The deranged archaeologist is a demi-boss located on Fossil Island, at the southern end of the Tar Swamp. An axe is required to reach him. Directly before the area is a spine that will occasionally hit for 10 and apply poison damage.
He's exactly the same as the Crazy archaeologist in terms of combat and attack - he throws books as a ranged attack, and punches and kicks nearby players. As his special attack, it's fairly similar, except that he yells "Learn to Read!" and the orange books deal much more damage.
A player damaged by the deranged archaeologist's special attack.
- "Round and round and round and round!"
- "The plants! They're alive!"
- "They came from the ground! They came from the ground!!!"
- "Learn to Read!" (Special attack)
- "The doors won't stay closed forever!"
- "They're cheering! Why are they cheering?"
- "Time is running out! She will rise again!"
- "No hiding!"
- "Oh!" (death)
Drop rates estimated based on 22,802 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
There is a 1/128 chance of rolling the tree-herb seed drop table.
|Papaya tree seed||1||1/2,285.7||2,478||69|
|Palm tree seed||1||1/3,200||30,646||152|
|Spirit seed||1||1/4,000||Not sold||0|
|Dragonfruit tree seed||1||1/5,333.3||158,546||258|
|Redwood tree seed||1||1/8,000||24,794||390|
There is a 6/128 chance of rolling the rare drop table. There is also a 6/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/31.35; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Loop half of key||1||1/129.07; 1/122.58[d 2]||11,260||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/129.07; 1/122.58[d 2]||11,035||60|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/73.8; 1/37.48[d 2]||395||15|
|Rune 2h sword||1||1/910.22||37,815||38,400|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/147.6; 1/74.95[d 2]||654||30|
|Rune sq shield||1||1/1,365.33||22,495||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||1/1,365.33||4,900||4,500|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/295.21; 1/149.91[d 2]||1,228||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||1/2,730.67||58,920||60,000|
|Rune spear||1||1/2,704.26; 1/296.35[d 2][d 3]||11,902||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/5,408.52; 1/592.7[d 2][d 3]||65,360||66,000|
|Nature talisman||1||1/787.22; 1/399.76[d 2]||712||2|
|Dragon spear||1||1/7,211.35; 1/790.26[d 2][d 3]||37,798||37,440|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/1,180.83; 1/599.64[d 2]||2,610||120|
|Rune javelin||5||1/2,361.66; 1/1,199.28[d 2]||850||1,200|
- Upon release, the Deranged Archaeologist dropped uncharged amulet of glories at an uncommon rate. As the amulet of glory is one of the most coveted ironman items (which had high requirements - either 83 Hunter to catch dragon implings, or 80 Crafting to create), this caused player complaints about making it far too easy to obtain. This was changed and now he drops crystal keys instead.
- Upon release, the Deranged Archaeologist could be safespotted. His "No hiding!" attack was soon added to counter this.
- The examine text is a reference to the "Tears in Rain" monologue from the 1982 Ridley Scott film Blade Runner.