|Fishing Contest (#26)|
|Released||28 May 2002 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||Paul Gower|
Fishing Contest is a quest in which the player has to earn the friendship of two dwarven brothers by securing a fishing trophy for them. Afterwards, they allow the player to use the dwarven passage underneath the mountain.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Dwarves at the entrances to the tunnel that goes under White Wolf Mountain. Show on map|
|Description||The mountain Dwarves' home would be an ideal way to get across White Wolf Mountain safely. However, the Dwarves aren't too fond of strangers. They will let you through if you can bring them a trophy. The trophy is the prize for the annual Hemenster fishing competition.|
|Official length||Very Short|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Dwarves can't fish![edit | edit source]
To start this quest, go to either of the quest start points adjacent to White Wolf Mountain, as shown in the picture. The western quest start point is closer to the next part of the quest, so it is recommended. Attempt to walk down the stairs in the building and a nearby dwarf will block you from doing so, saying that the tunnel is only for the use of the Mountain Dwarves. (Alternatively, talk to the dwarf and ask about what is down the stairs.)
Ask the dwarf if you could become friends ("If you were my friend I wouldn't mind it" ..."And how am I meant to do that?"). The dwarf will say that he wants you to win the fishing contest in the western town of Hemenster, since the reward for the contest is a coveted gold trophy and dwarves aren't known to be good at angling.
Help from the champion[edit | edit source]
- Stop at Seers' Village and pick up a piece of garlic in the house south-west of the bank. It respawns on a table and it will be needed.
- Start heading west toward the north end of McGrubor's Woods. Enter McGrubor's Woods by squeezing through the railing on the northern side, since the southern gate is locked. Once inside, beware of aggressive level 44 guard dogs.
- Just west of the fairy ring, you will find a red vine. Check the red vine and collect at least 2 red vine worms just in case you forget to stash the garlic in the pipe.
Winning the trophy[edit | edit source]
- (This section can be skipped if you already have a fishing rod.) Go talk to Grandpa Jack, who lives in the house nearby on the north side of Hemenster to buy a fishing rod for 5 coins.
Once there show Morris your fishing pass and he will let you in.
Put the garlic into the pipes on the south wall of the north building by the Sinister Stranger. Garlic can be found in the house with a quest symbol and cooking range symbol in the centre of Seers' Village. Pay Bonzo the contest fee to start the contest (5 coins). The Sinister Stranger will complain about a horrible smell and you will change places with him.
After winning the contest and obtaining your trophy, head back to the quest starting point on either side of the mountain and give the dwarf your trophy.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest point
- 2,437 Fishing experience
- Access to the underground White Wolf Mountain passage
- Ability to catch minnows in the Fishing Guild with 82 Fishing and a full Angler's outfit
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of Fishing Contest is required for the following:
- Recipe for Disaster - Freeing the Mountain Dwarf
- Forgettable Tale...
- Between a Rock...
- Land of the Goblins
Transcript[edit | edit source]
|Locations and scenery|