|Released||1 September 2016 (Update)|
Family Pest is a miniquest involving the player excitedly asking to help the Fitzharmon family when it appears that they don't really need help.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Dimintheis in south-east Varrock. Show on map|
|Requirements||Completion of Family Crest|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Speak to Dimintheis, who is found in the closed off area in south-east Varrock. You will enthusiastically ask if he has any more quests for you. After saying that he "couldn't possibly trouble you further", and that he is content with life, select the option Oh come on, however menial, I want to help! He will tell you although he doesn't have anything for you to do, his sons may.
You may visit his sons in any order.
Avan[edit | edit source]
Speak to Avan. You will ask if he needs help with anything, as you've had "a bit of spare time lately". He will say that everything is fantastic and thanks you for the perfect jewellery you obtained for him during Family Crest. You will then say that you have a LOT of spare time, and will help out with anything he can think of, but he refuses again.
Caleb[edit | edit source]
Caleb is located in Catherby, in the building north-east of the bank. He can be quickly reached with a Catherby Teleport if players have access to the lunar spellbook. Otherwise, players can use Camelot teleport and run south-east, or south-west from the white wolf mountain gnome glider.
Speak to Caleb. You will say that you are ready to help with whatever he needs (again). You will daydream about what the family will reward you with, only catching the last bit of what he says, which is investigating a broken lamping stick. You will then ask for him to repeat his problem, as your mind was elsewhere, but this frustrates him and he asks you not to worry about it.
Johnathon[edit | edit source]
He will excitedly ask for more help, in which he mentions a woman he loves is trapped in a tall tower, surrounded by a flying dragon. Ready to jump into action, you ask the location of the tower. It turns out, unfortunately, that he was joking.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
As the sweet smell of great rewards fades almost completely, head back to Dimintheis, who is happy to hear that his sons are doing well.
As you are about to leave, disappointed in the lack of help the family needs, Dimintheis suddenly remembers that he does indeed have something you can help him with: 500,000 coins. As they are supposedly a rich family, you ask him why he would need an exorbitant amount of money.
He will tell you that his family only pretends to be rich, and that they gave themselves a fancy surname. In addition, the gauntlets are not a family heirloom and that he asked the player to recover the family crest to appear wealthy.
Give him 500,000 coins. Miniquest complete!
Reward[edit | edit source]
- Ability to own all three steel gauntlets (Chaos gauntlets, Cooking gauntlets, and Goldsmith gauntlets) simultaneously. Speak to any of the brothers to receive one free of charge. You can obtain multiple of each gauntlet. Speak to Dimintheis to receive the base steel gauntlets free of charge, you can obtain multiple copies of these as well.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Speaking to Dimintheis after completing the miniquest reveals that he has many steel gauntlets in his basement, despite no visible entrances in his house.
- Johnathon's joke about a lady trapped at the top of a large tower defended by a dragon is a reference of the trope of Princess and dragon, similar to Sleeping Beauty.
- Despite not being a differentiation from any known quest in RuneScape, there are two key differences between Dimintheis, his sons and their nobility status that is noted from this miniquest:
- In Old School RuneScape, Dimintheis tells you that his family pretend to be nobles, and that the gauntlets aren't a family heirloom, as well as only requesting the crest to be return to appear wealthy. But in RuneScape, Dimintheis' nobility is real, which plays a role in the Defender of Varrock quest. Due to him being a descendent of one of the Elders of Avarrocka, he is capable of using the powers stored within the Shield of Arrav, allowing him to save Varrock from the zombie invasion at the end of the quest.
- His sons in RuneScape each can give you the enchanted versions of the gauntlets for 1,000,000 coins after completing only Family Crest without having to do a mini-quest.