Gaining experience in the Farming skill begins with harvesting of allotments, hops, and herbs and later turns into crop running – checking on the health of trees and fruit trees. The fastest and most effective training in Farming requires the use of all the teleporting methods available to a player to farming patches across RuneScape. Additionally, the amulet of nature can be helpful while crop running as it will allow an aspiring farmer to keep tabs on farming patches. Lunar Magic is helpful for its Fishing Guild and Catherby teleports as well as its Cure Plant and Fertile Soil spells, all of which are available at 87 Magic after completion of the Lunar Diplomacy quest.
It is recommended that the player becomes familiar with the Farming skill and crop running pages.
It is also great to note that every player has their own methods of running to patches and training this skill. It is best for you to figure out the best path, the best seeds to plant, what you want to plant, what you can afford. Many players change their routine based on new transportation and items that come into the game. Focus on what works for you.
Helpful tips to remember[edit | edit source]
- Add compost (regular, supercompost, or ultracompost) to any stage of the crop to increase the harvest yield and reduce the chance of the crop from becoming diseased and ultimately dying.
- Watering allotment, flower, or hop patches with a watering can will eliminate the chance of disease in one growth cycle.
- A full-grown flower will protect the appropriate growing allotment against all disease. If you are re-planting the same crop, you should leave the flowers in-place.
- Pay the farmer to look after your patches to avoid the crops dying from diseases. By going into the farming skill window, you are able to see what the payments are needed.
- NOTE: Trees, fruit trees and calquats do not require compost if you are paying the farmer, since the crop yield is fixed.
- To Save inventory room:
- Use your harvest on the leprechauns to convert your whole inventory of similar crops into a note.
- Farmers looking after patches can take payment noted.
- Unlocking minigame teleports are useful, and are available every 20 minutes. Tithe Farm teleport for the Hosidius farming patch and the vinery. Nightmare Zone for hop patch in Yanille. Rat Pits (Port Sarim) to gain access to Great Kourend, Entrana (hop patch), and Falador farming patch, and Rimmington bush patch.
- Teleport to House (Yanille, Rimmington, Brimhaven). Yanille for hops, Rimmington for bush, Brimhaven for fruit tree and spirit tree.
- Stealing from the Fruit Stalls in Hosidius will help you gain payments such as apples, pineapples, bananas, and other fruits. This requires Hosidius favour and appropriate Thieving level to do so.
- If you forget about a farming patch, don't worry, as long as you either took necessary precautions to prevent disease/death (paying gardener, using ultracompost), they will remain in patch until harvested.
Recommended quests[edit | edit source]
- Tree Gnome Village – Access to spirit trees for transportation.
- The Grand Tree – Access to Spirit tree in the Tree Gnome Stronghold (if you have completed the Tree Gnome Village quest) and access to the Gnome glider transportation system.
- Fairytale I - Growing Pains – Rewarded with Magic secateurs.
- Fairytale II - Cure a Queen – Access to Fairy ring network. (Only need to start the quest, you do not need any of the stats required)
- My Arm's Big Adventure – Access to disease-free herb patch near Trollheim.
- Making Friends with My Arm – Access to a disease-free herb patch in Weiss.
- Ghosts Ahoy – Rewarded with the Ectophial.
- Mourning's End Part I – Access to Lletya (fruit tree patch) and teleport crystals. (only need to start the quest for the crystal)
- Enlightened Journey – Access to Balloon Transportation. Access to Entrana for hop, Crafting Guild for bush, Taverley for tree, Gnome Stronghold for fruit tree and tree.
- Bone Voyage – Access to two Giant Seaweed patches in the underwater area of Fossil Island as well as three hardwood patches.
Note: It is possible to bypass the relatively slow early levels of Farming entirely by doing quests. Doing Recipe for Disaster (Goblin Generals) and Fairytale I - Growing Pains, then Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf followed by Garden of Tranquillity and lastly My Arm's Big Adventure will net the player 19.5k Farming experience (level 35) with no Farming training required before or between the quests.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
- Amulet of glory with charges – Teleports to Draynor Village for close access to the Falador farming patch.
- Amulet of bounty – Gives a 25% chance of saving seeds when planting in allotment patches only.
- Magic secateurs – Increases yield of allotments, hops, and herbs by 10%.
- Ectophial – Allows quick and free access to farming patches northwest of Port Phasmatys.
- Explorer's ring 2 and higher - Teleports straight to the Falador farming patch.
- Teleport crystal – Quick access to Lletya's fruit tree patch.
- Farmer's outfit – Gives a 2.5% exp boost for every farming action.
- Ardougne cloak 1+ – Cloak 1 and above gives unlimited teleports to Ardougne Monastery. Cloak 2–3 gives limited daily teleports to Ardougne farming patch, and cloak 4 gives unlimited teleports to both.
- Skills necklace – Teleports to the Farming Guild and the Fishing Guild to go to the Ardougne farming patch quicker.
- Chronicle book with teleport cards – Teleports you to the Champions' Guild for bush and hop patch.
- Xeric's talisman – "Xeric's Glade" option teleports you northeast of the farming patches in Hosidius.
Starting off[edit | edit source]
It is highly recommended to bypass the early Farming levels by questing. Recipe for Disaster (Goblin Generals), Fairytale I - Growing Pains then Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf, Garden of Tranquillity, My Arm's Big Adventure, Enlightened Journey. This will bring the player to level 35, as well as getting the Magic secateurs, which are recommended for farming herbs and allotments. If questing is not an option, you can farm through the lower levels, but they are rather slow and tedious, with very low returns.
Sulphurous fertilisers can be made when the player has 5% Hosidius favour, each granting 2 experience in Farming. Gaining 100% favour from 5.0% requires 950 to be made and handed in if choosing to use this method for gaining favour. A player that starts at level 1 Farming will get 13 Farming by creating these 950 sulphurous fertilisers.
Bagged Plants[edit | edit source]
The quickest way to plant them, assuming that your house is in Rimmington, is to bring three watering cans, a stack of coins, and as many noted bagged plants as you can afford. You can hand your notes to Phials to un-note them (for a small fee) and refill your watering cans in the building just east of the well.
To make the process even faster, mash the 1 button while planting and removing the bagged plants. This will select the bagged plant and confirm the removal, allowing you to plant and remove plants very quickly.
Tree runs[edit | edit source]
The most efficient way to gain Farming experience is to plant the highest-tier tree and fruit tree saplings the player is able to, along with calquat saplings and teak or mahogany saplings, and pay the farmer to chop down the trees for replanting. This method can be very costly; however, it offers by far the highest possible experience rates effectively even though it is only possible to do 1 or 2 tree runs per day. In other words, no matter how often you can play, tree runs should be your first priority for farming training.
Always use ultracompost on the patch to minimise the chance of disease, or pay the farmer to look after the tree. The tree patch in Falador Park will never get diseased after completion of elite tasks in the Falador Diary.
If the player has access to the Humidify spell on the Lunar spellbook (requires completion of Dream Mentor and 68 Magic), it can be worthwhile to grow the saplings yourself instead of buying the saplings from the Grand Exchange.
Currently growing magic trees costs 14.6 GP per experience and palm trees 6.29 GP per experience, including the protection payments.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- Farmer's outfit or graceful outfit
- 5 tree and 5 fruit tree saplings, and 1 calquat sapling
- If not paying the farmer, 11 ultracompost or runes for Fertile Soil spell and volcanic ashes (after reading the ash covered tome)
- Payments in bank notes (optional)
- Axe (to chop down trees)
- Taverley, Brimhaven, Lumbridge, and Varrock teleports
- Tai Bwo Wannai teleport scroll (for the calquat patch)
- Runes for Catherby Teleport (requires 87 Magic)
- Teleport crystal (for the fruit tree patch in Lletya)
- Slayer ring
- Stamina potion
For specialty trees, growing teak trees (35 Farming) costs 0.11 coins per experience while mahogany trees (55 Farming) costs 0.37 coins per experience, both when payment is skipped and supercompost is used instead. Growing calquat trees (72 Farming) costs 0.09 coins per experience, requiring payment of 8 poison ivy berries.
|Farming Level||Seed||Payment||Growth Time||Experience||Costs||GP/XP|
|15||Acorn||1 basket of tomatoes||3hr20m (5x40 min)||14||467.3||481.3||33||533||200||766||-1.45|
|30||Willow||1 basket of apples||4hr40m (7x40 min)||25||1456.5||1481.5||3,862||777||200||4,839||1.95|
|45||Maple||1 basket of Oranges||5hr20m (8x40 min)||45||3403.4||3448.4||30,553||912||200||31,665||8.54|
|60||Yew||10 cactus spines||6hr40m (10x40 min)||81||7069.9||7150.9||70,746||13,330||200||84,276||8|
|75||Magic||25 coconuts||8hr00m (12x40 min)||145.5||13768.3||13913.8||145,892||54,650||200||200,742||6.54|
|Farming Level||Seed||Payment||Growth Time||Experience||Costs||GP/XP|
|27||Apple||9 sweetcorns||16hr (6x160 min)||22||1199.5||51||1272.5||6||1,197||200||1,403||-1.09|
|33||Banana||4 baskets of apples||16hr (6x160 min)||28||1750.5||63||1841.5||3||3,108||200||3,311||-1.79|
|39||Orange||3 baskets of strawberries||16hr (6x160 min)||35.5||2470.2||81||2586.7||3||2,223||200||2,426||-0.94|
|42||Curry||5 baskets of bananas||16hr (6x160 min)||40||2906.9||90||3036.9||44||2,905||200||3,149||-1.01|
|51||Pineapple||10 watermelons||16hr (6x160 min)||57||4605.7||129||4791.7||216||120||200||536||-0.02|
|57||Papaya||10 pineapples||16hr (6x160 min)||72||6146.4||162||6380.4||3,202||2,600||200||6,002||0.06|
|68||Palm tree||15 papaya fruit||16hr (6x160 min)||110.5||10150.1||249||10509.6||55,035||9,645||200||64,880||4.3|
|81||Dragonfruit||15 Coconut||16hr (6x160 min)||140||17335||350||17825||186,589||32,790||200||196,434||-11.02|
|Farming Level||Seed||Payment||Growth Time||Experience||Costs||GP/XP|
|72||Calquat tree seed||8 poison ivy berries||21hr20m (8x160 min)||129.5||12,096||291||12,516.5||104||688||200||992||-0.08|
|74||Crystal tree||N/A||8hr00m (6x80 min)||126||13,240||N/A||13,366||76,773||N/A||N/A||76,773||-5.74|
|85||Celastrus seed||8 Potato cactus||13h20m (5x160 min)||204||14,130||70.5||14,404.5||88,668||6,144||200||95,012||-6.6|
Example Tree Run[edit | edit source]
This is an example tree run with low-medium tier gear, quest completions, and levels. Please note that this is just an example of a tree run, and there may be more efficient/cheaper routes (additionally, this run does not include the Lletya fruit tree due to the quests required).
Items/Quests Required: (All tools can be stored with the Tool Leprechaun next to each tree patch.)
- 9 Empty plant pots (if filling pots manually, otherwise purchase tree saplings)
- Gardening trowel (only needed if planting seeds yourself)
- Watering can (only needed if planting seeds yourself)
- Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Law runes, or Teleportation tablets.
- 5 Tree seeds and noted farmer payment
- 4 Fruit tree seeds and noted farmer payment
- 2280gp for tree removal/charter payments (2040gp if you have the Ring of charos(a))
- Completion of the Tree Gnome Village quest for access to some Spirit trees
Item, Quest, and Level Recommendations:
- Elemental staff or battlestaff to make teleportation easier, and also save on inventory space (Dust battlestaff recommended due to runes provided and cost)
- Graceful outfit (pieces or entire set) or other Weight-reducing clothing
- Ring of charos(a) (requires Creature of Fenkenstrain quest completion and Garden of Tranquillity quest started)
- Level 40 Magic to cast all of the relevant Teleportation spells (Level 51 if you don't have the Ardougne cloak)
- Level 40 Construction to move your House to Brimhaven
Doing the Run:
- In your first run, you will have to rake all of the patches. In subsequent runs, this is only necessary if a growth cycle happens in between removing the tree and planting the new one or while you are filling your plant pots. You should still bring a rake (or leave one with the Tool Leprechaun), just in case.
- Start out at the Grand Exchange, and buy all of the seeds and payments relevant to your farming level. Run directly east out of the GE and head south inside the castle walls. There will be a fountain that you can use to fill up your watering can. Run south and east around the castle to tree patch. Check the health of the tree, then pay the farmer 200gp to remove the tree (if necessary). If planting your seeds yourself: Fill your plant pots by using them on the tree patch (you will have to do this 1 pot at a time). Once all of your plant pots are filled, use your seeds on them, then use the watering can on them. You may need to refill your watering can in the courtyard nearby if you run out of water. Wait about 5 minutes for the seedlings to turn into saplings, then plant one in the tree patch. Pay the farmer the payment to watch over it.
- Run back into the GE area, go to the northeast corner and take the Spirit Tree to teleport to the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Run east to the fruit tree patch (very close by). Then run southwest to the tree patch.
- Run back northeast to the Spirit Tree and teleport to the Tree Gnome Village (location). Run to the southwest corner of the fence and squeeze through the entrance. Click on Elkoy to follow him through the maze. Then run southwest to the fruit tree patch.
- Right-click teleport outside of your house (to Brimhaven), then run north to the fruit tree patch. You may have to run away from monsters depending on your combat level or if the monsters aggro you.
- Run north to the docks, then run to the western side of docks, and take a Charter ship to Catherby (costs 480gp, or 240gp if you have the Ring of charos(a)). (You can also teleport to Camelot and run southeast to Catherby) Run east to the fruit tree patch.
- Teleport to Falador, run east along the garden fence, then into the garden to the tree patch.
- From the Falador garden, run west, then north out of Falador, up to the Taverley gate, west through the gate, then south to the tree patch.
- Teleport to Lumbridge, run west (through the castle) out of the castle walls, then north to the tree patch.
- Tree run complete!
Herb runs[edit | edit source]
Growing herbs usually results in good profit and decent Farming experience if the player is growing high-level herbs like torstols. Some players choose to do this to compensate the cost of doing tree runs, or to make money in general. Herbs take 80 minutes to grow.
Since you cannot pay the farmer to look after your herbs, always treat the patches with ultracompost to minimise the chance of disease and to ensure the minimum amount of 6 herbs per seed when used along with magic secateurs.
Setup[edit | edit source]
- Farmer's outfit and Stamina potion or weight-reducing gear
- Ardougne cloak 4 (Ardougne cloak 2/Ardougne cloak 3 provide 3 daily teleports to the farming patch north of Ardougne)
- Explorer's ring 3/4 (Explorer's ring 2 provides 3 daily teleports to the farming patch south of Falador)
- Skills Necklace
- Herb seeds
- Magic secateurs (Note: These must be equipped to provide their bonus)
- Seed dibber
- Ultracomposts, or runes for the Fertile Soil spell and volcanic ashes (after reading the ash covered tome)
- Runes for Catherby Teleport (or alternatively Camelot Teleport and walk East)
- Xeric's talisman (alternatively, Tithe Farm minigame teleport can be used)
- With the required quests:
GP/XP calculations[edit | edit source]
Tithe Farm[edit | edit source]
At level 34, experience may be gained at the Tithe Farm minigame with 100% Hosidius favour in Hosidius. In this way, players can gain significant Farming experience between the time it takes patches to grow, or train exclusively at the minigame in order to save money on seeds. From level 74 onwards, players can get around 90,000–100,000 experience per hour.
See also[edit | edit source]