Forum:Move the lead paragraph above infoboxes on mobile
Hi everyone, I'm here to propose enabling an option that would move the lead paragraph on pages above infoboxes (where possible). For the eagle-eyed, this was unintentionally enabled on the wiki for a while, but was disabled today as this was an unintentional change.
Personally, I think we should move the lead paragraph above infoboxes on mobile only. This is done using a server-side configuration option. It makes sense to provide the lead, as a sort-of summary, to readers when they view the page, rather than requiring them to scroll down.
As it currently stands:
The only "issue" with this currently is that DIIs appear underneath the infobox when this config option is enabled, rather than to the side of the lead paragraph as expected. We can probably look into finding a way to make this better.
What do you think? Should we [re-]enable this on the OSRS wiki?
Note: This could also be enabled on the RS wiki, but it would require changes to our infobox templates to work properly, so I won't bother proposing it there for now.
Support - as proposer21:16, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
Comment/Question - noticed this earlier while I was traveling and checking some stuff on mobile, but didn't realize it was a new/unintended feature (mostly because I don't look at the wiki on mobile much to begin with). That "issue" with DIIs being shoved underneath the infobox did look weird, especially on pages that didn't have a second paragraph to accompany the dangling DII, but if it would be possible to fix those to appear up by the leading paragraph I think it would look great. Only real question I'd have is whether or not this would require (or just be helped by) an effort to cut down leading paragraphs a bit, so as not to push the infobox down the screen too far on mobile. I know some pages have most their info in one big brick of a leading paragraph, and those might could stand to be broken up into a couple. BigDiesel2m (talk) 21:31, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
Support if we can move DIIs to top, oppose currently - It's hard to overstate how weird the DII looks next to the second paragraph, which is not shown in your picture. Perhaps focus on getting that to work before we have a full discussion about it? ʞooɔ 02:13, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose DIIs at top - Unnecessary clutter, they're nice to have on desktop but not of significant importance. iN008talk 02:17, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
- The reason I thought it’d be a good idea to discuss it first is so that we’re not spending unnecessary time potentially modifying extension code in order to do something that people might not even want. Since there is a lack of a picture of the DII issue, here’s the one you posted on Discord 08:30, 19 April 2019 (UTC)
Support - I think it looks nice to have a little blurb at the top, before the brick that is the infobox. A bit more friendly of an introduction to the page before getting into the meat of the infobox n such. BigDiesel2m (talk) 14:59, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
Yesterday in discord there was a short discussion on whether or not to hide DIIs on mobile in regards to this suggestion. Here are the options as laid out by diesel yesterday:
- A: Assuming the above passes
- DII moved with opening text
- DII kept below infobox (See cook's above comment for potential issue)
- Hide DII (Likely would require templating, something that has been discussed before for both DIIs and Chatheads)
- B: Assuming the above fails
- Status quo, nothing changes.
- Hide DII
Support A:1 and B:1 - I think the DII should stay on the page, and should stay with the opening paragraph (wherever that might go). My only concern with the DII on mobile is that sometimes the DII takes up more width on the phone screen than would be ideal. Maybe my phone resolution is just smaller than usual, but in some cases the DII width can be like half the page which I think is a bit much. Maybe if we do wrap DIIs (and chatheads) into templates we could do some funkiness where it gets scaled down for mobile to a smaller pixel size? (or do it by percentages maybe?) Regardless, I think DIIs add to a page and should be kept with the intro paragraph, even on mobile. BigDiesel2m (talk) 14:59, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
Support A:3 and B:2 - Just to note, regarding A:1, this would likely require backend development work if we cannot find a way to achieve it on-wiki.15:02, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
A:1 and B:1 - generally agree with Diesel's points. I think the only backend work A:1 requires is modifying the MFE hook to move the infobox below the paragraph, rather than the other way around. Not completely trivial, but just a small rewrite. ʞooɔ 11:10, 24 April 2019 (UTC)
A:3 and B:2, but only when the screen is smaller than the width of a phone -- somewhere around 420px, which seems to cover most smartphones. I don't think it looks good to have a DII and text next to each other when the page is that narrow. Screens wider than 420px (phones in landscape orientation, tablets, people using the mobile skin on desktop) should keep the DII since they have enough room for the "full" experience. --Iiii I I I 08:06, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
- I agree with this line of thinking. Particularly in regardess to landscape orientation and tablets. iN008talk 08:34, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
Closed - The lead paragraph will be moved above the infobox for pages using the mobile skin. There is no consensus to hide detailed item images on aforementioned pages at this time. - 18:49, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
- Unclosed - Less than a week since latest section, comments were added less than 24 hours ago. iN008talk 18:58, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
Closed 2: Electric boogaloo - Thread has not received activity in 6 days since the first time I tried to close it. There is clear consensus to move the intro paragraph above the infobox on the mobile skin. However, there still seems to be a lack of consensus on how to approach what to do with detailed item images,
so for the time being option B:1 will be applied. -- 21:16, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- Addendum: To clarify, there seems to be a clear consensus that the current state of DIIs is not acceptable, however a consensus regarding what to do with that had not been reached. In the mean time, I will conclude that there should be no action regarding DIIs on the mobile theme. As such, although agreement has been reached to move the opening paragraph above the infobox, this will not go into effect until the issue regarding DIIs (and chatheads, etc) is resolved. I strongly encourage this topic to be revisited in a new thread. Sorry for the confusion that I have caused :Quo: -- 22:24, 2 May 2019 (UTC)