Death to the Dorgeshuun
|Death to the Dorgeshuun (#107)|
|Released||21 June 2006 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||John A|
Death to the Dorgeshuun is the second quest in the Dorgeshuun quest series and sees the return of Sigmund, who attempts to destroy the Dorgeshuun once again. It also sees the first appearance of Zanik, the series' main protagonist.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Mistag in Lumbridge Caves beneath the castle.|
|Description||Humans have been visiting the Dorgeshuun mines for some time now, but no Dorgeshuun has visited the surface since the signing of the Lumbridge-Dorgeshuun treaty. The Dorgeshuun Council fears that the H.A.M. group may be planning another attack, and want to send an agent to the surface to investigate. But they do not want to send someone to the surface without a guide...|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Note: there is currently a glitch right before the Sigmund fight that can cause the player to lose their pet if they have one out when trying to leave the area. Players are thus advised not to bring a pet during this quest.
Go to Lumbridge, and go to the basement in the castle below the cook. Take a light source, such as a lantern, and enter the cave to the rear of the basement. Talk to Kazgar who will show you through the caves.
Talk to Mistag who will ask you to obtain two sets of H.A.M. robes so that you may show one of their agents around the surface and the H.A.M. Hideout without detection. Get two sets of H.A.M. robes any way you can (by pickpocketing H.A.M. Members, killing H.A.M. Guards, or buying them on the Grand Exchange). A full set of H.A.M. clothes consists of:
Obtaining H.A.M. robes through pickpocketing is easier during the quest, as they have a higher chance of being received. For ironman accounts, it is recommended to obtain one additional pair of boots and two robe bottoms for easy Treasure Trails during the quest.
Once you have these, return to the Lumbridge Castle cellar, and talk to Zanik who will have appeared next to the ladder to the cellar. (Note: You cannot have a pet following you before talking to Zanik.)
Zanik follows you around rather like a pet and tends to get stuck behind walls and doors but she will return to your side like any other pet. Unlike pets, any teleports will make her return to the basement below the cook, and talking to her will make her follow you again. The following can be completed in any order but the quickest is as listed:
- Talk to the cook in the kitchen.
- Take her to Duke Horacio upstairs in the castle.
- Take Zanik outside the castle. A cutscene will occur. If you accidentally stop the conversation, logging out and logging back in will reset the conversation.
- Talk to Hans who roams around the castle.
- Take her to see Bob in his axe store.
- Talk to Father Aereck and the Prayer tutor in the church just outside the castle.
- Talk to any man or woman. Zanik must engage in conversation with the man or woman you speak to; if she doesn't, move on to another man or woman and try again.
- Talk to the Lumbridge Guide outside the castle.
- Take her to see a goblin. Approaching one should automatically initiate a conversation, but if it doesn't, try examining Zanik while near one.
- Talk to the shopkeeper in the general store.
Infiltrating the H.A.M. hideout[edit | edit source]
After speaking to all the aforementioned denizens of Lumbridge, ask her, "Have you seen enough of Lumbridge yet?" (Zanik will tell you to go back to Lumbridge if you ask this question inside the H.A.M. headquarters). Zanik will now explain about the mark on her forehead; she received it whilst doing Tears of Guthix, meaning that she is destined to do something great.
Zanik will now suggest going to the H.A.M. headquarters. Put on your set of H.A.M. robes, and go to the H.A.M. headquarters.
Talk to a regular H.A.M. Member or guard, and go through all the questions. They will tell you that the leaders are planning something big in order to get rid of the Dorgeshuun, but they won't tell any regular members.
Talk to Johanhus Ulsbrecht near the jail about the Cave Goblins.
Wander around the south part of the main H.A.M. room where Zanik will spot a trapdoor located slightly west of Johanhus and south of the stage. Pick the trapdoor, and go down. You are now in a storeroom. You will need to distract each of the guards in such a way that Zanik can shoot them from behind. Note: If you get caught by a guard, you will be jailed and Zanik will free you - if you interrupt Zanik before she lets you out, pick the lock on the door. You will have to repeat the process of killing the guards.
- The first guard will see you and tell you to go back upstairs—as regular members aren't allowed down there. He says that the other guards will not be so kind. Walk past the guard, and talk to him; Zanik will shoot him.
- Over to the west side, just where the guard was standing, squeeze through the crack in the wall to get into the south-west room. Once inside, wait for the guard patrolling the central corridor to walk past heading east, then squeeze through the northern hole in the wall. Quickly move behind the stationary guard near the door, and talk to him. Again, Zanik will shoot this guard.
- You'll see a guard patrolling the central corridor. Speak to Zanik until you can say "Now!", and when his back is turned, select that option. Zanik will snipe him.
- Move to the eastern side of the central corridor, stopping just before the guard can see you.
- Then, run east and south down the room at least 2 steps, making the north-east guard follow you. Zanik will shoot him as he passes the central corridor again. Don't tell Zanik to wait, as she will not shoot the guard.
- For the final guard, go to the end of either the left or right passages, and talk to Zanik again, tell her to wait there; then, go to the other passage, and distract the guard whilst Zanik shoots him.
- Listen at the door. After Zanik hears a bit of info, a senior guard will respawn and arrest you.
Reviving Zanik[edit | edit source]
Go back outside, and you'll find Zanik dead. Take her body.
Note: If you for some reason die with Zanik, she will spawn again at the H.A.M hideout.
Travel to Juna in the Chasm of Tears. If you have completed the Tears of Guthix quest, use a games necklace or minigame teleport to get there, otherwise see the section below. Juna will tell you to collect 20 tears using Zanik's bowl, which will restore Zanik to life.
Note: This does NOT count for your weekly Tears of Guthix game, and it gives you no experience.
A cutscene will follow, where Zanik tells you what she heard just before she died. Johanhus, Sigmund, the H.A.M. deacon, and a senior guard will talk about using a drilling machine at the Lumbridge water wheel, to cause the swamp caves to flood!
If not completed Tears of Guthix[edit | edit source]
You will need your light source again. Go to the Dorgeshuun tunnels, and you will see another tunnel south of Kazgar. Unblock it with your pickaxe; then, go south to Juna in the Chasm of Tears. This leads to a north entrance to the Lumbridge Swamp caves, get to Juna by heading south until you find a small stream, where you must use a stepping stone to cross over. On the other side you will find giant frogs and another cave entrance. Go through it and follow the path, climb down the rocks and speak to Juna.
Warning Hardcore Ironmen!: It is recommended you enter the Lumbridge Swamp caves via the dark hole entrance in the western part of Lumbridge Swamp. This way you bypass the Cave Crawlers that if aggressive will poison you. Also bring plenty of food as the Wall Beasts deal on average 9 damage, with a max hit of 18.
Warning: If you happen to slip on the stepping stones carrying a candle lantern it will break, leaving the player stranded without a lightsource (apart from a candle itself after the lantern breaks, which is risky to use in the Swamp Caves). For safety precautions, bring any kind of quick teleportation if needed.
To complete the Tears of Guthix quest, after talking to Juna use the optional Sapphire lantern on a Light creature to be carried to the upper level of the south mine. There you can mine the Magic Stone; use a chisel on it to make the Stone Bowl and return to Juna to complete Tears of Guthix.
Preparing for battle[edit | edit source]
Items recommended: H.A.M. outfit, Melee or Magic equipment (not ranged) to deal with three level 22 guards and one level 50 boss, food and enough space to have both your hands empty.
Get back to Lumbridge (if you teleport Zanik will be in the Lumbridge cellar without her H.A.M. robes - this is not a problem, though you will need to retrieve her from the Lumbridge cellar before proceeding). Collect anything from the bank that you think you'll need for the fight. Then go to the chicken farm near the water mill with Zanik (across the river from Lumbridge Castle).
Equip the full H.A.M. outfit then search one of the southern crates (the empty ones, not the ones with machine parts in them), Zanik will suggest she hides in it whilst you carry it, pick her up, and go down the trapdoor. You must have free hands (no weapon or offhand).
Note: If you walk too far away from the trap door Zanik will leave the crate and suggest "we get down there and save my city!".
The battle[edit | edit source]
Go to the west room after climbing down the ladder of the nearby trapdoor. Sigmund, who is level 50, will appear, along with three level 22 Senior Guards. Sigmund will use a protection prayer based on the attack you are using, so focus on his henchmen first.
Note: By using the crates nearby, you are able to safespot using magic.
After they're dead, Zanik will attack him with her crossbow. He will switch to Protect from Missiles. Attack him with melee or magic. At 1 HP, he will escape with a ring of life. Smash the drilling machine in the same location.
Go down the southern tunnel and exit there; you'll find yourself back with the Dorgeshuun leaders. After the cut scene, the quest will be completed!
Note: If you don't have a light source, Zanik will provide you one after the cut scene when going through the short cut.
Note: You must return through the tunnel here. If you try to run back to the Lumbridge cellar entrance, the cutscene will not play.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest point
- 2,000 Thieving experience
- 2,000 Ranged experience
- Access to the H.A.M. Store room, where you can loot gems, jewellery, and coins from chests
- Access to the water wheel tunnel (Dartog will appear there, and you'll be able to travel between the Lumbridge Castle cellar, the Dorgeshuun Mines and the water wheel tunnel at will)
- Ability to use the bone dagger and Dorgeshuun crossbow special attacks
- Access to Dorgesh-Kaan, the Dorgeshuun city
- A torch if you did not have a light source in your inventory at the end of the quest
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
The completion of Death to the Dorgeshuun is required for the following:
Changes[edit | edit source]
|18 December 2014
|Leaving Lumbridge castle via the back door with Zanik now triggers the correct cutscene.|
|21 March 2013
|The Death to the Dorgeshuun quest is now accessible.|
|22 February 2013
|The Death to the Dorgeshuun quest has been temporary disabled.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When introducing Zanik to the cook, the cook says it is the Duke's birthday and he needs the basic ingredients to bake a cake. This is a reference to the Cook's Assistant quest.
- When examining Zanik at certain points later in the quest, the info "She's kicking HAM ass" is given. This caused some anger among players who thought it offensive.
- When examining Zanik's dead body while at Juna, it says "Alas, poor Zanik." referring to a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet: "Alas, poor Yorick."
- The quest was disabled for a month starting at the launch of the Old School RuneScape servers. It is most likely because the quest is involved in a famous graphical glitch, known as "the box glitch" in which a player could carry the crate with Zanik in it anywhere. The glitch would be fixed much later in RuneScape's history of development.
References[edit | edit source]