|Dragon Slayer (#17)|
|Released||23 September 2001 (Update)|
Dragon Slayer is a quest that focuses on the player's journey to slay Elvarg the dragon of Crandor. Often described as the hardest, yet most rewarding quest available to free-to-play players, those who successfully complete the quest gain the ability to equip the rune platebody and green d'hide body, as well as their many variations. Dragon Slayer was the last quest to be released before membership was introduced to RuneScape. Starting this quest is also required to use any dragonfire protection, although it does not need to be completed.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to the Guildmaster in the Champions' Guild.|
|Description||Prove yourself a true champion. Kill the mighty dragon Elvarg of Crandor and earn the right to buy and wear the Rune platebody.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The Champions' Guild and Oziach[edit | edit source]
To start the quest, head to the Champions' Guild south of Varrock, and talk to the Guildmaster and ask him for a quest. He will tell you to visit Oziach in the north-west corner of Edgeville, near the Wilderness ditch and the Edgeville Monastery. Oziach will explain that before he will sell the player rune platebodies, the player must kill the notorious green dragon, Elvarg, located on the scorched island of Crandor south of Entrana.
Head back to the Champions' Guild and speak to the Guildmaster once more. He will be aghast and will tell the player that they'll need to acquire three pieces of a map to find the route to the island, a boat to get to the island, and a shield to protect oneself from Elvarg's dragonfire.
Important: Players must ask the Guildmaster every question they can; otherwise, they will not be able to progress any further in the quest.
Note: in order to save time, talk to the Guildmaster now about buying the ship (ask about getting to Crandor and where to get a boat). This is required before you speak to Klarense later in the quest in Port Sarim and will save you having to return to the Guild after collecting the map pieces.
Ask the Guildmaster where Melzar's piece of the map is to receive the maze key (players must have open inventory slot to receive the key), then make sure to ask him where the other maps pieces are as well as where to acquire an anti-dragon shield.
Duke Horacio and the anti-dragon shield[edit | edit source]
To get an anti-dragon shield, players should head to Lumbridge and speak to Duke Horacio on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] floor of Lumbridge Castle. Alternatively, non-ironmen may purchase a shield from the Grand Exchange.
Three pieces make a whole[edit | edit source]
The three map pieces may be collected in any order. After collecting all three, use any piece on another to form the complete Crandor map.
Melzar[edit | edit source]
The first piece is found in Melzar's Maze. You will need food if you have a low combat level. Melzar's Maze can be found north-west of Rimmington, south of the Crafting Guild, and west of Port Sarim. (If your house portal is located here, you may wish to teleport to house and exit portal.) To get inside of Melzar's Maze, you must use the key you get from the Guildmaster in the Champions' Guild when you've started the quest. Once inside Melzar's Maze, do the following:
- Kill the one long-tailed small zombie rat to get a red key. Once you have the red key, use it on the northwestern red door (the room has a bookcase, poster, table and chairs in it), and go up the ladder.
- You will find yourself in a room full of ghosts; kill the capeless, hooded ghost wearing a tube top to receive an orange key. Go through the second door from the north, and climb up the ladder.
- You will find yourself in a room full of skeletons. Kill the skeleton with a small, round shield to get a yellow key. Open the southwestern door (make sure your map is oriented correctly) and go down the ladder at the end of the room.
- Go down the ladder again, and again, until you find yourself in a room in the basement with two zombies and a blue door. Don't use the normal exit door. If by chance you exit through the normal door, you will have to start the maze over again. Kill the zombies until you get a blue key. Use the key on the blue door to get to the next room.
- In this room, you will need to kill Melzar the Mad (level 43). For lower level mages or rangers, it might be possible to trap a spider between you and Melzar, preventing him from using his Melee attack, which causes him to do nothing for long periods of time during the fight. After you have killed him, pick up his magenta key, and use it to open the magenta door.
- In this room, there is a lesser demon (level 82). There is a safespot for rangers/mages and for meleers as well. For mages and rangers, stand one square to the right of the magenta door when looking north (this spot can also be used with a halberd). For meleers, lure the demon to the western part of the room, and attack it at his maximum attack range then walk one square west to make it lose interest, repeating that strategy as many times as needed (see gif to the right). Kill it to get a green key; use this key on the green door then open and search the chest to get a map part.
- Do not forget to claim the map piece from the chest in the green-door room.
- Go up the ladder, and exit the maze.
Thalzar[edit | edit source]
To obtain this piece, you'll need an unfired bowl, created in the Crafting skill, a Wizard's mind bomb, which can be bought in Falador for 3 coins, a lobster pot, which can be bought in Port Sarim for 20 coins, and a piece of silk, which can be bought in Al Kharid or stolen from a silk stall with level 20 Thieving. When you have all these items, talk to the Oracle, who is located on the northern end, southwest of the shabby tent, of Ice Mountain. Remember the order the Oracle names the items, as this is the order that the items must be used in the next step.
After the Oracle has given you its riddle, descend the mountain and head slightly south, to enter the Dwarven Mine (using the ladder, under the canopy where all the dwarves are standing). Make sure to bring the required items. If you forgot your items, you can bank in Falador or Edgeville before entering the caves. Head to the square room at the northeast corner of the mine and open the magic door (see the attached map), placing your items (in the order given to you by the Oracle) on the door to open it. Open the chest and search for the second map piece.
Note: The door locking mechanism won't be reset if you place an incorrect item, or leave and return to the door partway through the process. Be careful not to accidentally drink your Wizard's Mind Bomb.
Lozar[edit | edit source]
The third and final piece can be obtained by talking to Wormbrain. You must first make your way to the Goblin Village and talk to the General who will tell you that Wormbrain has been arrested and is located in the jail in Port Sarim. Wormbrain can be attacked and will drop his map piece whether the player has spoken to the Goblin General or not. Use one of two different ways to get the map piece from Wormbrain, located in Port Sarim Jail:
- You can attack him using Ranged or Magic. Once his health reaches zero (he has 5 hp), he will say "Ow!" and drop the map part for you to telegrab (if you bought an extra Wizard's Mind Bomb, you can drink it to boost your Magic level +2).
- Alternatively, you can pay him 10,000 coins in exchange for it.
Creating the map:
- Right-click and 'use' one map piece on another, and all three pieces will combine to form the Crandor map.
Lady Lumbridge[edit | edit source]
You will need 90 steel nails and three planks. To obtain the steel nails, you can either smith six steel bars into nails (requires level 34 Smithing, which is boostable), or you can buy them from the Sawmill operator north-east of Varrock or from other players. If you are a free-to-play ironman, the only place to get planks is at the Graveyard of Shadows in level 19 Wilderness.
Take your nails, planks, hammer, and 2,000 coins, and head to Port Sarim. Look for Klarense, a sailor, who is located on the second-most southern dock. He will sell you his boat named Lady Lumbridge for 2,000 coins. Pay him and the boat is yours. Board the ship and climb down the ladder. Repair the hole in the ship three times, and you'll be ready to go.
Note: If you forgot your hammer, and are on a members' world, you can buy one from a Trader Crewmember on the dock to the south, travel to the Void Knights' Outpost and buy one from the general store, or you can attack the goblins to the west until one is dropped. If you are on a free world you can kill goblins west of the Port until they drop a hammer.
Elvarg[edit | edit source]
Items required: Crandor map, food, combat equipment, and the anti-dragon shield.
Items recommended: Teleport runes, ectophial, teleport tablets, or other quick-escapes. Prayer potions or restore potions, and antifire potions.
After fully repairing the ship, take a short walk to Draynor Village and find Ned. Located in the house just northeast of the Wise Old Man's home, Ned is the town ropemaker. Ask him to be the captain of your ship, and he'll agree to sail you to Crandor. Note: You must fully repair the ship before recruiting him for the journey. Make sure you have the Crandor map in your inventory, or you will need to retrieve it from your bank.
- Elvarg is weak against stab attacks, so consider bringing a sword or dagger instead of a scimitar. Adamant or better is recommended.
- Elvarg is also weak against Ranged Attack, so Rangers should bring their best crossbow with the best bolts they can use.
- Elvarg is not immune to poison, so adding weapon poison would turn the battle even more in your favor; thus a poison dagger would be superb.
- The rest of your inventory should be filled with food; lobsters or swordfish should do. Swordfish are preferable to lobsters since they heal more per use (14 vs 12), but with a combat level of around 40 and appropriate gear, you should be able to easily defeat Elvarg using lobsters. If your stats are lower, you can buy meat pizzas or anchovy pizzas (or, with level 45 Cooking, you could cook them yourself), as they heal more hitpoints per inventory slot, but require multiple uses to fully consume. A meat pizza heals 8 HP per bite (16 total) while an anchovy pizza heals 9 per bite (18 total).
Head back to your ship to meet up with Ned and Cabin Boy Jenkins. Speak with Ned to depart and a cutscene will begin...
After crashing on the island, make your way to the top of the volcano (the dungeon marker on your minimap), avoiding skeletons, moss giants, hobgoblins, and lesser demons. Enter the hole, and a short cutscene plays, followed by abruptly finding yourself surrounded by aggressive skeletons (level 25). Walk down the corridor and you'll see Elvarg behind a door in the main chamber.
Before you enter the chamber, make sure that you have your anti-dragon shield equipped. Note: If you walk south past the chamber and past the lesser demons, you'll find a wall with an 'open' option. If you open this wall, you'll unlock a shortcut which will allow you to more easily return to Elvarg in the event that you die or teleport away during battle.
Now, go back to the main chamber, climb the wall, and fight Elvarg.
Consider activating Protect from Magic, as Elvarg's Fire Blast magical attacks hit often and hard. You'll also do well to have prayer potions or restore potions, as her dragonbreath will drain your prayer.
If you are using magical attacks, make sure you are using tier-2 Magic (i.e. Bolt spells such as Wind Bolt, Water Bolt, etc.) or higher and can equip the anti-dragon shield. Also, bring teleportation runes just in case you are about to die.
It is important to note that if you use an anti-dragon shield, as well as a drinking a dose of antifire potion, Elvarg can only hit a maximum of 7 (3 or 4 if combined with Protect from Magic) with her magical attack instead of 11, thus saving you a lot of food. Additionally, without the use of the anti-dragon shield, Elvarg's max hit is 65.
If you have a decent Defence level (35 or more), it is advisable to stand next to Elvarg, rather than safespotting her from a distance, as her dragonfire attacks can easily outweigh her melee hits. It is also advisable to stand under her while eating, as it takes her a moment to move and hit you again.
Elvarg can be flinched using melee attacks. This is fairly easy for players who know and have practiced flinching before, and the successful flincher may successfully slay the dragon while using little-to-no food. For players who don't know what flinching is, it is still recommended to take a lot of food, as getting her in the right position is quite tricky. In order to flinch this beast, you'll need to stand in the southeastern corner of her cave, in the square directly next to the northwest corner of the little lava pool. You'll also need to get Elvarg to stand directly left of the skeleton on the ground to the northwest. If you pull this off, you will notice she does not use melee or magic attacks while you're standing on this particular square. From there, begin to attack her, and immediately click on the northwest corner of the little lava pool to walk back to your safe spot. There are often rats occupying this particular square, so be mindful to click the square and not the rat. Wait for Elvarg's health bar to disappear, and repeat the process. This can and will still go wrong every now and then, so it is still recommended to bring food and have a decent combat stat.
If you die or teleport away, you will need to repair the boat again, unless you open the shortcut. If you did open the shortcut, you will not be able to travel to Crandor again by boat. You must use the entrance underneath Karamja Volcano. When returning you can use the amulet of glory to Karamja and go down the volcano to return to Elvarg quickly. Remember to open the secret door before attempting the fight, if you don't and you die you'll have to repair the ship again.
If you happen to teleport away during battle, Elvarg will not fully heal if you return quick enough. This may prove to be a major advantage to the player who needs to take their time.
Returning to Oziach[edit | edit source]
Once Elvarg is defeated and you have triumphed, you will automatically collect Elvarg's head (make sure you have an empty inventory slot). Either teleport out, or go through the shortcut and past the deadly red spiders, to the south east of the dungeon where the skeletons are, and climb up the hanging rope to arrive on top of Karamja volcano. From here, journey to Edgeville, straight to Oziach with Elvarg's head in order to prove your feat (although the head is not required in order to complete the quest).
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 Quest Quest points
- 18,650 Strength Strength experience
- 18,650 Defence Defence experience
- The ability to equip a green d'hide body, rune platebody, and dragon platebody
- Access to Crandor
- Access to the Corsair Cove Resource Area
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 January 2014
|The Ring of Charos (a) now functions correctly during Dragon Slayer.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When speaking to Oziach at the start of the quest, he asks you how you found out he sells the rune platebody. If you reply 'I am a master detective,' and have completed the Murder Mystery quest, your character will exclaim that they even solved the Sinclair murder mystery all by themselves.
- If you have completed the quest, when speaking to Duke Horacio during The Lost Tribe quest, Sigmund mentions to him that you are the same adventurer who defeated Elvarg. Otherwise Sigmund will reference Rune Mysteries instead.