|Release date||27 January 2003 (Update)|
|Level needed||40 Mining|
|Respawn time||105 seconds (1:45)|
|Examine||A rocky outcrop.|
Gem rocks can be mined through the Mining skill in Shilo Village after a player has completed the Shilo Village quest or in the Lunar Isle mine after Lunar Diplomacy. A Mining level of 40 is required to mine gem rocks, granting 65 Mining experience per gem. The rocks regenerate in around 1 minute after being mined.
There is also another kind of gem rock, which appears during the Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup minigame at a rate of 5% or 1/20. In these rocks, the gems the player will mine are clearly visible, encrusted on the outside.
When a gem rock is mined, one of the following gems is produced:
- Opal (~46.86% or 60/128)
- Jade (~23.26% or 30/128)
- Red topaz (~11.76% or 15/128)
- Sapphire (~7.14% or 9/128)
- Emerald (~3.94% or 5/128)
- Ruby (~3.89% or 5/128)
- Diamond (~3.15% or 4/128)
- Percentages are based on a sample of 145,701 mined gem rocks.
Taking this into consideration, mining a Gem rock is worth 753 on average. Wearing a charged amulet of glory increases the speed at which gem rocks are mined.
Gem rocks are a desired resource and there is often some competiton among players for them. If you find yourself unable to mine them faster than others do, try world switching.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When a gem rock is mined, the experience lamp sound will play. This is also the same sound as when a gem is mined from a normal ore rock.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 15 April 2016. Mod Ash: "Nope, those are 5%."
|Mining rocks and sources|