Gaining experience in the Farming skill begins with harvesting of allotments, hops, and herbs and later turns into crop running – checking on the health of trees and fruit trees. The fastest and most effective training in Farming requires the use of all the teleporting methods available to a player to farming patches across RuneScape. Additionally, the amulet of nature can be helpful while crop running as it will allow an aspiring farmer to keep tabs on farming patches. Lunar Magic is helpful for its Fishing Guild and Catherby teleports as well as its Cure Plant and Fertile Soil spells, all of which are available at 87 Magic after completion of the Lunar Diplomacy quest.
It is recommended that the player becomes familiar with the Farming skill and crop running pages.
It is also great to note that every player has their own methods of running to patches and training this skill. It is best for you to figure out the best path, the best seeds to plant, what you want to plant, what you can afford. Many players change their routine based on new transportation and items that come into the game. Focus on what works for you.
- 1 Helpful tips to remember
- 2 Recommended quests
- 3 Recommended items
- 4 Starting off
- 5 Levels 15–99: Tree runs
- 6 Herb runs
- 7 Tithe Farm
- 8 See also
Helpful tips to remember[edit | edit source]
- Add compost (regular, supercompost, or ultracompost) to any stage of the crop to increase the harvest yield and reduce the chance of the crop from becoming diseased and ultimately dying.
- Watering allotment, flower, or hop patches with a watering can will eliminate the chance of disease in one growth cycle.
- A full-grown flower will protect the appropriate growing allotment against all disease. If you are re-planting the same crop, you should leave the flowers in-place.
- Pay the farmer to look after your patches to avoid the crops dying from diseases. By going into the farming skill window, you are able to see what payments are needed.
- Note: Trees, fruit trees and calquats do not require compost if you are paying the farmer, since the crop yield is fixed.
- To Save inventory room:
- Use your harvest on the leprechauns to convert your whole inventory of similar crops into a note.
- Farmers looking after patches can take payment noted.
- Unlocking minigame teleports are useful, and are available every 20 minutes. Tithe Farm teleport for the Hosidius farming patch and the vinery. Nightmare Zone for hop patch in Yanille. Rat Pits (Port Sarim) to gain access to Great Kourend, Entrana (hop patch), and Falador farming patch, and Rimmington bush patch.
- Teleport to House (Yanille, Rimmington, Brimhaven). Yanille for hops, Rimmington for bush, Brimhaven for fruit tree and spirit tree.
- Stealing from the Fruit Stalls in Hosidius will help you gain payments such as apples, pineapples, bananas, and other fruits. This requires Hosidius favour and appropriate Thieving level to do so.
- If you forget about a farming patch, don't worry, as long as you took necessary precautions to prevent disease/death (paying the gardener or using compost), they will remain in patch until harvested.
Recommended quests[edit | edit source]
- Tree Gnome Village – Access to spirit trees for transportation.
- The Grand Tree – Access to Spirit tree in the Tree Gnome Stronghold (if you have completed the Tree Gnome Village quest) and access to the Gnome glider transportation system.
- Fairytale I - Growing Pains – Rewarded with Magic secateurs.
- Fairytale II - Cure a Queen – Access to Fairy ring network. (Only need to start the quest, you do not need any of the stats required)
- My Arm's Big Adventure – Access to disease-free herb patch near Trollheim.
- Making Friends with My Arm – Access to a disease-free herb patch in Weiss.
- Ghosts Ahoy – Rewarded with the Ectophial.
- Mourning's End Part I – Access to Lletya (fruit tree patch) and teleport crystals. (only need to start the quest for the crystal)
- Enlightened Journey – Access to Balloon Transportation. Access to Entrana for hop, Crafting Guild for bush, Taverley for tree, Gnome Stronghold for fruit tree and tree.
- Bone Voyage – Access to two Giant Seaweed patches in the underwater area of Fossil Island as well as three hardwood patches.
Note: It is possible to bypass the relatively slow early levels of Farming entirely by doing quests. Doing Recipe for Disaster (Goblin Generals) and Fairytale I - Growing Pains, then Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf followed by Garden of Tranquillity and lastly My Arm's Big Adventure will net the player 19.5k Farming experience (level 35) with no Farming training required before or between the quests.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Amulet of glory with charges – Teleports to Draynor Village for close access to the Falador farming patch.
- Amulet of bounty – Gives a 25% chance of saving seeds when planting in allotment patches only.
- Magic secateurs – Increases yield of allotments, hops, and herbs by 10%.
- Ectophial – Allows quick and free access to farming patches northwest of Port Phasmatys.
- Explorer's ring 2 and higher - Teleports straight to the Falador farming patch.
- Teleport crystal – Quick access to Lletya's fruit tree patch.
- Farmer's outfit – Gives a 2.5% exp boost for every farming action.
- Ardougne cloak 1+ – Cloak 1 and above gives unlimited teleports to Ardougne Monastery. Cloak 2–3 gives limited daily teleports to Ardougne farming patch, and cloak 4 gives unlimited teleports to both.
- Skills necklace – Teleports to the Farming Guild and the Fishing Guild to go to the Ardougne farming patch quicker.
- Chronicle book with teleport cards – Teleports you to the Champions' Guild for bush and hop patch.
- Xeric's talisman – "Xeric's Glade" option teleports you northeast of the farming patches in Hosidius.
Starting off[edit | edit source]
Levels 1–32: Questing[edit | edit source]
Early levels can be skipped by completing quests that give Farming experience. Completing the Goblin generals subquest of Recipe for Disaster, Fairytale I - Growing Pains, Forgettable Tale..., Garden of Tranquillity and Enlightened Journey grants a total of 17,500 experience, which will get the player up to level 32. This skips much of the tedium of low-level Farming and allows the player to do effective farm runs straight away.
Levels 1–13: Making sulphurous fertiliser[edit | edit source]
Sulphurous fertilisers can be made when the player has 5% Hosidius favour, each granting 2 experience in Farming. Gaining 100% favour from 5.0% requires 950 to be made and handed in if choosing to use this method for gaining favour. A player that starts at level 1 Farming will get 13 Farming by creating these 950 sulphurous fertilisers.
Levels 1–15: Bagged plants[edit | edit source]
The quickest way to plant them, assuming that your house is in Rimmington, is to bring three watering cans, a stack of coins, and as many noted bagged plants as you can afford. You can hand your notes to Phials to un-note them (for a small fee) and refill your watering cans in the building just east of the well.
To make the process even faster, spam the 1 button while planting and removing the bagged plants. This will select the bagged plant and confirm the removal, allowing you to plant and remove plants very quickly.
Levels 1–15: Farming allotments[edit | edit source]
Levels 15–99: Tree runs[edit | edit source]
The best way to gain Farming experience is to plant the highest-tier tree, fruit tree and hardwood tree saplings available, along with calquat, celastrus, redwood saplings and crystal saplings. After the trees have grown, the player checks the health of a fully grown tree for Farming experience, pays the farmer to chop down the tree and replants the tree.
Tree runs are a passive training method and they offer the fastest experience effectively by far. For example, if it took the player 5 minutes to do a tree run and the player gained 100,000 Farming experience from the run, the experience rate would effectively be 1,200,000 experience per hour (12 runs per one actively spent hour). Players would only spend 5 minutes to do the run and then do something else while the trees grow, such as train other skills.
Even though it is possible to only do 1 or 2 tree runs per day, doing tree runs over time ends up being much faster than doing methods that offer faster experience in real time, such as farming allotments. In other words, no matter how often you can play, tree runs should be the first priority for Farming training; active training methods should only be done if Farming is your last skill to level 99. Getting level 99 should take around 3–4 months at most if the player does tree runs fairly consistently.
General information and tips[edit | edit source]
Players should always pay the farmer to chop down the trees for replanting, as this is much faster than chopping the tree yourself and it only costs a small amount of money. Celastrus and crystal trees are exceptions to this, as their harvest is usually valuable enough to be worth spending extra time to gather the harvest.
Generally it is best to pay the farmer to look after the tree, so it cannot die and players are guaranteed to get the Farming experience from checking the health of the tree. Certain payments can be very expensive however, so it may be worthwhile to treat the patch with ultracompost instead to minimise the chance of disease. This can save some money depending on the tree and payment, however it is slightly slower overall as sometimes the tree will die and players would have spent time for no experience gained. The tree patch in Falador Park will never get diseased after completion of the elite tasks in the Falador Diary.
It is best to buy the saplings from the Grand Exchange as this saves time, but it can be worthwhile to grow the saplings yourself to save some money. Saplings are made by using a tree seed on a filled plant pot while having a gardening trowel in your inventory, using a watering can on the seedlings to water them and then waiting for them to grow into saplings. Saplings grow while stored in bank, so players do not have to have them in their inventory. Players who have level 68 Magic and have completed Dream Mentor can use Humidify spell to water the seedlings faster.
Farming regular trees is usually much more expensive compared to other options. Players who are not in a rush to level up Farming are advised to only farm fruit trees, hardwood trees and special trees for cheaper experience. Depending on the prices, it may also be worthwhile to farm palm trees instead of dragonfruit trees at higher levels, as growing dragonfruit trees costs 11.7 per experience and palm trees would only cost 4.89 per experience, including the protection payments.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- 6 tree / 6 fruit tree / 3 hardwood / 1 calquat / 1 celastrus / 1 redwood / 1 crystal saplings
- Payments in bank notes (optional)
- If not paying the farmer, ultracompost or runes for Fertile Soil spell and volcanic ashes (after reading the ash covered tome)
- Teleport tabs or runes for Taverley house or Falador teleport, Brimhaven house or Ardougne teleport, Catherby house or Camelot teleport, Lumbridge teleport and Varrock teleport.
- Teleport crystal (for the fruit tree patch in Lletya - received soon after starting Mourning's End Part I)
- Digsite pendant (for the hardwood tree patch in Fossil Island)
- Slayer ring (optional for Gnome Stronghold tree patch)
- Tai bwo wannai teleport scroll (7,977) (optional for the calquat patch)
- Stamina potion
- Farmer's outfit or graceful outfit (optional)
For hardwood trees, if protection payment is skipped and supercompost (547) or ultracompost (850) is used instead, growing teaks ( 35 Farming) cost 0.12 or 0.18 coins per experience respectively, while mahogany trees ( 55 Farming) cost 0.27 or 0.3 coins per experience respectively.
For specialty trees, growing calquat tree ( 72 Farming) costs 0.08 coins per experience, requiring payment of 8 poison ivy berries.
|15||Acorn||1 basket of tomatoes||3hr20m (5x40 min)||14||467.3||481.3||68||470||200||738||-1.53|
|30||Willow||1 basket of apples||4hr40m (7x40 min)||25||1456.5||1481.5||2,352||549||200||3,101||-2.09|
|45||Maple||1 basket of Oranges||5hr20m (8x40 min)||45||3403.4||3448.4||21,548||507||200||22,255||-6.45|
|60||Yew||10 cactus spines||6hr40m (10x40 min)||81||7069.9||7150.9||48,996||14,100||200||63,296||-8.85|
|75||Magic||25 coconuts||8hr00m (12x40 min)||145.5||13768.3||13913.8||111,708||59,675||200||171,583||-12.33|
|27||Apple||9 sweetcorns||16hr (6x160 min)||22||1199.5||51||1272.5||4||1,566||200||1,770||-1.39|
|33||Banana||4 baskets of apples||16hr (6x160 min)||28||1750.5||63||1841.5||5||2,196||200||2,401||-1.3|
|39||Orange||3 baskets of strawberries||16hr (6x160 min)||35.5||2470.2||81||2586.7||6||4,329||200||4,535||-1.75|
|42||Curry||5 baskets of bananas||16hr (6x160 min)||40||2906.9||90||3036.9||6||4,350||200||4,556||-1.5|
|51||Pineapple||10 watermelons||16hr (6x160 min)||57||4605.7||129||4791.7||209||220||200||629||-0.13|
|57||Papaya||10 pineapples||16hr (6x160 min)||72||6146.4||162||6380.4||4,682||1,420||200||6,302||-0.99|
|68||Palm tree||15 papaya fruit||16hr (6x160 min)||110.5||10150.1||249||10509.6||41,905||8,190||200||50,295||-4.79|
|81||Dragonfruit||15 Coconut||16hr (6x160 min)||140||17335||350||17825||172,633||35,805||200||208,638||-11.7|
|35||Teak||15 Limpwurt roots||64hr (8x480 min)||35||7290||7325||35||13,020||200||13,255||-1.81|
|55||Mahogany||25 Yanillian hops||85hr20m (8x640 min)||63||15720||15783||2,715||24,925||200||27,840||-1.76|
|72||Calquat||8 poison ivy berries||21hr20m (8x160 min)||129.5||12,096||291||12,516.5||141||544||200||885||-0.07|
|74||Crystal acorn||N/A||8hr00m (6x80 min)||126||13,240||N/A||13,366||191,089||N/A||N/A||191,089||-14.3|
|85||Celastrus||8 Potato cactus||13h20m (5x160 min)||204||14,130||70.5||14,404.5||91,958||6,224||200||98,382||-6.83|
|90||Redwood||6 Dragonfruit||106h40m (10x640 min)||230||22,450||N/A||22,680||31,882||3,852||2,000||37,734||-1.66|
Example Tree Run[edit | edit source]
This is an example tree run with low-medium tier gear, quest completions, and levels. Please note that this is just an example of a tree run, and there may be more efficient/cheaper routes (additionally, this run does not include the Lletya fruit tree due to the quests required, this run also does not include the tree and fruit tree patches in the farming guild due to the high farming levels required).
Items/Quests Required: (All tools can be stored with the Tool Leprechaun next to each tree patch.)
- 5/9/12 Plant pots (Plant pot pack are sold by all farming shops with Catherby store closest to bank) or purchase tree saplings directly from the Grand Exchange.
- Gardening trowel (only needed if planting seeds yourself, can be banked after use)
- Watering can (only needed if planting seeds yourself, can be banked after use)
- 5 Tree seeds and noted farmer payment ( 15+ farming)
- 4 (or 5 if you own a teleport crystal) Fruit tree seeds and noted farmer payment ( 27+ farming)
- 3 Hardwood tree seeds and noted farmer payment (After Bone Voyage & 35+ farming)
- Either Teleportation tablets or runes for teleportation
- 2,280gp for tree removal/charter payments (or 2,240gp if you have the ring of charos(a))
- Rake (only needed for the first run)
Item, Quest, and Level Recommendations:
- Elemental staff or battlestaff to make teleportation easier, and also save on inventory space (dust battlestaff recommended due to runes provided and cost)
- Completion of the Tree Gnome Village and The Grand Tree quest for access to spirit trees.
- 40 Construction to move your House to Brimhaven
- 40 Magic to cast all of the relevant Teleportation spells ( 51 if you don't have the Ardougne cloak 1 and do not want to move your house to Brimhaven. Requires Plague city quest completion for both the Ardougne teleport or cloak)
- Bone Voyage to travel to Fossil Island for hardwood tree patches. (Requires 100 kudos, 78 from Natural history quiz and cleaning findings after The Dig Site quest, 5 each from quests such as Rune Mysteries, Priest in Peril, Hazeel Cult, Merlin's Crystal, Demon Slayer, Observatory Quest, The Grand Tree etc.)
- Graceful outfit (pieces or entire set) or other Weight-reducing clothing
- Ring of charos(a) (requires Creature of Fenkenstrain quest completion and Garden of Tranquillity quest started)
Doing the Run:
- In your first run, you will have to rake all of the patches. In subsequent runs, this is only necessary if a growth cycle happens in between removing the tree and planting the new one or while you are filling your plant pots. You should still leave a rake with the Tool Leprechaun just in case.
- Start out at the Grand Exchange and buy all of the seeds and payments relevant to your farming level.
- If planting your seeds yourself: Withdraw 1 watering can, 1 gardening trowel and plant pots from your bank. Run directly east out of the GE and head south inside the castle walls, there will be a fountain that you can use to fill up your watering can. Use your seeds with the plant pot, then use the watering can on them. You may need to refill your watering can in the courtyard nearby if you run out of water. Wait about 5 minutes for the seedlings to turn into saplings, the seedling will continue to grow while stored inside your bank.
- Run south and east around the castle to tree patch. Check the health of the tree, then pay the farmer 200 coins to remove the tree (if necessary).
- Run back into the GE area, go to the northeast corner and take the spirit tree to teleport to the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Run east to the fruit tree patch (very close by). Then run southwest to the tree patch.
- Run back northeast to the Spirit tree and teleport to the Tree Gnome Village (location). Run to the southwest corner of the fence and squeeze through the entrance. Click on Elkoy to follow him through the maze. Then run southwest to the fruit tree patch.
- Teleport or canoe to Lumbridge, run west (through the castle) out of the castle walls, then north to the tree patch.
- Right-click teleport outside of your house to Brimhaven, then run north to the fruit tree patch. You may have to run away from monsters depending on your combat level or if the monsters aggro you.
- (If you do not want to move your house to Brimhaven, you may also teleport to Ardougne and pay 30 coins to ferry to Brimhaven or charter ship from other docks. *player owned houses start in Rimmington, which also is connected to the very same route to Ardougne/Brimhaven, so players can still use the Teleport Home spell to quickly get to Brimhaven without needing to move their home from its starting location.)
- Run north to the docks, then run to the western side of docks, and take a Charter ship to Catherby (costs 480 coins, or 240 with the ring of charos(a)). (You can also teleport to Camelot and run southeast to Catherby) Run east to the fruit tree patch.
- Teleport to Falador, run east along the garden fence, then into the garden to the tree patch.
- From the Falador garden, run west, then north out of Falador, up to the Taverley gate, west through the gate, then south to the tree patch.
- If you own a teleport crystal (received soon after starting Mourning's End Part I) you may use it to teleport to Lletya, where there is a fruit tree patch in close proximity. Remember to visit Eluned before leaving if your crystal is out of charges - she will recharge it for 750-150 coins).
- After Bone Voyage, you may also teleport to fossil island with digsite pendant to plant teak seeds or mahogany seeds.
- Tree run complete!
Herb runs[edit | edit source]
Growing herbs usually results in good profit and decent Farming experience if the player is growing high-level herbs like torstols. Some players choose to do this to compensate the cost of doing tree runs, or to make money in general. Herbs take 80 minutes to grow.
Since you cannot pay the farmer to look after your herbs, always treat the patches with ultracompost to minimise the chance of disease and to ensure the minimum amount of 6 herbs per seed when used along with magic secateurs.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- Farmer's outfit and Stamina potion or weight-reducing gear
- Ardougne cloak 4 (Ardougne cloak 2/Ardougne cloak 3 provide 3 daily teleports to the farming patch north of Ardougne)
- Explorer's ring 3/4 (Explorer's ring 2 provides 3 daily teleports to the farming patch south of Falador)
- Skills necklace
- Herb seeds
- Magic secateurs (Note: These must be equipped to provide their bonus)
- Seed dibber
- Ultracomposts, or runes for the Fertile Soil spell and volcanic ashes (after reading the ash covered tome)
- Runes for Catherby Teleport (or alternatively Camelot Teleport and walk East)
- Xeric's talisman (alternatively, Tithe Farm minigame teleport can be used)
- With the required quests:
GP/XP calculations[edit | edit source]
Tithe Farm[edit | edit source]
At level 34, experience may be gained at the Tithe Farm minigame with 100% Hosidius favour in Hosidius. In this way, players can gain significant Farming experience between the time it takes patches to grow, or train exclusively at the minigame in order to save money on seeds. From level 74 onwards, players can get around 90,000–100,000 experience per hour.
See also[edit | edit source]
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|