Lighting[edit | edit source]
To light logs, players just need to use a tinderbox with logs, which can be in their inventory or lying on the ground. If the player uses a Gnomish firelighter with the logs before lighting it, they can make coloured flames, which will be the same colour as the firelighter used. This grants Firemaking experience depending on the type of log used. A fire can be lit almost anywhere, including indoors in some buildings, but not on top of another fire, when standing on objects such as ferns or flowers, or in front of a closed door (but can be lit in front of an open door).
A log can also be lit by most bows after finishing the Firemaking section of Barbarian Training.
After lighting a fire, players automatically walk one step to the west. If the way is blocked, they will instead take one step east; if north and east are both blocked, south; if north, south, and east are all blocked, north.
If players light one fire and have a clear path to the west for more fires, they can immediately light the next fire by using a tinderbox with the logs just after they finished lighting the first log. This way the fire will start burning before the player even attempts to light it. This is a much faster way to burn logs than burning each one separately. This method of burning logs is called power firemaking.
If multiple players attempt to light a fire at the same spot, only one player would have their fire lit and the other players' logs would be dropped on the same spot.
Permanent fires[edit | edit source]
There are several permanent fires which never burn down to ashes. These can be found in the following locations:
Free-to-play[edit | edit source]
- Edgeville Dungeon, by the hobgoblins, near the brass key spawn
- Barbarian Village, near the fishing spot to the east
- In the centre of Goblin Village
- Peksa's Helmet Shop, Barbarian Village
- The Dwarven Mine, just north of Hura, west of the Dwarven Mine anvil
- The cooking pot in the farm, south of the Champions' Guild
- East of the Myths' Guild, next to the Spirit tree and Lord Marshal Brogan
Members[edit | edit source]
- Rogues' Den - this is the closest fire to a bank
- Tai Bwo Wannai, just south of the village
- Wilderness Resource Area
- The camp of Moss giants, north east of Ardougne
- Through the door in the south-eastern corner of the H.A.M. Hideout
- On a mound with Ogres, north-west of Yanille
- Port Khazard, just south of the bank chest
- Tirannwn, Lord Iorwerth's elf camp
Fire pits[edit | edit source]
After completing Making Friends with My Arm, players gain access to the salt mines below Weiss. The mines contain four rocks, including: efh salt, te salt, urt salt and basalt. These salts can be used in player-made fire pits around RuneScape. These braziers impart permanent effects on their respective locations.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Examining a fire produces the message "Hot!"
- In RuneScape Classic a player could only light logs if they were on the ground.