|Also known as||Lord of Balance|
Guthix originally arrived in Gielinor as the First Age began and was amazed by its perfection. He invited species he deemed worthy to inhabit the world; most notably gnomes, elves, dwarves and humans. After doing so, Guthix entered a deep sleep.
To stop the wars, Guthix cast out all the gods and created a physical barrier known as the Edicts of Guthix, preventing the other gods from interfering with the world except in small ways, such as the use of prayer. After banishing the gods, Guthix wandered the world to witness the destruction in his absence. In a cave in what is now southern Misthalin, he wept over the destruction and the earth wept with him, creating the legendary Tears of Guthix. With Gielinor slowly beginning to recover, Guthix went back to his slumber, not to be heard from again.
Religion[edit | edit source]
|“||I am beyond good or evil, I am simply Guthix.||”|
Guthix is the god of balance and nature. He is a generally considered a benevolent entity, who wishes the best for mortals, thinking the best environment is one of balance. This would entail equal amounts of conflict and peace, chaos and order, nature and culture, et cetera. Likewise, he expected his followers to live in balance with their world and respect it. Guthix approves of morally evil acts if it would serve balance, so long as there would not be an excess of evil nor good
There is a common misconception about Guthix, which is that he is the god of peace or tranquillity. While this holds some truth, seeing that Guthix seeks to create a world of balance where mortals could live in peace without the interference of gods, balance does not equal peace. Rather, he desires for peace to have an equal amount of conflict to counter it, as evidenced by the founding of the militant Void Knights to complement the pacifistic druids.
Over the large amount of years that Guthix had retreated himself from the world, his wish for mortals to forget him was not a success. Even from Guthix's point of view, what he wished for the mortals was corrupted, reshaped or misinterpreted by some of his followers. Guthix did not want people to worship or follow him , but this led to quite a divide between some of his teachings and of his closest and most devoted of followers such as Juna.
Followers of Guthix[edit | edit source]
Groups and races[edit | edit source]
- Druids - Naturalists and potioneers located in Taverley.
- Certain dwarves - A small but tough group of humanoid who are known to be great miners and smiths.
- Gnomes - A small humanoid race that live closely with nature.
- Seers - A group of humans who are often considered prophets.
- Moon Clan - A group of magically and telepathically gifted humans.
- Certain Fremennik - A group of humans who inhabit the Fremennik Province.
- Fairies - Small flying humanoids from Zanaris.
- Moss Giants - A species of giant which are shown to support Guthix.
- Chaos druids - Combative druids who strive for balance using Zamorak's methodology.
- Void Knights - Protectors of Gielinor from the threats from the Void, found at the Void Knights' Outpost.
Notable individuals[edit | edit source]
- Death - a Guardian of Guthix, responsible for maintaining balance between life and death.
- Derwen - An ancient ent roaming the Wilderness.
- Filliman Tarlock - A nature Spirit in Morytania
- Gypsy Aris - An old gypsy that lives in Varrock.
- Homunclus - A strange creation from alchemy gone terribly wrong.
- Juna - A large snake and Guardian of Guthix guarding the Tears of Guthix.
- Kaqemeex - Leader of the Taverley Order of Druids.
Animals associated with Guthix[edit | edit source]
Affiliated items[edit | edit source]
- Guthix staff
- Guthix cape (Imbued) (Max) (Imbued max)
- The Book of Balance
- Peaceful blessing
- Guthix rune armour
- Rune scimitar (Guthix)
- Guthix dragonhide armour
- Guthix vestment robes
- Guthix halo
- Guthix mjolnir
- Guthix banner
- Guthix heraldic helm (Rune) (Adamant) (Steel)
- Guthix heraldic kiteshield (Rune) (Adamant) (Steel)
- Void knight equipment
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex (Guthix Reiterates)
- Jagex. "God Letter 12 - Guthix Manifests, letter 16" RuneScape God Letters.
- Jagex. "God Letter 16 - Guthix Dispels Rumours, letter 17" RuneScape God Letters. "I am balance, not neutrality - neutrality doth suggest inaction, when the oposite[sic] is the truth. I willst take ANY action necessary to ensure balance upon mine plane, and as such, mine actions canst be deemed to be good or evil depending on howst they affect thee. In truth, they are neither - they art merely necessary."