Free-to-play, also known as F2P, is the free version of Old School RuneScape where no payment to Jagex is required to play. Players who play the free version of RuneScape are known as "Free players", "F2Pers", or "Non-members". This is in contrast to members, who pay a fee for access to a much larger map and a multitude of skills, items, quests, and activities that are unavailable to free-to-play users. Free-to-play users can gain access to membership through in-game purchases of membership bonds.
Free-to-play in Old School RuneScape was released permanently on the 19th of February 2015. Before this, a two-week F2P trial was available for new accounts. Anyone with a valid RuneScape account can access free-to-play servers.
Free-to-play content[edit | edit source]
While free-to-play accounts have many limitations that members do not, free to play still yields a decent gaming experience for players.
Skills[edit | edit source]
The skills are:
- Melee skills: Attack, Strength and Defence (and Hitpoints)
- Magic with limited access to standard spells
- Strike, bolt and elemental blast spells plus Crumble Undead
- Confuse, Weaken, Curse and Bind spells
- Level 1, 2, 3, and 4 enchantments (limited to amulets for free-to-play)
- Home, Varrock, Lumbridge and Falador Teleports
- Telekinetic Grab
- Tele Block
- Bones to Bananas, Low Level Alchemy, High Level Alchemy and Superheat Item
- Prayers are available up to level 45 Mystic Might.
- The 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Edgeville Monastery becomes available at level 31.
- Runecraft elemental, mind and body runes
- Mining and Smithing
- Fishing and Cooking
- Woodcutting and Firemaking
Transportation[edit | edit source]
Since you can't train agility, the only effective way to travel long distances is teleportation. Also avoid wearing armour if you are skilling and not doing combat since that will deplete your run energy. A chronicle is very useful early in the game for fast access to the Champions' Guild just south of Varrock, and also close to a canoe station. A woodcutting axe and 12 woodcutting can be used for travelling along the river Lum in a canoe. 57 woodcutting is needed for the Wilderness locations, including Ferox Enclave and pools of refreshment. You should get 37 magic as soon as possible for access to teleportation spells. Arguably magic is a more useful skill to train since it has a lot of other uses.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Although there are a great quantity of items unavailable to free players, they can still use most melee equipment up to rune armour (40 attack and defence), including god-affiliated armours. Likewise players can use ranged equipment up to green dragonhide armour (40 ranged and defence) and maple shortbows. Magic equipment is very limited but includes wizard robes and hats. Prayer gear include Monk's robes and the Holy symbol. The best overall amulet is the amulet of power, and the only useful ring is the ring of forging. The equipment with the highest bonuses for each combat-style is listed on this page.
- Basic weapons and armour made of bronze, iron, steel, black, mithril, adamant and rune, but some specifics like metal gloves, halberds and metal boots are not included.
- Additional items include hill giant club and shaman mask.
- Ranging gear includes leather armour, studded leather armour and green dragonhide.
- Normal, oak, willow and maple bows are available with ammunition up to adamant arrows.
- Crossbows and phoenix crossbows can be used with normal bronze bolts.
- Magic armour is limited to blue and black wizard robes and Zamorak monk robes, and staves are limited to the four elemental staves, Magic staff, basic staff, and Skull sceptre.
Potions[edit | edit source]
The only potions available in free-to-play are energy potion, antipoison, and strength potion, all obtainable from the Grand Exchange or the Apothecary. Strength potions are an economic way to train melee combat stats, so it's recommended to use them.
Food[edit | edit source]
Foods are consumables that restore Hitpoints. The highest healing food in a single bite is a swordfish at 14, the highest healing per inventory slot is an anchovy pizza at 18, 9 Hitpoints in 2 bites. There are sometimes better foods in terms of price per healing, so be sure to check the food page.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Asgarnia Ice Dungeon (except the Skeletal Wyvern area)
- Crandor and Karamja Dungeon
- Dwarven mine
- Edgeville Dungeon (except the section that is in the Wilderness)
- Stronghold of Security
- Varrock Sewers
- Corsair Cove Dungeon
Some monsters have restricted drop tables in F2P, and not all areas contain all of the monsters found in P2P servers.
The highest level free-to-play monsters are Evil Chicken and shades. There are 2 bosses with broadcast loot and kill counters, the first being Obor, who can be killed in Edgeville Dungeon after having retrieved the key to his lair. The second being Bryophyta, who can be found in her lair in the Varrock Sewers after the player had obtained a mossy key from a moss giant. Other notable higher level monsters include ankous, lesser demons, greater demons, ogress shamans, ogress warriors, and the quest boss, Elvarg.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Minigames[edit | edit source]
Restrictions for newly created characters[edit | edit source]
An Update added several restrictions to newly created Free-to-play characters.
Newly created characters cannot:
- Drop items for other players to pick up. They can still pick up items dropped by others.
- Give away items in a trade. They can still receive items.
- Log in to PvP worlds.
- Create Sell offers for commonly botted items on the Grand Exchange.
- Add items to the Party Chest in the Party Room in Falador.
- Stake in the Duel Arena.
Additionally, if a newly created character is killed by another player, the amount of noted items, the other player receives as loot, are capped at 20 notes per item. These Restrictions can be removed by meeting the following requirements:
Purchasing membership will remove all restrictions as well.
Other[edit | edit source]
Free players are limited to 400 bank spaces in which to store items, with up to 416 after PIN and authenticator setup.
Free players are limited to 3 Grand Exchange offer slots.
Old school bonds can be purchased with real-world cash or with in-game coins, and can be redeemed in-game for membership playtime. It is possible to make enough money in-game to play membership content without having to pay any real-world money.
Comparison to regular Runescape F2P areas in the past
The current F2P accessible areas on the surface of OSRS currently closely resemble that of the early to mid era of Runescape HD, with some added content that never existed in the orignal RuneScape game.
Free-to-play servers[edit | edit source]
There are 66 free-to-play servers located in United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Germany. The free-to-play player-versus-player world is switched between world 371 (UK) and 417 (US) every 2 weeks. Sixteen of the servers are themed, nine of which have total level restriction.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|2 April 2020
Several restrictions were added for newly created Free-to-play characters.
|5 March 2015
Due to an influx of F2P players, 3 members worlds (301, 326 and 335) have been converted to F2P. These worlds will be changed back next week after setting up additional F2P worlds.