|Released||4 July 2019 (Update)|
|Inhabitants||Red dragons, temple spiders, undead druids|
|Music||A Forgotten Religion|
The Forthos Dungeon, also known as the Ruined Temple Dungeon and Hosidius Dungeon, is an ancient underground temple found beneath the Forthos Ruin in Hosidius. Monsters here range from mid to high combat levels and can be accessed from the staircase in the Forthos Ruin itself or the smaller ruins just east. No Kourend favour is necessary to enter or engage in activities within the dungeon.
The underground temple is one dedicated to Ralos, the god of the sun, and Ranul, the god of the moon. The temple is believed by Brother Aimeri, who comes from the Kingdom of Varlamore (where worshipping Ralos is common practice), to be the location in which Ralos worshippers originated.
Players can access The Shallows within the Catacombs of Kourend via the strange passage once climbing down the stairs from the Forthos Ruin. However, this passage will only open once the player has climbed up the respective vine from inside the Catacombs.
Dwarf multicannons cannot be placed inside the Forthos Dungeon. If players attempt to place one, the chatbox will state "A mysterious presence prevents your cannon being set up here."
Getting there[edit | edit source]
The dungeon can be easily reached by various teleport methods:
- Xeric's talisman - Teleporting to Xeric's Glade brings players just east of the eastern dungeon entrance.
- Kharedst's memoirs - Using the "Lunch by the lancalliums" teleport brings the player by the River Hos just north-east of the dungeon entrances.
- Watson teleport - Brings the player to Watson's house, just west of the Forthos Ruin.
- Spirit Tree Patch - Brings the player just south of the Ruin.
- Lovakengj Minecart Network - The Hosidius station of the minecart network brings the player just south of the Ruin.
- Skills necklace - Teleport to the Woodcutting Guild and run north.
A tour of the dungeon[edit | edit source]
Spider's Den[edit | edit source]
Just south, players can find a small chamber of undead druids blocked by some spider webs. To continue south, players must have a knife or slash weapon to pass through. Players can also find Brother Aimeri here, who will give players information about the dungeon itself.
Lastly, further south of Brother Aimeri is an old burial tomb that is now occupied by Sarachnis, the mother of the temple spiders.
Grubby Chest[edit | edit source]
The Grubby Chest is located behind a locked gate in the south-west corner of Forthos Dungeon. Players must have level 57 Thieving in order to unlock the gate, granting 10 experience when opened. Players can unlock the chest with a grubby key, which can be obtained as a drop from the monsters in the dungeon or from gourmet implings. The chest contains an assortment of food, potions, and treasure.
Temple Library[edit | edit source]
The Temple Library is a small chamber containing various bookshelves and four undead druids. Here, players can find the tome of the sun, tome of the moon and tome of the temple to begin the In Search of Knowledge miniquest. These tomes, once filled with tattered pages dropped by monsters in the dungeon, describe the religion of Ralos and Ranul, the former being commonly practised by people in the Kingdom of Varlamore, as well as information about the dungeon itself.
Altar of the Sun[edit | edit source]
North of the temple library lies the Altar of the Sun. Players can restore their prayer points here. A man named Olbertus can be found here, as well as an invisible Shaeded Beast, who can only be seen while wearing a ring of visibility. Players can receive a temple coin from him in exchange for five dragonstones or by attempting to kill him.
If players choose to kill him, he will transform into a level-186 Shaeded Beast, who will curse the Altar and render it unusable until a sufficient amount of eligible dragon bones are offered to the bone burner in the Crypt of the Moon (see here for more info). Attempting to use the altar while it is still cursed will result in the player taking up to 30 damage and fully depleting their prayer.
There is also a broken sun altar directly next to Olbertus, which cannot be used to restore prayer.
Crypt of the Moon[edit | edit source]
The Crypt of the Moon is a crypt that was used by followers of Ranul to bury their significant leaders, which are now occupied by undead druids. Players can use the temple coin on the stone relief here, which depicts a vision of both Ralos and Ranul, to travel into a small room containing a sacrificial burner.
In the room, a Sacred Bone Burner can be found; players can offer bones here for triple the experience that is normally granted when burying bones. Additionally, the burner tracks a "faith level" (or "divine presence") which, when maxed, will grant the player a temple key which can be used to unlock the temple doors of the dungeon, which are found near the western and eastern exits.
Eodan, a friend of Olbertus, can also be found in the room, where he tans hides for players at a higher cost than other tanners. This cost can be reduced by completing sets of the Kourend & Kebos Diary.
Scorched Grotto[edit | edit source]
A level 75 Agility shortcut can be found here which allows quicker access to other parts of the dungeon.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Altar of the Sun, depicting an eclipsed moon, tainted by the Shaeded Beast.
A strange passage that leads into the Catacombs of Kourend.
The burial tomb, now occupied by Sarachnis.
The grubby chest found south of the temple library.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Once players complete In Search of Knowledge and have used the temple coin on the stone relief, they can speak to the Knight of Varlamore and inform him about the dungeon; he will then move to the Altar of the Sun. Once he is there, praying at the broken sun altar will result in a different animation rather than the standard praying animation, a reference to the character Solaire of Astora from the Dark Souls video game series, who has an unusual obsession with the sun.
- If players wear a ring of visibility, they will see a ghostly version of the Shaeded Beast by the Altar of the Sun. When asked what it is after freeing Olbertus from its possession, he gives a speech that is a reference to the Explosion of Anger speech from Dragon Ball Z.
- Upon examining the strange passage in the western exit of the dungeon, the chatbox will state "A passage to another realm... I've seen stranger things." This is a reference to the American television series Stranger Things.
- Upon examining the egg sacs in Sarachnis' lair, the chatbox will state "It's making sounds inside. It's going to hatch soon!" This is the verbatim message that is given upon checking the status of a Pokémon egg that will hatch soon in Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal.