|Also called||Sand casino|
|Released||25 March 2004 (Update)|
|Music||Shine, Duel Arena|
The Al-Kharid Duel Arena is a place where players can go to engage in one-on-one Combat, either for fun or for staking coins and platinum tokens. The Duel Arena is available to both members and free-to-play, though in free-to-play there is a limit to how much you can stake.
There is no official world where players engage in the Duel Arena, but the unofficial world with the largest population is world 302.
Lore wise, Duel Arena was built in Second Age in northern part of Kharidian Empire.
|Location on World Map|
|Mage Training Arena|
|Al Kharid Mine||←||Duel Arena||→||River Salve|
Origins[edit | edit source]
The Duel Arena was added in RuneScape 2 shortly after the end of the RS2 beta to replace the "Duel anywhere" feature in RuneScape Classic. This was partially due to the feature being a concern because some players would abuse it in order to get a free teleport to Lumbridge.
Location[edit | edit source]
The arena is located northeast of Al-Kharid. It is fenced off from the rest of the area.
Players can also rub a Ring of dueling to teleport directly to the arena entrance. This saves on having to walk from far away, although using an Amulet of glory to teleport to the Al Kharid Palace is another viable option along with the Lumbridge Home Teleport as it is close to the Duel Arena.
Picking a fight[edit | edit source]
To fight another player, players must right-click their intended opponent and select the "Challenge" option. This will tell that player that someone wishes to duel with them, and they accept by challenging that player in return.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This will open the duelling options screen, which defines the parameters for the battle. The screen shows the name and Combat level of the opponent, as well as the amount of gold each player is offering up for a "bet", or a "stake", in which the difference between the stakes must not exceed 10,000 coins. Finally, there are 11 different options that can be turned on or off and are adjustable by either player. These are detailed as follows:
- No Ranged: No ranged weaponry can be equipped during the battle.
- No Melee: Players cannot engage in hand-to-hand combat, including bare fists/feet.
- No Magic: No magical attack spells can be cast.
- No Special Attacks: Special attacks cannot be used.
- Fun Weapons: The only allowed weapons are those with negative attack stats, such as the Rubber chicken,Flowers, Birthday cake, rubber mouse toy, and Golden tench. Bare fists/feet are not allowed.
- No Forfeit: Players cannot escape the arena; the fight lasts until one player dies.
- No Drinks: Players cannot drink anything that boosts stats, such as potions. All stats that are boosted prior to the fight are reset to their default values once the fight begins.
- No Food: Eating food to heal is not allowed, including Saradomin brews.
- No Prayer: Using the Prayer skill is not allowed.
- No Movement: Players can't walk or run during the battle.
- Obstacles: One of the walled arenas is used during the fight, putting the players in a sort of mini-maze.
Some of the options can't be combined; for instance, having no Ranged, Melee, or Magic makes it impossible to fight.
It is also possible to select and disable equipment slots on this screen. Rangers should be careful not to check off shield if they intend to use a bow.
Once the battle begins, players are teleported into the arena itself with a 3-second countdown before the fighting actually begins. If "No Forfeit" was not checked off, players who are losing (or simply wish to end the duel early) can retreat through one of the trapdoors, ending the battle immediately. Anything staked is awarded to the other player.
Presets[edit | edit source]
A player may save the duel options and load it as a preset. This is very handy especially for stakers to avoid getting scammed.
The 3 different options are:
- Save as preset: Saves the current choice of options and saves it as a preset.
- Load preset: Loads the preset that the player saved.
- Load last duel: Loads the last duels options.
Outcome[edit | edit source]
After the battle ends, players are teleported back to the building beside the arena and healed (poison and stat-reducing effects are negated as well). Any Ranged weapons that fell to the ground are automatically returned to the owner. If there was a stake, the victor claims the prize(s). When you die you only lose the gold you staked.
The winnings (the combined total of both players' stakes) are also taxed by a percentage depending on the size of the stake. This tax acts as a gold sink by removing part of the winnings from the game. If the total winnings are less than ten million coins, then 0.25% is deducted. If the winnings are between ten and 100 million coins, then 0.5% is deducted. For stakes of 100 million or more, 1% is deducted.
Near the gate is a scoreboard where players can view the last 50 battles on that server. This includes the combat levels of the combatants and who won the round. The scoreboard automatically updates every five minutes.
Warning[edit | edit source]
Staking can become a very addictive activity if players are not careful. It's highly recommended to only stake small increments and never stake gold that you are not willing to lose. Many stakers fall into the trap where they will start off small but will eventually stake their entire bank in an attempt to recover the losses.
National Council on Problem Gambling Hotline [USA/Canada]: 1-800-522-4700
GamCare National Gambling Helpline [UK]: 0808 8020 133
SAMSHA Website: https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline
NPCs[edit | edit source]
The following NPCs are found at the Duel Arena:
- Captain Daerkin
- Surgeon General Tafani
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It was once possible to create a neverending duel, by setting Ranged on, arrows off and movement off made it so the game was fooled and players stood facing each other unable to attack.
- Using Retribution prayer to kill your opponent as you die will still give the win to your opponent.
- While players are in a duel with each other, players cannot lay box traps. Attempting to do so will state in the game chat to the player:
I don't think your opponent will fall for that.
- Players cannot trade whilst dueling. Attempting to do so will state in the game chat to the player:
You can't trade in a duel arena.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|16 August 2018
|6 August 2015
It is no longer possible to search a panning tray inside a duel at the Duel Arena.
|16 July 2015
(update | poll)
-It is now possible to save and load a chosen set of rules for duels. -Possible to choose to use the same rules as your previous duel.
-When a change is made to the rules the 'Accept' button cannot be clicked for a few seconds.
-The second screen that appears when starting a duel has been given a makeover.
|16 July 2015
More challenge messages at the Duel Arena will now appear under the trade chat tab.
|18 December 2014
You can no longer buy rotten tomatoes from the duel arena crate on F2P Worlds.
|27 November 2014
(update | poll)
Because organised commission staking FCs are acting as a front for real world traders, from now anyone being part of a commission staking friends chat (that is hosting, participating and advertising) will be considered as involved in real world trading. In effect, commission staking is now against the rules.
|6 November 2014
You can no longer stake a stack of items if the total stack of spoils will be great than 2147M due to inventory space limits.
|9 October 2014
Fixed a typo when talking to duel arena nurses.
|21 August 2014
(update | poll)
No movement duels are added in a dedicated arena.
|26 June 2014
(update | poll)
Your duel partner's chat and any game messages relating to the stake setup, are now output to the trade tab while the challenge interfaces are open. If either player closes the first or second screens the chat stops appearing on the trade tab.
|29 May 2014
|22 May 2014
In preparation for the F2P trial period, we've made the Duel Arena available on F2P worlds so that non-members can duel there.
|27 March 2014
Fadli the banker will now look after your stake winnings if your inventory becomes full during a duel.