- The official world for Fishing Trawler is world 370 (P2P).
|Released||28 July 2003 (Update)|
( 15 Fishing to catch fish)
|Music||Trawler Minor, Trawler|
Fishing Trawler is a Fishing minigame run by Murphy that players can play at Port Khazard. Players need a minimum of level 15 Fishing to catch fish, but can board the ship otherwise at any level. Players board a trawler boat and work as a team to prevent the boat from sinking as they are sailed for 10 minutes around the sea. It can be overwhelming for a single player, so it is recommended to bring friends, a clan, or other experienced fishers.
The minigame is required to complete a task in the easy and elite versions of the Ardougne Diary.
Travel[edit | edit source]
- Using the teleport option located in the Minigame Group Finder, requiring level 15 Fishing.
- Both Ardougne and Watchtower teleport spells will get you relatively close to Port Khazard.
The Ardougne cloak 1 or higher will teleport even closer, at the Ardougne Monastery
- Fairy ring code DJP is just north of Port Khazard.
- The Charter ship has a stop in Port Khazard.
- Using the Khazard Teleport on the Lunar spellbook.
Playing the game[edit | edit source]
To begin, board the large ship directly north of Murphy and you'll be given a countdown.
Players will need to repair leaks in the sides of the boat with swamp paste and the fishing nets with rope when they get torn. It is recommended that each player brings about 300 swamp paste, some rope, and at least one bailing bucket. Perfect runs can be completed with a minimum of 26 swamp paste. Larger teams will experience far more leaks and torn nets than smaller teams, although it can be very advantageous to have a player stationed at each leak spot and extra players to fix the net. There is benefit to not bailing once the ship has been flooded, as the activity bar decreases at a significantly slower rate. All the needed items are available in Khazard General Store.
An activity bar will determine players who are actively contributing to the minigame, which increases as the player performs actions that contribute to the group's progress. It takes 4 minutes of inactivity for the bar to drop from full to empty. Those who have their activity bar depleted will be removed from the trawler.
When in large numbers, one strategy is to fill up the activity bar, then let the water flood the boat. This allows the activity bar to drop at a much slower rate than when the boat is dry. That way the players can effectively afk or finish bolts over the 10 minutes of play, and allows for players to conserve supplies.
In case you are having trouble patching leaks before other players, you can spam click between two tiles (going left to right) and then on the leak, you increase the chance of patching the hole, even though the leak may have already been fixed before you get to it. As long as the animation takes place you fill your activity bar.
As there is a significant amount of downtime in this minigame, it can often be advantageous to bring supplies for other activities such as fletching. However, the use of alchemy spells is not allowed while on the trawler.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Successful teams return to the Port Khazard dock where they can inspect the trawler net for a reward of any saltwater fish they are able to catch up to their Fishing level. This is the only way for high level fishers to obtain raw sea turtles and raw manta rays, other than Drift Net fishing. Players who have completed the Elite Ardougne Diary receive 50% more fish. Players cannot use boosts to obtain fish above their base levels. There is a bank chest just south of the net.
Players receive a number of fish equal to the "total catch" (displayed during gameplay) divided by the number of players who were in the minigame. The type of fish caught from the minigame is dependent on the player's personal fishing level, as shown in the chart below. This part of the catch also includes oysters. These fish include:
|Raw sea turtle||Varies||Varies||784||120|
|Raw manta ray||Varies||Varies||1,215||120|
In addition, players may also receive some "junk" items in their catches. Each piece of junk is equally likely, and players will get between 0 and 2 junk per catch, apparently independent of fishing level. 1 junk happens in about 37% of catches, and 2 junk happens in about 16% of catches.
|Broken arrow||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
|Broken glass||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
|Broken staff||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
|Damaged armour||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
|Old boot||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
|Rusty sword||Varies||Varies||Not sold||0|
There is a 1/8 chance that players will receive a piece of the angler's outfit that they do not already own, which grants a small bonus to Fishing experience while equipped. When a player receives a piece a message in the chat box will state in red, The luck of the sea is in today. You spot a piece of fishing gear caught up in the netting! If a player's inventory is full and they attempt to pick up an outfit piece the outfit piece will fall on the ground.
Unsuccessful teams will find themselves swimming above a sinking ship after the ship fills with water. They must climb onto a barrel in order to be returned to the shore north of Port Khazard.
Other information[edit | edit source]
- Swamp paste is often lost when it is used to fill a hole while the screen is loading between "empty" and "water filled" ship types and when another player is filling the same hole. In both cases it will use a swamp paste but won't have any effect.
- Camera sway can be disabled using the button in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Timing is as follows: 2x15 seconds arriving and departing, 10 minutes trawling and 30-90 second pause for banking the catch.
- On populated worlds players who miss the start of the minigame can wait on the boat and will be automatically added to the next fishing trip
Update history[edit | edit source]
|10 September 2020
An empty catch issue at the end of the minigame has been fixed.
|15 August 2019
|11 August 2016
|6 August 2015
Ironmen can now unlock the Fishing Trawler music tracks in order to attain the Music Cape.
|26 November 2015
(update | poll)
A button has been added to the HUD of the Fishing Trawler minigame which allows the swaying camera movement to be disabled.
|24 September 2015
You can no longer perform skillcape emotes aboard the Fishing Trawler.
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
You now get 50% more fish from the Fishing Trawler minigame if you have completed the Ardougne Elite Diary.
|5 March 2013
A bug has been fixed that was making the Fishing Trawler fail to fill with water properly when sinking.
|22 February 2013
• This content was included when the Old School RuneScape servers officially launched.
After an unknown update[High Level Alchemy during the activity.], the Fishing Trawler was updated to stop people from using
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If you try to go out on the trawler with a Phoenix following you or in your inventory, you will get a message in the chatbox: "You cannot take that follower on the trawler. It might get wet."
- If you try to go out on the trawler with a cat following you or in your inventory, you will get a message in the chatbox: "You cannot take a cat out on the trawler. What if it were to fall in the sea?"
- If you put on an Easter Ring before the trawler sets sail, the game will show the player in egg form during the sailing animation, with the egg floating in the middle of a black screen.
- If you try a Skillcape Emote on the boat before the trawler sets sail, the game will not let you do so with the message "The boat movements put you off whilst trying to do your emote on the trawler. You feel a little sick."
References[edit | edit source]