Drift net anchors
|Drift net anchors|
|Released||7 September 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||Looks like a good place to anchor a drift net.|
Drift net anchors are used with the drift net fishing Hunter technique. The drift net fishing technique is used to catch fish shoals in Fossil Island's Underwater area. With the required Hunter and Fishing level, and a drift net in the inventory, clicking on the drift net anchors will set the trap. When a fish shoal swims towards the net, it may get stuck in the net. The player can choose to actively chase the fish shoals to speed up the process. A merfolk trident and trident of the seas give an increased chance to scare off fish shoals into the net.
If ten fish shoals get stuck in the trap, the net will be full, and the player will have the option to "check" the drift net. This will reward the player with ten raw fish. The drift net will be destroyed in the process.
To be allowed access to the activity, players must first speak with Ceto, located just north of the anchor rope. 200 numulites are required as payment to enter the instanced area and allowance lasts for a full day. Players can also pay a fee of 20,000 numulites to gain permanent access.
This method of fishing and hunting makes use of drift nets, which can be crafted by using two jute fibre on a loom at level 26 Crafting. These drift nets can then be strung up underwater to catch fish. Annette, located in the area, will store up to 2,000 drift nets for the player.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
There are two ways of filling up the drift nets: passively or actively.
Passive training[edit | edit source]
Go to the Hunter area to set the drift nets in place. The drift nets will slowly get filled with fish while logged in to the game. The player doesn't have to be in the area for this to happen. Every once in a while some Fishing experience will be rewarded, indicating some fish being caught. When the drift net gets full, a game message will appear in the chat box.
Active training[edit | edit source]
It is also possible to actively fill up the drift nets. This will result in the drift nets getting filled much quicker. This training method will reward both Fishing and Hunter experience.
Set up the drift nets and click on any fish shoal to chase them. Once a fish shoal has successfully been chased, it will eventually get caught once it gets near an empty drift net. Without a trident, it is possible that a fish shoal has to be clicked on multiple times before it has successfully been chased.
When a fish shoal that has been successfully chased attempts to enter a full drift net, the fish shoal will return to its idling state.
Fish[edit | edit source]
Your fishing level determines what type of fish you can catch. Boosts do not allow you to catch higher level fish.
Fishing experience is also level dependent; it does not matter which fish are caught in your nets.
|Clue bottle||47[f 1]|
|Pufferfish||47[f 1][f 2]|
|Raw anchovies||47[f 1]|
|Raw sardine||47[f 1]|
|Raw tuna||47[f 1]|
|Raw sea turtle||80|
|Raw manta ray||90|
- 47 is the minimum fishing level to start drift net fishing.
- Pufferfish can not be sent to the bank
Possible Set up[edit | edit source]
- Once inside the Hunter area, equip the merfolk trident. It is not possible to swim through the seaweed door with a weapon equipped.
- The fishbowl helmet and diving apparatus are must-haves.
- Flippers allow players to 'run' while underwater and increase XP rates. Note that if you log in underwater wearing other equipment you may need to relog after equipping flippers in order to enable run.
- Bring plenty of drift nets. It is possible to bring them noted, store them at Annette and withdraw them unnoted.
- Active fishing uses approximately 100 drift nets per hour with flippers and a merfolk trident equipped.
- Stamina potions provide some convenience but are not necessary. It's possible to fish for 20-30 minutes before depleting your run energy if you're careful with positioning and avoid constantly running from one net to another. This saves a lot of money with similar xp rates and makes the activity easily accesible for ironmen.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
The following Hunter creature may be caught using the drift net fishing technique.
|Fish shoal||47||Varies[d 1]||44||Varies[d 1]|
- Experience varies with the player's Hunter and Fishing levels. Hunter experience is only rewarded when the player actively chases the fish shoal into the drift net.