Farming training focuses heavily on doing tree runs, which is a recurring training method. Much like dailies and recurring money making methods, tree runs give Farming experience passively over time since it is possible to only do 1 or 2 runs per day. Instead of actively training the skill for hours, players only spend a few minutes to do a run, gaining a lot of Farming experience during that short amount of time, and then do other activities while waiting for the patches to grow. While trees take very long to grow in real time, players spend very little time actively doing tree runs.
Doing tree runs costs money, and certain saplings and protection payments can be quite expensive. It is recommended to have a decent amount of capital to be able to buy a lot of Farming supplies at once, and have a good money making method to sustain the cost of doing tree runs. Herb runs are often highly profitable and they also offer fair amount Farming experience, but usually it is better to look into money making alternatives that offer better profit.
- 1 Starting off
- 2 Levels 15–99: Tree runs
- 3 Example tree runs
- 4 Other methods
- 5 See also
Starting off[edit | edit source]
Levels 1–35: Questing[edit | edit source]
Early levels can be skipped by completing quests that give Farming experience. Completing the Goblin generals subquest of Recipe for Disaster, Fairytale I - Growing Pains, Forgettable Tale..., Garden of Tranquillity, Enlightened Journey, and My Arm's Big Adventure grants a total of 22,500 experience, which will get the player up to level 35. This skips much of the tedium of low-level Farming and allows the player to do effective farm runs straight away.
Levels 1–15: Bagged plants[edit | edit source]
The quickest way to plant them, assuming that your house is in Rimmington, is to bring three watering cans, a stack of coins, and as many noted bagged plants as you can afford. You can hand your notes to Phials to un-note them (for a small fee) and refill your watering cans in the building just east of the well.
To make the process even faster, spam the 1 button while planting and removing the bagged plants. This will select the bagged plant and confirm the removal, allowing you to plant and remove plants very quickly.
|1||Bagged plant 1||31||-1,523||-49.13|
|6||Bagged plant 2||70||-5,787||-82.67|
|12||Bagged plant 3||100||-11,939||-119.39|
|5||Bagged dead tree||31||-1,431||-46.16|
|10||Bagged nice tree||44||-2,852||-64.82|
|15||Bagged oak tree||70||-6,036||-86.23|
|30||Bagged willow tree||100||-11,270||-112.7|
|45||Bagged maple tree||122||-15,905||-130.37|
|60||Bagged yew tree||141||-21,242||-150.65|
|75||Bagged magic tree||223||-52,604||-235.89|
|56||Thorny hedge (bagged)||72||-5,517||-76.62|
|60||Nice hedge (bagged)||100||-10,891||-108.91|
|64||Small box hedge (bagged)||122||-15,936||-130.62|
|65||Topiary hedge (bagged)||141||-25,819||-183.11|
|72||Fancy hedge (bagged)||158||-25,071||-158.68|
|76||Tall fancy hedge (bagged)||223||-49,377||-221.42|
|80||Tall box hedge (bagged)||316||-103,697||-328.16|
Levels 1–13: Making sulphurous fertiliser[edit | edit source]
Sulphurous fertilisers can be made when the player has 5% Hosidius favour, each granting 2 experience in Farming. Gaining 100% favour from 5.0% requires 950 to be made and handed in if choosing to use this method for gaining favour. A player that starts at level 1 Farming will get 13 Farming by creating these 950 sulphurous fertilisers.
Levels 1–15: Making supercompost/ultracompost[edit | edit source]
Another option to train the early levels is to make supercompost or ultracompost in a compost bin. Each bucket of supercompost grants 8.5 farming experience, or 10 experience with the addition of volcanic ash to produce ultracompost.
Levels 1–15: Farming allotments[edit | edit source]
Levels 1–15: Sorceress's garden[edit | edit source]
In the Sorceress's Garden minigame, players can pick sq'irk fruits or herbs from the gardens. No Thieving level is required, but a higher Thieving level increases Thieving experience rates. Picking any sq'irk yields 60 Farming experience and 1 of those sq'irks, completing the winter garden to 15 requires 41 laps. Picking from the herb patch yields 50 Farming experience and two random herbs from any garden which requires 49 laps.
This method, once the gardens are set up correct for 1-click methods, is one of the least click-intensive ways to train. Training using only this method from 65 to 99 Thieving yields 503,520 Farming experience.
Levels 15–99: Tree runs[edit | edit source]
The most effective way to gain Farming experience is to plant the highest-tier tree, fruit tree, and hardwood tree saplings available, along with the special tree saplings (calquat, celastrus, crystal, and redwood). After the trees have grown, the player checks the health of a fully grown tree for Farming experience, pays the farmer to chop down the tree and replants the tree.
Tree runs are a passive training method and they offer the fastest experience effectively by far. For example, if it took the player 5 minutes to do a tree run and the player gained 100,000 Farming experience from the run, the experience rate would effectively be 1,200,000 experience per hour (12 runs per one actively spent hour). Players would only spend 5 minutes to do the run and then do something else while the trees grow, such as train other skills.
Even though it is only possible to do 1 or 2 tree runs per day, doing tree runs over time ends up being much faster than doing methods that offer faster experience in real time, such as farming allotments. Tree runs should be the first priority for Farming training, and active training methods should only be done if Farming is the player's last skill to level 99. Getting level 99 Farming should take around 3–4 months at most if the player does tree runs fairly consistently.
Recommended quests and stats[edit | edit source]
- Tree Gnome Village and The Grand Tree for access to spirit trees for transportation.
- Bone Voyage for access to three hardwood patches on Fossil Island.
- Plague City for Ardougne Teleport to access Brimhaven faster (if the player does not have access to redirection scrolls or does not have the player-owned house in Brimhaven).
- Tai Bwo Wannai Trio to be able to use Tai bwo wannai teleport scrolls to the calquat patch.
- Started Mourning's End Part I for access to the fruit tree patch in Lletya and teleport crystals.
- Song of the Elves for access to the crystal tree patch.
- 40 to be able to move the player-owned house to Brimhaven
- 40 for casting teleportation spells, although teleport tablets can be used instead.
General information and tips[edit | edit source]
Players should always pay the farmer to chop down the trees for replanting. This is much faster than chopping the tree yourself and it only costs a small amount of money. The celastrus tree has valuable harvest however, and for some players it can be worthwhile to spend extra time to gather the celastrus barks.
Generally it is best to pay the farmer to look after the tree, so it cannot die and players are guaranteed to get the Farming experience from checking the health of the tree. Certain payments can be very expensive, so it may be worthwhile to treat the patch with ultracompost instead to minimise the chance of disease. This can save some money depending on the tree and payment, but it is slightly slower overall as sometimes the tree will die and players would have spent time for no experience gained. The Resurrect Crops Arceuus spell also helps reduce the number of trees lost this way. The tree patch in Falador Park will never get diseased after completion of the elite tasks in the Falador Diary.
It is best to buy the saplings from the Grand Exchange as this saves time, but it can be worthwhile to grow the saplings yourself to save some money. Saplings are made by using a tree seed on a filled plant pot while having a gardening trowel in your inventory, using a watering can on the seedlings to water them and then waiting for them to grow into saplings. Saplings grow while stored in bank, so players do not have to have them in their inventory. Players who have level 68 Magic and have completed Dream Mentor can use Humidify spell to water the seedlings faster.
Farming regular trees is usually much more expensive compared to other options. Players who are not in a rush to level up Farming are advised to only farm fruit trees, hardwood trees and special trees for cheaper experience. Depending on the prices, it may also be worthwhile to farm palm trees instead of dragonfruit trees at higher levels, as growing dragonfruit trees costs 10.9 per experience and palm trees would only cost 4.01 per experience, including the protection payments.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- 6 tree (one patch in the Farming Guild requires 65 Farming to access)
- 6 fruit tree (starting at 27 Farming. One patch in the Farming Guild requires 85 Farming to access)
- 3 hardwood (starting at 35 Farming. Requires completion of Bone Voyage to access)
- 1 calquat (starting at 72 Farming)
- 1 crystal (starting at 74 Farming)
- 1 celastrus (starting at 85 Farming)
- 1 redwood (starting at 90 Farming)
- Payments in bank notes (recommended)
- Teleport tabs or runes for Taverley house or Falador teleport, Brimhaven house or Ardougne teleport, Catherby or Camelot teleport, Lumbridge teleport and Varrock teleport.
- Skills necklace (for the tree and fruit tree patches in the Farming Guild)
- Ring of wealth (for access to the spirit tree at the Grand Exchange and slightly faster access to the Falador tree patch)
- Alternatively, Falador Teleport and Varrock Teleport to the Grand Exchange (after medium Varrock Diary) can be used instead
- Teleport crystal or its eternal version (for access to Prifddinas and Lletya)
- Digsite pendant (for the hardwood tree patch in Fossil Island)
- Slayer ring (optional for Gnome Stronghold tree patch)
- Tai bwo wannai teleport scroll (costs 7,003, recommended for the calquat patch)
- Stamina potion
- Farmer's outfit or graceful outfit (optional)
For hardwood trees, if protection payment is skipped and ultracompost (692) is used instead, growing teaks ( 35 Farming) costs 0.17 coins per experience, while mahogany trees ( 55 Farming) costs 0.19 coins per experience.
For specialty trees, growing calquat tree ( 72 Farming) costs 0.07 coins per experience, requiring payment of 8 poison ivy berries.
|Level||Seed||Payment||Growth time||Experience||Total cost [T 1]||GP/XP|
|15||Acorn||1 basket of tomatoes||3hr20m (5x40 min)||14||467.3||481.3||-635||-1.32|
|30||Willow||1 basket of apples||4hr40m (7x40 min)||25||1456.5||1481.5||-1,000||-0.67|
|45||Maple||1 basket of Oranges||5hr20m (8x40 min)||45||3403.4||3448.4||-19,766||-5.73|
|60||Yew||10 cactus spines||6hr40m (10x40 min)||81||7069.9||7150.9||-75,934||-10.62|
|75||Magic||25 coconuts||8hr00m (12x40 min)||145.5||13768.3||13913.8||-180,915||-13|
- Seed Cost, Protection cost and 200 coins for removal
|Level||Seed||Payment||Growth time||Experience||Total cost [F 1]||GP/XP|
|Plant||Check||Harvesting||Total||No harvest||Harvest||No harvest||Harvest|
|27||Apple||9 sweetcorns||16hr (6x160 min)||22||1199.5||51||1272.5||-1,906||-1,573||-1.56||-1.24|
|33||Banana||4 baskets of apples||16hr (6x160 min)||28||1750.5||63||1841.5||-1,822||-1,498||-1.02||-0.81|
|39||Orange||3 baskets of strawberries||16hr (6x160 min)||35.5||2470.2||81||2586.7||-3,178||-2,872||-1.27||-1.11|
|42||Curry||5 baskets of bananas||16hr (6x160 min)||40||2906.9||90||3036.9||-2,534||-2,294||-0.86||-0.76|
|51||Pineapple||10 watermelons||16hr (6x160 min)||57||4605.7||129||4791.7||-412||392||-0.09||0.08|
|57||Papaya||10 pineapples||16hr (6x160 min)||72||6146.4||162||6380.4||-3,779||79||-0.61||0.01|
|68||Palm tree||15 papaya fruit||16hr (6x160 min)||110.5||10150.1||249||10509.6||-41,107||-34,981||-4.01||-3.33|
|81||Dragonfruit||15 Coconut||16hr (6x160 min)||140||17335||350||17825||-194,216||-188,900||-11.11||-10.6|
- Seed Cost, Protection cost and 200 coins for removal, minus worth what's harvested
|Level||Seed||Payment||Growth time||Experience||Total cost [H 1]||GP/XP|
|35||Teak||15 Limpwurt roots||64hr (8x480 min)||35||7290||7325||-12,492||-1.71|
|55||Mahogany||25 Yanillian hops||85hr20m (8x640 min)||63||15720||15783||-26,172||-1.66|
- Seed Cost, Protection cost and 200 coins for removal
|Level||Seed||Payment||Growth time||Experience||Total cost [S 1]||GP/XP|
|72||Calquat||8 poison ivy berries||21hr20m (8x160 min)||129.5||12,096||291||12,516.5||-805||-0.06|
|74||Crystal acorn||N/A||8hr00m (6x80 min)||126||13,240||N/A||13,366||-300,323[S 2]||-22.47|
|85||Celastrus||8 Potato cactus||13h20m (5x160 min)||204||14,130||70.5[S 3]||14,404.5||-97,279||-6.75|
|90||Redwood||6 Dragonfruit||106h40m (10x640 min)||230||22,450||N/A||22,680||-36,079[S 4]||-1.59|
- Seed Cost, Protection cost and 200 coins for removal, minus the worth of what's harvested where applicable
- Crystal tree yields roughly 15 crystal shards when treated with ultracompost, which average roughly 10,107.5 per shard when used to make Divine super combat potions with 97 Herblore. Profit assumes you traded in a crystal weapon seed to the Pennant for a crystal acorn
- Yield increases depending on the type of compost used.
- Redwood trees cost 2000 coins to remove
Example tree runs[edit | edit source]
Start out at the Grand Exchange and buy all of the saplings, payments and teleports needed.
In the first run, the player will have to rake all of the patches. In subsequent runs, this is only necessary if a growth cycle happens in between removing the tree and planting a new one. It is recommended to leave a rake at a Tool Leprechaun in case this happens.
Example low-level tree run[edit | edit source]
This is an example setup for doing a tree run consisting of 5 trees, 4 fruit trees and 3 hardwood trees at level 35. This run does not include the Lletya fruit tree due to the quests required, nor the tree and fruit tree patches in the Farming Guild due to the Farming level requirements.
The route assumes the player pays the farmers to chop down the trees and to look after them.
Items needed[edit | edit source]
- Stamina potion
- 5 tree, 4 fruit tree, and 3 hardwood tree saplings
- Payments in banknotes
- Ring of wealth with at least 2 charges
- Alternatively, Falador teleport then run to Falador Park
- Alternatively, run from Varrock tree patch to Grand Exchange
- Teleports to Lumbridge, Varrock, and Catherby
- Teleport to house tablets and redirection scrolls for access to Taverley and Brimhaven house portals
- Alternatively, a teleport to Falador for the Taverley patch
- Alternatively, a teleport to Ardougne or Rimmington for the Brimhaven patch
- Digsite pendant or a Digsite teleport for hardwood trees
- Rake stored at a Tool Leprechaun
Doing the run[edit | edit source]
- Teleport to Falador Park with the ring of wealth. Check the health of the tree and replant it.
- Teleport to Taverley and run east (or run north from Falador) to the tree patch. Check the health of the tree and replant it.
- Teleport to Lumbridge, exit the city west through the Lumbridge Castle walls and run a bit north to the tree patch. Check the health of the tree and replant it.
- Teleport to Varrock, run a bit north and then north-east to the tree patch. Check the health of the tree and replant it.
- Teleport to the Grand Exchange with the ring of wealth (or run east then north-east), and take the spirit tree north-east to the Tree Gnome Village. Run to the south-west corner of the fence and squeeze through the entrance. Click on Elkoy to follow him through the maze, and run a bit south-west to the fruit tree patch. Check the health of the fruit tree and replant it.
- Talk to Elkoy again and follow him back through the maze, squeeze through the fence and take the spirit tree to Gnome Stronghold. Run slightly east to the fruit tree patch. Check the health of the fruit tree and replant it.
- Run south-west to the tree patch. Check the health of the tree and replant it.
- Teleport to Catherby and run east to the fruit tree patch near the fishing spots. Check the health of the fruit tree and replant it.
- Head to the Brimhaven fruit tree patch by using a house teleport to Brimhaven and running north. Alternatively, players can teleport to Karamja with a glory and run westward. Players may also teleport to Ardougne or Rimmington, pay-fare Barnaby to Brimhaven, and run a bit south. Check the health of the fruit tree and replant it.
- Teleport to the Digsite by using a digsite pendant or Digsite teleport. Run to the barge, quick-travel to Fossil Island and run to the hardwood tree patches slightly north. Check the healths of the hardwood trees and replant them.
- Teleport to the Farming Guild with a skills necklace (65 Farming required) and run to the room immediately west to the tree patch on the northern side of the room.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Herb runs[edit | edit source]
Growing herbs usually results in good profit and somewhat decent Farming experience if the player is growing high-level herbs like torstols. Some players choose to do this to compensate the cost of doing tree runs, or to make money in general. Herbs take 80 minutes to grow.
Players should always treat herb patches with ultracompost. This minimises the chance of disease and ensures the minimum amount of 6 herbs per seed when used along with magic secateurs.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- Farmer's outfit and Stamina potion or weight-reducing gear
- Ardougne cloak 4 (Ardougne cloak 2/Ardougne cloak 3 provide 3/5 daily teleports to the farming patch north of Ardougne)
- Explorer's ring 3/4 (Explorer's ring 2 provides 3 daily teleports to the farming patch south of Falador)
- Skills necklace
- Herb seeds
- Magic secateurs (Note: These must be equipped to provide their bonus)
- Seed dibber
- Ultracomposts, or runes for the Fertile Soil spell and volcanic ashes (after reading the ash covered tome)
- Runes for Catherby Teleport (or alternatively Camelot Teleport and walk East)
- Xeric's talisman (alternatively, Tithe Farm minigame teleport can be used)
- With the required quests:
GP/XP calculations[edit | edit source]
Tithe Farm[edit | edit source]
At level 34, experience may be gained at the Tithe Farm minigame with 100% Hosidius favour in Hosidius. In this way, players can gain significant Farming experience between the time it takes patches to grow, or train exclusively at the minigame in order to save money on seeds. From level 74 onwards, players can get around 90,000–100,000 experience per hour.
See also[edit | edit source]
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|