Bellock, the crazy archaeologist is an insane individual and demi-boss who resides in the ruins south of The Forgotten Cemetery. He uses Ranged and Melee attacks and can perform a special attack where he throws explosive books that explode in a 3x3 area.
Bellock is one of the three Wilderness bosses that drop one of three shards of the Malediction ward and Odium ward.
Despite his high Magic Defence, he has a negligible Magic level, and thus has a weakness to Magic. This is because magic resistance is calculated primarily based on one's Magic level.
Killing Bellock is a popular way for Ironmen to obtain a Rune crossbow without having to train Fletching.
A player fights Bellock, the crazy archaeologist.
It is recommended to use Magic armour with the Trident of the seas while praying range and avoiding his special attack of explosive books as soon as he says, "Rain of knowledge!" The best way to avoid it is by keeping a considerable distance, and running towards him until you are two squares away from it (this way, you will avoid Melee damage), and repeating the same steps over and over, you will minimise the chance of receiving damage.
Another strategy is to use high Ranged Defence armour (like Torag's armour and Obsidian shield) with a Zamorakian hasta or Abyssal whip along side with the Protect from Melee prayer.
The fastest way to get there is by using the spell Dareeyak Teleport from the Ancient Magicks spellbook with 78 Magic or a Dareeyak teleport tablet. Alternatively a burning amulet can be used to teleport to bandit camp and run to the ruins.
One quote is said every time Bellock attacks the player.
- "I'm Bellock - respect me!"
- "Get off my site!"
- "No-one messes with Bellock's dig!"
- "These ruins are mine!"
- "Taste my knowledge!"
- "You belong in a museum!"
- "Rain of knowledge!" - when using special attack
- "Ow!" - upon death
Drop rates estimated based on 12,478 kills from the Old School RuneScape Wiki drop log project, unless otherwise cited.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The drop rate is 1/256 for a specific shard, or 1/128 for any shard.
|Silver ore||40 (noted)||6/128||2,520||1,800|
|Uncut sapphire||4 (noted)||5/128[d 1]||2,128||60|
|Uncut emerald||6 (noted)||5/128[d 1]||4,248||180|
|Red dragonhide||10 (noted)||5/128||24,280||870|
|Rusty sword||1||4/128||Not sold||0|
|Onyx bolt tips||12||4/128||98,040||7,200|
|Long bone||1||2/128||Not sold||3|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Uncut sapphires and emeralds drop together.
There is a 4/128 chance of rolling the rare drop table. There is also a 4/128 chance of directly rolling the gem drop table.
|Loop half of key||1||1/193.61; 1/183.87[d 1]||10,342||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/193.61; 1/183.87[d 1]||10,206||60|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/110.7; 1/56.22[d 1]||532||15|
|Rune 2h sword||1||1/1,365.33||37,933||38,400|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/221.41; 1/112.43[d 1]||708||30|
|Rune sq shield||1||1/2,048||22,597||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||1/2,048||6,300||4,500|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/442.81; 1/224.86[d 1]||1,406||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||1/4,096||59,252||60,000|
|Rune spear||1||1/4,056.39; 1/444.52[d 1][d 2]||12,016||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/8,112.77; 1/889.05[d 1][d 2]||65,793||66,000|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,180.83; 1/599.64[d 1]||707||2|
|Dragon spear||1||1/10,817.03; 1/1,185.4[d 1][d 2]||38,093||37,440|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/1,771.24; 1/899.46[d 1]||3,002||120|
|Rune javelin||5||1/3,542.49; 1/1,798.92[d 1]||855||1,200|
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. August 25 2015. Mod Ash: "NPCs' magic defence is calculated off their Magic level, not their Defence level, and his is negligible."
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Envision. "Drop Rates V2." RuneScape Forums.
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 March 2018. (Archived from the original on 5 June 2019.) Mod Ash: "For nastier bosses (e.g. Callisto) it's 1/30. For other things it scales between 1/320 and 1/80 as the NPC's HP scales from 0 to 300."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 Mar 2019.) Mod Ash: "It's calculated off the HP: 1 in (155 - (HP/2)) There's none with HP over 300, but it'd disregard values higher than that."