This article gives tips about training the Fletching skill.
- 1 Helpful quests
- 2 Zero time methods
- 3 Other methods
- 3.1 Level 1–5/10 – Arrow shafts
- 3.2 Level 5–99 – Bows
- 3.3 Level 15–25 – Iron arrows
- 3.4 Level 30–99 – Steel arrows
- 3.5 Level 52–99 – Broad arrows
- 3.6 Level 65–99 – Diamond bolts
- 3.7 Level 82–90 – Amethyst arrows
- 3.8 Level 90–99 – Dragon arrows
- 3.9 Level 92–99 – Dragon javelins
- 3.10 Level 92–99 – Redwood shields
Helpful quests[edit | edit source]
Some quests give Fletching experience as a one-time quest reward:
- Animal Magnetism: 1,000 experience (lvl 1 - 9)
- Big Chompy Bird Hunting: 260 experience (lvl 9 - 10)
- Zogre Flesh Eaters: 2,000 experience (lvl 10 - 17)
- Temple of Ikov: 8,000 experience (lvl 17 - 28)
- The Fremennik Trials: 2,813 experience (lvl 28 - 30)
- Devious Minds: 5,000 experience
Spending experience lamps gained from quests on fletching is considered bad practice.
Zero time methods[edit | edit source]
Fletching can be trained entirely while doing other activities, meaning that the skill is considered passive and can be trained in "zero time". Activities which involve a lot of running or have downtime, and do not require full inventory space are well-suited for Fletching training, such as questing, training Agility, training Hunter (excluding black salamanders and black chinchompas), farm runs, training Slayer, subduing Wintertodt etc.
Darts[edit | edit source]
Fletching darts is arguably the most feasible option for zero time training, as it only requires two clicks to fletch a set of darts, doesn't interrupt movement, offers high experience per action and dart tips usually have a high supply on the Grand Exchange. However, this comes at a moderate to high loss and requires a large amount of capital to buy all the dart tips and feathers needed. Most common and usually the cheapest options are mithril or adamant.
Ironmen: You must have completed The Tourist Trap quest in order to smith dart tips. However, darts can be Fletched without the quest using dart tips dropped from monsters and implings.
Tip: If you are not click-savvy, consider fletching darts on mobile with two fingers tapping feathers and dart tips one after another. It's common to fletch 20 or 30 darts per tick this way, but faster speeds are likely possible.
Bolts[edit | edit source]
Fletching bolts (attaching feathers to unfinished bolts) works similarly to darts, but it offers less experience per action compared to darts, and some options aren't viable due to low supply or low buy limits.
Tipping bolts[edit | edit source]
While they cannot be made at the same rate as darts or bolts, tipped bolts can still be made while running. They can be "zero timed" during various activities, such as training agility (only between some obstacles) or during birdhouse runs. Some options aren't viable due to low supply, low trade volume of material or product, or low buy limits, and often require a large amount of capital.
|11||Opal-tipped bronze bolts||1.6||-8||2||1.25|
|26||Jade-tipped blurite bolts||2.4||-2||-2||-0.83|
|41||Pearl-tipped iron bolts||3.2||-50||5||1.56|
|48||Red topaz-tipped steel bolts||4||-454||26||6.5|
|56||Sapphire-tipped mithril bolts||4.7||-109||12||2.55|
|58||Emerald-tipped mithril bolts||5.5||-115||16||2.91|
|63||Ruby-tipped adamant bolts||6.3||-276||0||0|
|65||Diamond-tipped adamant bolts||7||-357||4||0.57|
|71||Dragonstone-tipped runite bolts||8.2||-716||19||2.32|
|73||Onyx-tipped runite bolts||9.4||-8,610||77||8.19|
|76||Amethyst-tipped broad bolts||10.6||-298||-1||-0.09|
- Blurite bolts in all forms are untradeable.
- Requires the broader fletching slayer reward.
Adding tips to dragon bolts can be more profitable, but requires a large amount of capital, and some options aren't viable due to low supply, low trade volume of material or product, or low buy limits.
Arrows[edit | edit source]
While they cannot be made at the same rate as darts or bolts, arrows can still be made while running. They can be "zero timed" during various activities, such as training agility or during birdhouse runs.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Level 1–5/10 – Arrow shafts[edit | edit source]
The best way to get from level 1 to level 5 is by fletching arrow shafts, which give 5 experience per log.
- Experience needed: 388
- Logs needed: 78
- Time: 150 seconds
- Logs cost = 1,326
- Arrow shafts = 1,170
- Total Profit/Loss = -156
Level 5–99 – Bows[edit | edit source]
Making bows is a slow method of training Fletching, but it requires a low amount of effort and is usually cheap or profitable. Fletching unstrung bows is more AFK but yields less experience per hour, stringing bows is faster but requires paying more attention. Since fletching unstrung bows takes 3 ticks per bow, fletching an inventory takes 48.6 seconds; stringing bows takes 2 ticks per bow which makes an inventory take 16.8 seconds to fletch.
This section will show the time and number of either logs or unstrung bows and bowstrings needed to reach level 99 if switching to each newly unlocked bow type you can fletch as soon as possible, along with the amounts of the materials involved: logs, bowstrings, unstrung bows and finished bows.
The below table assumes 1700 bows are fletched per hour, and 2450 bows are strung per hour.
|XP needed||Logs/unstrung bows
and bow strings needed
|Logs cost||Unstrung bows and
Level 15–25 – Iron arrows[edit | edit source]
Fletch 2,505 arrowshafts (167 regular logs), attach 2,505 feathers (which will get you past level 15, so that you can proceed), and then attach 2,505 Iron arrowtips. This method will roughly break even.
- Experience needed: 7,842
- Logs needed: 167
- Feathers needed: 2,505
- Iron arrowtips needed: 2,505
- Logs cost = 2,839
- Feathers cost = 5,010
- Iron arrowtips cost = 10,020
- Iron arrows = 10,020
- Total Profit/Loss = -7,849
- Total experience = 9,602.5
This method actually achieves level 26 for a total of 9,602.5 xp (assuming player is starting at level 1 with 0 xp). 5xp per 15 arrow shafts, 15 xp per 15 feathers attached, and 37.5 xp per 15 arrowtips attached.
Level 30–99 – Steel arrows[edit | edit source]
Fletching steel arrows is a reasonably fast method of training Fletching that is occasionally profitable. This is due to it sometimes being possible to sell the arrows above the market price, meaning that players can sell them at the same price which they bought the materials for allowing them to break even. Each set made yields 75 experience (5 experience per arrow).
- Experience needed: 13,021,068
- Steel arrowtips and headless arrows needed: 2,604,214
- Time: 62 hours
- Estimated experience per hour: 210,000
- Steel arrowtips price = 93,751,704
- Headless arrow price = 20,833,712
- Cost per arrow = -11
- Profit/Loss per experience: -2.2
- Total cost = 114,585,416
- Total Profit/Loss= -28,646,354
Level 52–99 – Broad arrows[edit | edit source]
Fletching broad arrows is a fast but expensive method for training Fletching. When fletching broad arrows, you make 10 sets of 15 arrows at 10 experience per arrow (150 experience per set). As broad arrows are untradeable, no profit can be made from this method of training. Keep in mind you must have unlocked the ability to fletch these arrows from a slayer master.
- Experience needed: 12,910,771
- Broad arrowheads and headless arrows needed: 1,291,078
- Time: 41 hours 38 minutes
- Estimated experience per hour: 310,000
- Broad arrowheads price = 72,300,368
- Headless arrow price = 10,328,624
- Cost per arrow = -64
- Profit/Loss per experience: -6.4
- Total cost = 82,628,992
- Total Profit/Loss= -82,628,992 (finished product is untradeable)
Level 65–99 – Diamond bolts[edit | edit source]
broad bolts, giving significantly more experience and profit per hour. Although a larger cash stack is required to buy the supplies for adamant bolts and diamond bolt tips. Diamond bolts are made 10 at a time and give 7 Fletching experience per bolt, resulting in 70 experience per set.Diamond bolts can be made as an alternative to
- Experience needed: 12,585,003
- Adamant bolts needed: 1,797,858
- Diamond bolt tips needed: 1,797,858
- Time: 69 hours 55 minutes
- Estimated experience per hour: 180,000
- Adamant bolts cost = 320,018,724
- Diamond bolt tips cost = 321,816,582
- Adamant bolts and diamond bolt tips total = 641,835,306
- Total Profit/Loss= 7,191,432
- Profit/Loss per experience: 0.57
Level 82–90 – Amethyst arrows[edit | edit source]
Amethyst arrows are a very fast way to train Fletching. Arrows are fletched fifteen at a time, in sets of ten, granting 202.5 experience per action, or 13.5 experience per arrow. It is possible to achieve 603,000 experience per hour with high concentration.
- Experience needed: 2,925,245
- Amethyst arrow heads and headless arrows needed: 216,685
- Time = 4 hours 51 minutes
- Amethyst arrowtips = 51,571,030
- Headless arrows = 1,733,480
- Loss per arrow = -59
- Profit/Loss per experience: -4.37
- Total cost = 53,304,510
- Total Profit/Loss= -16,251,375
- Approximate cost per hour ≈ -3,350,025
Level 90–99 – Dragon arrows[edit | edit source]
Dragon arrows are an extremely fast way to train Fletching. They are fletched in 10 sets of 15, at 15 experience per arrow (225 experience per action). It is possible to achieve 670,000 experience per hour with high concentration.
- Experience needed: 7,688,099
- Dragon arrow heads and headless arrows needed: 512,540
- Time = 14 hours
- Dragon arrowtips cost = 321,875,120
- Headless arrows = 4,100,320
- Loss per arrow = -34
- Profit/Loss per experience: -2.27
- Total cost = 325,975,440
- Total Profit/Loss= -17,426,360
Level 92–99 – Dragon javelins[edit | edit source]
Monkey Madness II, Dragon javelins are an extremely fast way to train Fletching, at a moderate loss. They are fletched in 10 sets of 15, at 15 experience per javelin (225 experience per action). It is possible to achieve 670,000 experience per hour with high concentration.Added with the release of
- Experience needed: 6,517,178
- Dragon javelin heads and shafts needed: 434,479
- Time = 9 hours 39 minutes
- Dragon javelin head cost = 409,279,218
- Javelin shafts = 434,479
- Loss per javelin = -42
- Profit/cost per xp = -2.8
- Total cost = 409,713,697
- Total Profit/Loss= -17,379,160
Level 92–99 – Redwood shields[edit | edit source]
Redwood shields are an alternative way of training Fletching. Fletching one shield requires two redwood logs, and gives 216 experience per shield.
- Experience needed: 6,517,178
- Redwood logs needed: 60,346
- Time: 38 hours 35 minutes
- Experience rate: 168k xp/hr
- Redwood logs cost = 19,069,336
- Redwood shields = 9,987,263
- Total Profit/Loss(fletching) = -9,082,073
- Per xp: -1.39
- Total Profit/Loss(fletching) = -9,082,073
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|