Fairytale I - Growing Pains
|Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains (#99)|
|Released||27 February 2006 (Update)|
|Quest series||Fairy Tale (#2)|
|Lead developer(s)||Greg V|
A Fairy Tale I - Growing Pains is a quest following Lost City set in Zanaris, the fairies' world and Gielinor's moon. The quest is focused on the Fairy Queen's encounter with a dangerous tanglefoot and her replacement, the Fairy Godfather.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Martin the Master Gardener in Draynor Village.|
|Description||Recently, farmers around RuneScape have been noticing some trouble with their farming patches. They just don't seem to have the same yields as before. What could be the source of this malady?|
|Enemies to defeat||Tanglefoot (level 111)|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Beginning the quest[edit | edit source]
Items required: None.
Talk to Martin the Master Gardener.
Note: Do not pickpocket Martin during the quest, or you won't be able to talk to him for 15 minutes of in-game time.
He's walking around the pig pen north-west of the bank in Draynor Village. You can teleport to Draynor Village using an Amulet of Glory. He'll mention that his roses haven't been doing as well as they used to, and he suspects something's wrong. He wants you to ask the other members of G.A.G. (Group of Advanced Gardeners) if they're having the same problems he's having.
Gathering information[edit | edit source]
Items required: 5 coins (if you don't have secateurs already), Falador, Lumbridge and Varrock teleport (tablet)s, Combat Bracelet (optional but recommended), dramen staff. (If you plan on using a canoe, bring an axe.)
You can choose any of the gardeners near the farming patches (allotments, hops, trees or fruit trees, anywhere you could pay a farmer to watch your crops) around RuneScape. Ask if they are a member of the Group of Advanced Gardeners. The easiest ones to reach are:
You need to talk to five of them.
- Frizzy Skernip, next to the bar in Port Sarim, just south of the Falador cabbage patch
- Elstan, at the allotment patch just south-east of Falador (You can purchase farming related items, such as secateurs for 5 coins, from Sarah in the large house south-west of Elstan. Speaking with her also completes an easy task in the Falador achievement diary.)
- Heskel, at the tree patch in Falador Park
- Dreven, at the bush patch near the Champions' Guild (Teleport with the Chronicle or use a canoe, or teleport there with a combat bracelet.)
- Vasquen, north-east of Lumbridge Castle
- Fayeth, just west of the Lumbridge Castle
- Treznor, inside Varrock Palace grounds
- Alain, at the tree patch in Taverley
- Taria, just west of the house portal in Rimmington
- Note: Ayesha, the G.A.G. member that tends to cacti in Al Kharid, and Marisi, the G.A.G. member that tends to the Hosidius patches do not count toward your five person count during this quest.
All of them say the same thing. They've been having trouble with poor crops. They all have different explanations of what's wrong, though. However, the last person you ask will have a more interesting explanation. They will suggest maybe the fairies have something to do with it. While it does seem to be a bit fantastical, that would only be if it weren't for the fact that you know a few of them.
- Note: If you have not gotten a spade yet, do not wield your dramen staff, and take one from inside the shed before teleporting into Zanaris.
Trouble in Zanaris[edit | edit source]
Items required: A Dramen staff or Lunar staff.
Head to the Fairy Queen's throne room. It's just south of where you enter the city, in the room with the Slayer master, Chaeldar. However, something's wrong. The queen herself is missing. Instead, someone called the "Fairy Godfather" is here. He'll tell you that the queen has fallen to some sort of illness. She's under the care of Fairy Nuff.
To find the queen, head west and go to the room to the north of the bank. Talk to Fairy Nuff, and she'll tell you the details of the queen's illness and give you a list to take to a wizard named Zandar Horfyre.
Investigating the illness[edit | edit source]
Go to Falador and head west, or to save time use a Skills Necklace teleport to the Crafting Guild and travel north-west to the Dark Wizards' Tower. Be aware that you will need to walk past several level 11-23 dark wizards that can be aggressive. Head up to the top floor and talk to Zandar. He'll take the symptom list and then suggest you talk to Malignius Mortifer.
He can be found east of the Crafting Guild and directly south of Falador, along with a few elemental wizards. Talk to him, and he'll tell you he could probably help, but he wants something from you first. He wants a Draynor skull from a grave near Draynor Manor. Go to the manor and around to the back (north side, inside the fencing). Dig up the grave there. If you need a spade, there is one that respawns in the manor.
Blessed secateurs[edit | edit source]
Once you have the skull, go back to Malignius, and give it to him. He'll tell you that the queen's problem has to do with a creature called a Tanglefoot. In order to kill it, you need to enchant a pair of secateurs. To do this, Malignius will tell you to take a pair of secateurs and three additional items to the Nature Grotto. The items are randomly chosen from the below list. While most of the items are tradeable, ironman accounts will need to obtain the items from their normal sources.
- Note: Be sure to read your quest description to ensure you pick the correct combination before leaving.
|Item||How to obtain||Notes||GE Price|
|Babydragon bones||Dropped by baby dragons||578|
|Blue dragon scale||Spawns in Taverley Dungeon and Corsair Cove Dungeon||Bring antifire protection from nearby blue dragons||654|
|Charcoal||Various general stores, notably Jiminua's Jungle Store. (for 67, or 58 with Karamja gloves 1 or better)||128|
|Clean avantoe||The grimy herb can be dropped by a variety of monsters, or grown from an avantoe seed (with 50 ), then cleaned (with 48 .)||1,765|
|Clean irit leaf||The grimy herb can be dropped by a variety of monsters, or grown from an irit seed (with 44 ), then cleaned (with 40 .)||704|
|Clean snapdragon||The grimy herb can be dropped by a variety of monsters, or grown from a snapdragon seed (with 62 ), then cleaned (with 59 ); snapdragon is also a reward from the Brimhaven Agility Arena.||9,190|
|Clean volencia moss||The grimy herb can be gathered from rocks at Karamja Jungle Mine, then cleaned||Requires partial completion of Jungle Potion to obtain||Untradeable|
|Crushed gem||Fail to cut an opal, jade, or red topaz||These gems can be obtained from pickpocketing H.A.M. members ( 15 ), or mined from gem rocks (with 40 and completion of Shilo Village)||Untradeable|
|Edible seaweed||Spawns on Fossil Island and Mos Le'Harmless, or dropped by a variety of monsters||Bring a druid pouch when taking this item through Mort Myre to the Nature Grotto, as ghasts can turn this into rotten food.||21|
|Fat snail||Dropped by bruise blamish snails and blood blamish snails||1,311|
|Grapes||Spawn in Cooks' Guild (with 32 )||46|
|Jangerberries||Free spawn on an ogre island near Yanille, or grown from jangerberry seeds (with 48 )||283|
|Jogre bones||Dropped by jogres||631|
|King worm||Free spawns in north-west Gnome Stronghold and in Taverley||Bring a druid pouch when taking this item through Mort Myre to the Nature Grotto, as ghasts can turn this into rotten food.||513|
|Lime||Buy from Funch's Fine Groceries or Grand Tree Groceries (for 2)||25|
|Mort myre fungus||Use the "Bloom" option of a silver sickle (b) in Mort Myre||Take care not to accidentally add this to a druid pouch||318|
|Mort myre pear||710|
|Mort myre stem||312|
|Nature talisman||Dropped by a variety of monsters, including monsters with access to the rare drop table||A more reliable way to obtain the talisman is to kill abyssal leeches in the Abyss||1,025|
|Oyster (unopened)||Dropped by a variety of monsters, or caught using a big fishing net, or through panning at the Digsite||Make sure not to open the oyster||97|
|Potato cactus||Grown from potato cactus seeds (with 64 ), or collected from spawns in the Kalphite Lair||Beware of monsters in the Kalphite Lair||816|
|Proboscis||Dropped by mosquitoes encountered during Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup||Completion of Jungle Potion is required to access Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup||177|
|Raw cave eel||Caught in the Lumbridge Swamp Caves (with 38 )||Bring a light source for the caves||508|
|Red spiders' eggs||Various spawns||568|
|Red vine worm||Dug up in McGrubor's Wood||Bring a spade, and watch for the aggressive guard dogs||Untradeable|
|Raw slimy eel||Caught in Mort Myre and Lumbridge Swamp Caves (with 28 )||Bring a light source if fishing in Lumbridge Swamp Caves||318|
|Snape grass||Grown from snape grass seeds (with 61 ), or collected from various spawns||433|
|Supercompost||See main article||A quick way for ironman accounts to obtain supercompost is to buy 15 pineapples from a Trader Crewmember and place them into a compost bin.||338|
|Uncut diamond||Randomly obtained whilst mining, particularly from gem rocks; also dropped by various monsters, including from the rare drop table; may also be randomly obtained from opening caskets or bags full of gems, or by completing certain random events||The Misthalin Mystery and Troll Romance quests provide uncut rubies and uncut diamonds as rewards.||2,910|
|White berries||Grown from whiteberry seeds (with 59 ); or dropped by a variety of monsters; or obtained from various dangerous spawns||262|
When you finally have the items you need, grab your Amulet of Ghostspeak and secateurs and go to the Mort Myre Swamp (you can use the Kharyrll Teleport, your Ectophial and then go west, the Salve graveyard teleport (tablet), or the Shades of Mort'ton minigame teleport), and talk to the Nature Spirit. He'll bless your secateurs, at which point they'll take on a green glow.
Killing the Tanglefoot[edit | edit source]
Head back to Zanaris. Grab your armour and food, and make sure to bring your magic secateurs. From the fairy ring, travel south-west, south of the Puro-Puro field, to the mysterious ruins of the Cosmic altar. (You can take one or two shortcuts if your Agility is 46 or 66 respectively.) At one side of the room is a gap through the wall you can climb through. The "Gatekeeper" there should let you through.
Inside the tunnel are a couple of Baby tanglefoots, and at the end of the tunnel will be a level-111 Tanglefoot - wield your magic secateurs to kill it. If you have the Protect from Melee prayer, it is recommended to use it.
It's also possible to flinch Tanglefoot using the mushrooms in his chamber.
- Note: The Tanglefoot can be a tough fight due to the restriction of using only magic secateurs; however, by employing a hit-and-run strategy, you can avoid getting hit, as the enemy seems to avoid certain parts of the cave. A ring of recoil can be used to speed up the fight, however the killing blow must come from the secateurs. The Tanglefoot has a maximum hit of 11. With full rune armour, 50 Attack and 50 Strength, this boss can be easily defeated with a full inventory of decent food, no prayer, and 1 Farming. If you have Protect from Melee, you won't need any food. Once you have defeated the Tanglefoot, make sure to grab the Queen's secateurs before leaving the tunnel.
- Note: The second row of tiles north after the big mushroom in the big room where Tanglefoot is situated, is the row that resets its aggro, which you use for the Hit and run strategy.
- Important note for low level players: Even with magic secateurs equipped due to the formula that calculates the damage you deal against Tanglefoot, if your combined Strength level, Farming level and equipment strength is too low, you will not be able to damage the Tanglefoot and will keep hitting 0s (this is not you missing; this is your damage dealt being less than 0.5 and as a result rounded down to 0). It is recommended that your Strength and Farming levels add up to at least 30+ and to use easy to obtain Strength-boosting equipment such as an Amulet of strength, Climbing boots, etc.
Once you have defeated the Tanglefoot (some Baby tanglefeet level 45 might start to attack you), and have the Queen's secateurs in your inventory, head back to the Fairy Godfather, and speak with him once again.
Congratulations! Quest completed!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 Quest points
- Magic secateurs (increases crop harvests by 10% when Farming)
- 3,500 Farming experience
- 2,000 Attack experience
- 1,000 Magic experience
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Fairytale I - Growing Pains is directly required for the following quests/miniquests:
Changes[edit | edit source]
|26 November 2015
Typo correction: A double space in the Fairytale I quest.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If completing this quest at level 1 Farming, the experience reward is enough to get you to level 17.
- Fairy Nuff put the Queen in the "Tempus fugit" state, which will make the time slow down for the Queen. "Tempus fugit" is Latin, and can be translated to "Time flies".
- Before handing the Symptoms List to Zandar Horfyre, he gets mad at the player for attacking his fellow Dark Wizards, even while having never done so or set foot into his tower beforehand.
- Martin the Master Gardener will also recognise the player as a pickpocket, even if the player has never picked his (or anyone else's) pocket.
- Martin the Master Gardener will not let the player start Fairytale II - Cure a Queen directly after completion, upon speaking with him he says that he needs to plant some crops and wait for them to grow before he rewards the player, and will then scold the player for impatience in the dialogue following, instructing the player to come back later.