|Released||4 June 2020 (Update)|
|Inhabitants||Vampyres, Vyrewatch, Werewolves, Humans|
Darkmeyer is the capital city of Morytania located in the Sanguinesti region, north of Meiyerditch. It is inhabited by vampyres and ruled by Lowerniel Drakan, his sister Vanescula Drakan and brother Ranis Drakan. Darkmeyer and Meiyerditch appear to be twin cities, with Darkmeyer making up the northern half of the region and Meiyerditch the southern half. The vampyric inhabitants get most of their blood from blood tithes conducted in the rundown neighbouring ghetto Meiyerditch.
|Location on World Map|
|Mort Myre Swamp||←||Darkmeyer||→||Slepe|
History[edit | edit source]
The city was founded and ruled by Lowerniel Drakan after his successful invasion of Hallowvale. Before he completely took over Hallowvale, Queen Efaritay, who was also a renowned botanist, bred all kinds of plant life to use against the vampyres, one of which was the Blisterwood Tree found in the heart of the city. Unable to destroy the tree, the vampyres sealed it within Efaritay's old Arboretum, with the Drakans ordering that no one is to enter the building. During this time, the Archpriest of the Unicorn and his followers also began to create safeguards for the Hallowed Sepulchre to prevent the vampyres from gaining access to the secrets and treasure within.
At some point Lowerniel Drakan departed, leaving the ruling of Darkmeyer and the Sanguinesti region to his siblings, Vanescula and Ranis Drakan. In recent times, the vampyres are now facing a blood shortage crisis due to overpopulation, forcing them to seek alternative methods to obtaining blood, such as having werewolves attempt to cross the River Salve to kidnap humans, and Damien Leucurte causing the Sleeper Plague upon the citizens of Slepe to tithe more blood from them.
This crisis, along with Lowerniel's continued absence, causes Vanescula Drakan to turn against her brother. She soon crafts plot to overthrow him by proposing an alliance with The Myreque, the resistance group attempting to liberate Morytania. Providing them with the means to infiltrate Darkmeyer and access the Blisterwood Tree to make weapons to use against Lowerniel, she brings them to Castle Drakan under the pretense that she was bringing them in as prisoners. However, Lowerniel easily sees through her sister's lies, killing her servants and subduing her, alongside killing half of the remaining Myreque members.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- A crack in the wall just north of the Meiyerditch mine exit leads players to the lower tier of the city.
- After completing Sins of the Father, Drakan's medallion can teleport players to the city's upper tier.
- A shortcut (requiring 63 Agility) becomes available on the eastern wall of Darkmeyer, requiring two long ropes, that can be bought for 104,000 coins (52,000 coins each, at full stock) in the Darkmeyer General Store.
Features[edit | edit source]
The city itself is comparable to cities such as Falador in terms of size. Like many of Gielinor's cities, it is built in a mostly uniform style, with many of its buildings being built of grey stone, with gothic motifs common in their designs. It has within its walls one of Morytania's two altars, as well as a bank and furnace.
The city itself is divided into three parts:
Lower tier[edit | edit source]
The lower tier features the following:
- The Daeyalt essence mine, where players can mine Daeyalt shards.
- The Darkmeyer General Store, run by Drasdan Ranor. Long ropes are exclusively sold here.
- The Darkmeyer Lantern Shop, run by Grinka Krast.
- A furnace and anvil can be found in different buildings.
- A potter's wheel and pottery oven are found by the entrance to the middle tier of the city.
Middle tier[edit | edit source]
The middle tier is inhabited by the more respected vampyres, with Vyrewatch Sentinels patrolling throughout the middle tier.
The middle tier features the following:
- Various vyres here can be pickpocketed with level 82 Thieving.
- The Hallowed Sepulchre, the resting place for Hallowvale's loyal followers of Saradomin. Agile players can enter and plunder the wealth of the long dead.
- The Darkmeyer Meat Shop, run by Lenyig Karna. Raw mystery meat is exclusively sold here.
- The Darkmeyer Seamstress, run by Varrian Sobak. Players can buy a greater variety of vyre noble clothing here.
- The Crypt, Darkmeyer's local pub, where blood pints are exclusively sold.
- Corpse Carts can be found throughout the middle tier, where players can obtain a severed leg from.
Upper tier[edit | edit source]
The upper tier is inhabited only by the most high-ranking vampyres, with Vyrewatch Sentinels patrolling throughout the upper tier.
The upper tier features the following:
- The large gates to Castle Drakan. It cannot currently be accessed.
- A bank.
- The Arboretum, which houses the Blisterwood Tree.
- A strange vampyric statue south of the bank that when prayed at, will restore all Prayer at the cost of 1-3 Hitpoints.
- Another corpse cart.
- Houses where the leaders of the remaining Vampyre Houses live.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
An auctioneer selling slaves in the Darkmeyer Auctions.
Pre-release[edit | edit source]
It was revealed at Runefest 2019 that Darkmeyer will be accessible after completion of the quest Sins of the Father.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The city was expanded and given a name on the world map with the update of 24 May 2018, despite still remaining inaccessible.
- The first reference to the city's name is found in the book titled Modern day Morytania, obtained during In Aid of the Myreque.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Vanescula Drakan", Old School RuneScape. "Hallowvale was taken over by my kind, and Lowerniel became ruler of the newly named Morytania."
- "Vanescula Drakan", Old School RuneScape. "Queen Efaritay was a renowned botanist. She used this to her advantage many times during the war, breeding all kinds of plant life to use against us. One of these plants was the Blisterwood tree. The icyene used the sap of this tree to create poisons that were deadly to vampyres."
- "Desmodus Lasiurus", Old School RuneScape. "No one can go in the Arboretum, by order of the Drakan family themselves."
- "Archpriest of the Unicorn", Old School RuneScape. "The [Justiciar of the Unicorn] said he was going to confront these [vampyres] but that I should stay to protect the secrets within [the Hallowed Sepulchre]... I carried out my duties though. As we progressed further, we became more experienced at creating the traps. Each one was more deadly than the last. Eventually, when our work was done, I performed the last rites for each of my followers and sealed them within the coffins on the final floor."
- "Mysterious Stranger (Hallowed Sepulchre)", Old School RuneScape. "Before they were driven out by the vampyres, the Saradominists used their magic to safeguard this place. The dead here were buried with the wealth they had in life. To protect these riches, the Saradominists enchanted the statues within the Sepulchre to create various defences."
- "Vanescula Drakan", Old School RuneScape. "Every day that goes by, the number of humans in Morytania decreases. Yet while this happens, our population continues to grow. Unsurprisingly, we no longer have enough blood to go around."
- "Vanescula Drakan", Old School RuneScape. "You have been gone too long, brother. While you spend your days hidden away, lamenting about that stupid rock, our kind suffer. Out there, in your city, they're starving. There's not enough blood to go around and their great leader is unwilling to provide a solution. Something has to change, or we're doomed."
- "Lowerniel Drakan", Old School RuneScape. "Tell me, Vanescula. What is the cause of this latest betrayal? ...This veil of lies is thinner than the humans you feast upon. Now, the truth."