamp. You can do the clue step on nature grotto at the cost of gaining Agility XP.]
- Plague City [Stop after pulling the grill off with Edmond. Unlocks access to West Ardougne.]
- Sea Slug [Stop after gaining access to the fishing platform. Unlocks medium clue step.]
- The Tourist Trap [Stop after gaining access to the desert mining camp. Unlocks medium clue step].
- Horror From The Deep [Start the quest to fix the bridge. This reduces the chance of gaining Agility XP during clue steps and doesn't provide Construction XP. Requires 60 steel nails, a hammer, and 2 regular planks.]
- The Fremennik Trials [Stop after talking to Brundt the Chieftain. Falo the Bard won't talk to you until you start the quest. This is needed for master clue steps.]
- Architectural Alliance
Equipment Progression[edit | edit source]
There are many more items available than what's shown in the tables below but this should give a rough idea of how combat only pures will progress. Each table is setup with recommended gear upgrades to suit each combat style. Please note that the stats of some items might be better or worse than the item before it. The table is setup in a typical combat only pure progression order, not necessarily by best stats.
- Only use with the full set of Void knight armour
- Only use with the full set of Void knight armour
|Slot||Item (End Game → Mid Game → Early Game)|
|Volatile nightmare staff / Eldritch nightmare staff||Dragon claws / Dragon warhammer||Granite maul / Granite maul (or)||Dragon spear / Dragon 2h sword||Magic shortbow (i) / Magic shortbow / Magic longbow||Rune thrownaxe / Dragon thrownaxe / Dragon knife||Abyssal whip / Abyssal tentacle / Abyssal dagger||Granite hammer / Excalibur|
|Onyx bolts (e)||Dragonstone bolts (e)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- Only use with the full set of Void knight armour
Early-game [edit | edit source]
Early game content on a combat only pure is built around preparing the account for an extended Slayer grind and some early bossing. It's recommended to read through the whole early and mid-game sections to understand what account progression will look like through these stages. If you are playing on a Hardcore Ironman or Ultimate Ironman your progression may look slightly different.
Early-game should be focused on training magic to 55+, getting 43 prayer, obtaining 50 quest points for a slayer block, getting a rune scimitar from Zamorak Warriors, cash for runes, a Dragon Defender, and an Amulet of Power or Amulet of Strength, along with some useful transportation methods.
Mid-game [edit | edit source]
Mid-game content is built around unlocking your final gear required for efficient Slayer on a combat only pure. There's a lot of different options and routes you can take at this stage but it is recommended to acquire all the following gear at some point unless you're an Ultimate Ironman.
If you followed the early-game portion closely you should have a Magic level of 55 or more, a Prayer level of 43 or more, access to the Warriors' Guild with a rune or dragon defender, a rune scimitar and Excalibur, and access to many transportation options. If you did any clues or crazy archaeologist you might have a strength, power, and magic amulet. If you didn't get lucky with clues you will get those during this stage.
This stage of the game is heavily gear focused so the main goals should be getting 55/70/85 slayer for weapon upgrades, doing minigames like barbarian assault or pest control for armour, fire cape, imbued god cape, and hard clue loot with some mid-tier bossing.
End-game [edit | edit source]
End-game content on a combat only pure consists of reaching max total level combat pure, unlocking your final slayer bosses like kraken, thermonuclear smoke devil, and Alchemical Hydra for the gear they drop. There are a lot of completionist goals that will come into play at this stage of the account including the Champion's cape, infernal cape, Nightmare of Ashihama, more clues, and Raiding.
This section lists many more things like every available pet, raiding tips, bossing tips, and unique grinds that are available to combat only pures.
Clue Scrolls [edit | edit source]
Clue scrolls play a huge part in the combat only pure account type. This includes getting unique upgrades such as the amulet of glory (t) from hard clue scrolls, or the dragonstone bracelet from elite clue scrolls. (It can be enchanted to make the best-in-slot combat bracelet.) Though clue scrolls also provide essential upgrades as you train your combat pure account, such as black dragonhide armour, the magic shortbow, and more. In summary, do as many clue scrolls as possible.
78% chance to get a completable step. 1-3 step casket chance.
96% chance to get a completable step. 2-4 step casket chance.
87% chance to get a completable step. 3-5 step casket chance.
68% chance to get a completable step. 4-6 step casket chance.
41% chance to get a completable step. 5-7 step casket chance.
57% chance to get a completable step. 6-8 step casket chance.
Doing master clues can be very tedious on a combat only build. When it comes to the Hot/Cold steps combat only pures will not have access to a Strange Device. This means combat only pures have to manually check every 100+ Hot/Cold steps until they hit the correct one. This means the completion rate for hot cold steps will be high, but very time consuming.
Useful Items and Tips[edit | edit source]
Money Making[edit | edit source]
See the early-game guide article above for more specific early-game money making methods. Once you hit 70 Slayer you really won't worry about money again unless if you blow all your cash on rune arrows and death runes.
- Wilderness Steel Platelegs
- Wilderness Steel Platebody
- Ogress Warriors
- Zamorak Warriors
- Pest control (gp 10x your combat level per game)
- Soul Wars Spoils of War (500 total level req)
- Last Man Standing Rune Arrows (750 total level and 30qp requirement. Alch or sell to a shop for raw gp)
- Mutated Bloodvelds at 50 Slayer
- Kurasks at 70 Slayer
- Skeletal Wyverns at 72 Slayer
- Gargoyles at 75 Slayer
Food Sources[edit | edit source]
The best source of reliable food are the potato with cheese from Warriors' Guild food shop. Pairing these with karambwans from Alfonse the waiter in Brimhaven can be beneficial for bossing. Ultimate Ironmen should rush 99 Strength so they can teleport directly to the Warriors' Guild to resupply. Utilize the Burthope Games Room minigame teleport to get there quickly before 99 Strength.
- Potato with cheese (Warrior Guild Food Shop)
- Karambwans (The Shrimp and Parrot in Brimhaven)
- Jug of Wine (Wine Shop in Draynor Village)
- Field rations (Jennifer's General Field Supplies, Void Knight General Store)
- Basket of Strawberries (Lacerta Falls strawberry spawn)
- Premade choc bomb (gianne's resturant)
- Kebab (Al-kharid. Slow to buy but cheap)
- Blighted Anglerfish / Blighted Manta Rays (Wilderness Slayer, Last man standing, or Soul Wars)
- Sharks / Dark crabs (Only from drop sources or clues)
Potion Sources[edit | edit source]
Potions are very hard to come by so from the very beginning you will want to stockpile everything you can. Following the tip of always carrying a clean cadantine with you for the jekyll random should provide enough super restores for a fire cape attempt. Once you hit 72 Slayer you can grind prayer potions from Skeletal Wyverns. Once you are doing Theatre of Blood and Kraken you should be stockpiling extra super restores or sanfew serums.
Note that an Ultimate Ironman combat only pure can use the decanter Bob at the Grand Exchange, reduce potions to 1 dose, and save potions until they are needed.
- Prayer Potion (Theatre of Blood, Crazy Archaeologist, Skeletal Wyverns, Mammoths)
- Sanfew Serum (Kraken, Thermonuclear smoke devil, Nightmare / Phosani)
- Antidote ++ (Kraken)
- Super Anti Poison (Observatory Dungeon entrance)
- Attack Potion (Warrior guild potion shop)
- Strength Potion (Warrior guild potion shop, Apothecary)
- Defence Potion (Warrior guild potion shop)
- Super Attack (Chaos Elemental, Dagannoth Rex)
- Super Strength (Chaos Elemental, Dagannoth Rex)
- Super Defence (Chaos druid warrior, Chaos Elemental, Dagannoth Rex)
- Saradomin Brew (Theatre of Blood, Nightmare / Phosani, Kalphite Queen, Grotesque Guardians)
- Stamina (Jekyll Random event, Theatre of Blood)
- Weapon Poison (Ankou)
- Weapon Poison ++ (Scorpia, Kalphite Queen, Sarachnis, Chaos Elemental)
- Ranging Potion (Grotesque Guardians, Kalphite Queen, Alchemical Hydra)
- Antifire Potion (Dagannoth Rex)
- Super Restore (Jekyll Random event, Theatre of Blood, Alchemical Hydra, Cerberus, Spiritual Mage, Wilderness bosses)
- Energy Potion (Apothecary. not really worth grinding out.)
- Antipoison (Apothecary, Jiminua's Jungle Store)
- Lizardkicker (The cloak and stagger)
- Wizard Mind Bomb (The toad and chicken, Burthope Games room bar, rising sun Inn)
- Blighted Super Restore (Wilderness Slayer, Last Man Standing or Soul Wars)
Useful Items[edit | edit source]
This is a list of obscure items that may be beneficial to use throughout the combat only pure grind.
- Dark relic (Great for Prayer XP.)
- Ancient tablet (Needed for Xeric's Honor teleport on the Xeric's Talisman.)
- Ring of Wealth (i) (Useful for wilderness clue grinds. Obtain from Kraken boss.)
- Ring of Wealth (One of two level 30 wilderness teleports available to combat only pures. Obtain a dragonstone ring from Kraken, enchant it, then recharge it at the Fountain of Rune.)
- Slayer Ring (One of two level 30 wilderness teleports available to combat only pures. Cannot get eternal slayer ring without crafting.)
- Fishing Explosive (Used to wake up the kraken boss.)
- Soul Bearer (Useful for storing blood and soul runes.)
- Ectoplasmator (Extra Prayer XP.)
- Master Scroll Book
- Bolt Pouch
- Rune Pouch
- Magic Shortbow Scroll (Wilderness Slayer, Last Man Standing 750 total level and 30qp requirement.)
- Teleport to Target Spell (Last Man Standing 750 total level and 30qp requirement. Needed for some clue steps and useful for Earth Warrior Scroll.)
- Magic Longbow (Useful for some long-range safe-spots like Lizardman Shamans.)
- Swiftblade (Niche use in raids.)
- Ham joint (Niche use in raids and phosani.)
- Event rpg (Niche use in raids and phosani.)
- Dragon Pickaxe (For Chambers of Xeric Guardian room.)
- Auto-Vial Smasher
- Strength Cape (Best teleport to Warriors' Guild.)
- Ranging Cape (Acts as an avas accumulator to save arrows.)
- HAM Outfit (Potentially will grant you a bit of Thieving XP but is needed for clues. Get a lockpick from Chambers of Xeric scavengers before attempting to unlock.)
- Looting bag
- Games Necklace (2) (Boring to grind but only viable teleport to corporeal beast.)
- Magic Whistle (Keep for hard clues.)
- Holy Table Napkin (Keep to reobtain magic whistles in case you lose them.)
- Edgeville Respawn (5m gp but great for Ultimate Ironmen.)
- Ferox Enclave Respawn (5m gp but is similar to a mid-game house if on Arceuus spellbook.)
- Black dragon mask (Needed for a master clue step.)
- Toktz-xil-ul (Needed for a master clue step.)
- Dragon spear (Needed for an elite clue step.)
- Blue d'hide vambraces (Needed for a hard clue step. Difficult to grind from Brutal Blue Dragons.)
- Bob shirt (Needed for elite clue step.)
- Headband (Needed for hard clue step.)
- Crozier (Needed for hard clue step.)
- Mole Claw / Mole Skin (Trade for bird nests to get a ruby ring and diamond ring for clue steps.)
- Ring of Life / Diamond ring (Needed for multiple hard clue steps. Get from Dagannoth Rex / Bird Nests.)
- Trading Sticks (Used for an elite and hard clue step. 5000 sticks needed to enter backside of Brimhaven Dungeon. Kill Jogres or Tribesmen.)
- Wintumber Tree (The only thing combat only pures can build in their player owned house.)