Greater nechryaels, are a slayer monster requiring 80 Slayer to kill. When using Ice Barrage and fought in the Catacombs of Kourend, greater nechryaels can provide high Slayer experience rates per hour, varying on how well the player can group them and collecting their loot. Valuable common drops like the Rune items as well as mystic air staff generally compensate the rune cost even when barraging.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Level 80
- Level 43 for Protect from Melee
Recommendations[edit | edit source]
- Level 94 for Ice Barrage. Ice Burst could be used at Level 70 .
- High to equip mage armour such as ancestral robes.
- Level 82+ for an ornate pool and portal nexus for a teleport to Kourend Castle. Alternatively bring a xerics talisman and use the option Xeric's Heart to teleport to Kourend Castle and a ring of dueling for teleports to Ferox Enclave to restore stats.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
Bank with preferred banking method; Kourend Castle has a bank on the second floor(UK). Use your house portal or xeric's talisman to teleport to Kourend Castle. Investigate the statue in the courtyard to enter the Catacombs. Run north toward the hill giants, then east past the bloodvelds.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Attack styles[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Much like dust devils, greater nechryael in the Catacombs of Kourend are popularly killed using Ice Burst or Ice Barrage, as you are able to clump them up into a pile and hit them all simultaneously. To do this, turn on Protect from Melee, then attack the greater nechryael in the chamber they're in with a fast ranged weapon (such as cheap darts, throwing knives) or the special attack of the Dinh's bulwark to get them aggressive towards you. Run to a side of the room which has two corners adjacent to each other and run back and forth between the two corners so that the nechryael pile on top of each other.
Due to their very low Magic defence, it's important to use equipment that maximizes Magic damage instead of accuracy, such as a tormented bracelet or an occult necklace. Otherwise, wear items that give Prayer bonus to increase the usefulness of your prayer potions. Bringing along runes to cast Blood Burst/Barrage can also help extend your trips due to the fact that the summoned death spawns can hit through your prayer. You can be healed up to full in as little as two casts if the nechryael are stacked, making it much more effective than bringing food. Bringing along a super defence potion or sipping a dose before leaving the bank will help to take less damage.
When bursting or barraging, it is recommended to pay some attention in case of nechryarch spawns, as it is likely that players automatically attack it and its chaotic death spawns deal high damage through magic based gear. Some options to deal with it include switching to Blood Barrage to out-heal the damage taken (provided that there are more regular nechryael next to it), using ice spells to safespot it, or running away when the spawns appear to lose their aggression and coming back.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Autocasting vs manually casting spells[edit | edit source]
Autocasting spells has 1 tick delay between player clicking a target and the spell being cast. To achieve maximum experience rates the player should manually cast every spell from the spellbook after moving. This way the spell is cast immediately, saving a lot of time in the long run.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Magic[edit | edit source]
This is the best-in-slot available equipment for fighting greater nechryaels with Magic. See the table below for an overview of equipment alternatives in case this setup is not accessible or too expensive.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The occult necklace (+10%), tormented bracelet (+5%), imbued god capes (+2%) and ancestral robes (+2% each) increase the maximum hit of the player's Magic spells. However, the tormented bracelet is generally inefficient to use as the bracelet of slaughter will increase the task's length and maximise overall Slayer experience rates.
- It is recommended to use a staff or wand that can autocast Ancient Magicks. The Kodai wand provides +15% magic damage bonus as well as infinite water runes and a chance to save runes, making it the most effective.
- Holy Wrench is almost never effective, in almost every case it's better to bring a prayer or super restore potion in its place.
Equipment upgrades and downgrades[edit | edit source]
- Only use with the full set of Void knight armour