|Released||11 July 2005 (Update)|
|Examine||Good for plants, helps them grow.|
|High alch||12 coins|
|Low alch||8 coins|
|Exchange||26 coins (info)|
Compost is an item used in the Farming skill to reduce the chance of a farming patch becoming diseased per growth stage by 50 %. When used on a farming patch, each bucket grants 18 Farming experience.
It also increases the minimum yield and maximum number of harvests received from allotments, hops and herbs. The minimum number of herbs per harvest increases to 4. This also applies to giant seaweed patches underwater and celastrus bark from a fully grown celastrus seed.
Compost can be upgraded into supercompost by using one dose of compost potion on either a bucket of regular compost, or a compost bin filled with regular compost. It can then be upgraded further into ultracompost by using 25 volcanic ash on the bin of supercompost.
Uses[edit | edit source]
Farming info[edit | edit source]
|Farming XP||18 xp|
|Farming patch||Any un-composted farming patch|
Creation[edit | edit source]
Compost can be made at farming patches by putting 15 items (including weeds, sweetcorn, and other farming produce) into a compost bin. It takes 60 minutes after a compost bin is closed for the vegetation to become 15 buckets worth of compost. Filling a bucket with compost gives 4.5 Farming experience, and collecting all of the compost from a full compost bin yields 67.5 Farming experience.
*Ironmen wishing to create their own compost rather than buy it can use the cabbages south of the Falador allotment, or the potatoes west of the Ardougne Allotment on their respective compost bins as a free source of compost generation.
Compost bin[edit | edit source]
|Members||Ticks||60 (36s) [r 1]|
- Filling 1 bucket takes 4 ticks, 60 ticks for 15.
Big compost bin[edit | edit source]
|60% Hosidius favour required to enter the Farming Guild|
|Members||Ticks||120 (72s) [r 1]|
|Tools||None||Facilities||Big Compost Bin|
- Filling 1 bucket takes 4 ticks, 120 ticks for 30.
Suitable items[edit | edit source]
|Item||Cost to Fill||Big Compost Bin|
|Cabbage (Draynor Manor)||Not sold|
|Grimy ardrigal||Not sold|
|Grimy snake weed||Not sold|
|Snake weed||Not sold|
|Grimy volencia moss||Not sold|
|Volencia moss||Not sold|
|Grimy rogue's purse||Not sold|
|Rogue's purse||Not sold|
|Grimy sito foil||Not sold|
|Sito foil||Not sold|
|Grimy guam leaf||885||1,770|
|Grimy ranarr weed||131,985||263,970|
|Grimy irit leaf||10,530||21,060|
|Kelda hops||Not sold|
|Rotten apple||Not sold|
Products[edit | edit source]
|Part mud pie (compost)|
(Compost potion (direct))
Item sources[edit | edit source]
|Earth impling jar||N/A||6 (noted)||1/10|
|Earth impling||36; 46||6 (noted)||1/10|
|Gang boss||76; 83||45–80 (noted)||25/256|
|Gangster||45; 50||45–80 (noted)||25/256|
Shop locations[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|10 September 2020
The Grand Exchange buy limit was changed from 600 to 2,000.
|28 April 2016
(update | poll)
It is now possible to add compost or supercompost to any farming patch during any growth stage of a crop.
|22 March 2006
The item was graphically updated.
Gallery (historical)[edit | edit source]
|11 July 2005 –
22 March 2006
|22 March 2006 –|
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 7 September 2017. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Kieren: "So with the release of Ultracompost I figured I'd explain how compost affects crops dying. Sorry it is very word heavy! Fire any questions:)"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 24 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[Flower/berry/cactus patches] don't depend on the compost state. Allotments, hops and herbs do."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 22 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 21 September 2021.) Mod Ash: "4 for standard compost, 5 for super compost, 6 for the ultra one."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 72 July 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[Does compost increase giant seaweed yield?] Yeah."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 24 January 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, celastrus would be helped by composting."