Desert heat is a game mechanic occurring in the Kharidian Desert south of the Shantay Pass. Every 30-90 seconds (depending on armour worn) a player spends in the desert, they will drink 1 dose of water from a waterskin in their inventory. Without any water to drink, the player takes around 10 damage. Wearing armour will decrease the interval from 90 seconds (when wearing no armour items) down to a minimum 30 seconds with full armour.
Players are not affected by desert heat while they are within the boundaries of towns or while a dialogue box is open.
Protective clothes and gear[edit | edit source]
Items[edit | edit source]
- Waterskins - Waterskins allow a player to survive the desert's heat effect, and can hold up to 4 doses of water. Each time a player drinks, one dose of water is used up. They can be filled to their maximum of 4 doses at a water source or with the Humidify Lunar spell or by using a knife or slash weapon on a Kharidian cactus.
- Choc-ice - Players who go to Nardah can buy choc-ice from Rokuh. They heal 6 hitpoints in addition to counting as a drink of water.
Clothing[edit | edit source]
Certain clothes protect against the desert heat by extending the time needed between drinks of water. These include:
- Desert amulet 4 - Provides 100% protection against desert heat when worn. Rewarded from completing the Elite Desert Diary.
- Desert clothing - This set can be purchased from Shantay at Shantay Pass, or from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid.
- Desert outfit - These outfit sets can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during, or after, the Rogue Trader miniquest. The outfit differs slightly for male and female players.
- Menaphite clothing - These sets can be purchased from Ali Morrisane in Al Kharid during, or after, the Rogue Trader miniquest. They come in two colour schemes, purple and red, which have identical bonuses.
- Prospector kit - This set can be purchased from Prospector Percy in the Motherlode Mine using golden nuggets obtained randomly from cleaning pay-dirt.
Note that players do not have to wear an entire set for the additional delay effect to happen. Each piece individually contributes to the delay.
|Desert outfit||+0||+12 top,
The maximum time between drinks is 132 seconds. This can be achieved by wearing desert robes in combination with a Menaphite hat.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
Desert heat can now be nullified by wearing the Desert amulet 4.