|Released||4 June 2020 (Update)|
|Skills||Agility, Thieving, Construction, Prayer, Magic|
|Reward currency||Hallowed mark|
|Music||Well Hallowed Air, Watch Your Step|
The Hallowed Sepulchre is an Agility activity set in an ancient Saradominist burial ground of the city Hallowvale located beneath Darkmeyer available to players with level 52 Agility. There are five floors available scaling with the player's Agility level. In order to receive hallowed marks, the coffins must be looted, with deeper floors providing more marks per looted coffin. Noticeboards are located next to the stairs on either side of the lobby, where players can check their personal statistics within the Sepulchre, as well as the global statistics.
History[edit | edit source]
During the Second Age and early Third Age, the land of Morytania was a Saradominist kingdom known as Hallowvale. The Hallowed Sepulchre served as the final resting place for many Hallowvale residents. Members of Saradominist religious orders were frequently buried there. Accordingly, looting coffins will sometimes yield a Holy symbol or Monk's robes.
As the God Wars progressed, the conquest of Hallowvale (and thus the sacking of the Sepulchre) became increasingly likely. A Justiciar of Saradomin eventually instructed the Archpriest of the Unicorn to begin securing the Sepulchre. The Archpriest and his followers got to work filling the Sepulchre with dangerous traps. They became more skilled at making the traps deadlier as construction moved down the floors. Down at the final level, the Archpriest sealed himself and his followers within their tombs, ensuring the secret of how to disarm the traps died with them. Despite the loss of Hallowvale to the Vampyres, the traps were very successful in their purpose: as of the Fifth Age, no Vampyres have been able to access the Sepulchre.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
- Access to the city of Darkmeyer
- Requires completion of Sins of the Father
- 52 Agility in order to enter the Sepulchre, with higher requirements to access the lower floors. The Agility requirements are non-boostable.
- (Recommended) 70+ Hitpoints to withstand damage from traps.
- (Recommended) A Saradomin item is necessary to use the Magical Obelisks at the end of each floor to restore run energy. Run energy will be drained if the player has any non-Saradomin God items equipped (such as an Armadyl crossbow).
- 66 Thieving (boostable)
- 56 Construction to pass broken bridges
- 54 Prayer to pass Saradomin braziers
- 7 Magic to pass portal frames
- 62 Ranged to pass pillars
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Progressing through the Hallowed Sepulchre requires running through each floor in a limited amount of time. The first floor begins with 2 minutes on the timer, and an additional 2 minutes is added to the timer when climbing down to each lower level. After the timer runs out, the player will still be able to complete the current floor to gain Agility experience, but will not be able to loot coffins or progress to the next floor. Hallowed tokens can be used to extend the timer. Time saved on a floor gets carried over to the next one.
The timer is paused after passing the final obstacle on each floor. This area contains magical obelisks, which will restore the player's run energy if a Saradomin item is equipped and can be used to exit the sepulchre.
Experience for completing a floor will only be granted upon descending the stairs at the end of the floor, or by exiting the floor via one of the magical obelisks.
Obstacles[edit | edit source]
The obstacles in the Hallowed Sepulchre appear in cyclic patterns that block the player, but can be avoided with careful movement and timing. In most cases, running into an obstacle will teleport the player to a location just before the obstacle on the path, costing the player time. This deals a small amount of damage unless the hallowed ring is equipped. The following dangerous obstacles appear along the route:
- Wizard statue - These statues shoot fire that blocks the entire path. In most locations, the statues shoot fire in an alternating pattern from the left and right. This can be avoided by standing in the single tile gap between shooting fire.
- Knight statue - These statues throw a large Saradomin sword that travels forward and backward along the path. Statues in lower levels shoot swords that move faster, making them harder to avoid.
- Crossbowman statue - These statues shoot small bolts that travel along the path and must be avoided. Early floors shoot only a single fire bolt, but lower floors shoot 2 at a time, leaving only a single tile gap.
- Priest statue - These statues summon lightning in a 3x3 pattern that can stun the player briefly.
- Strange tile - Coloured tiles can teleport the player when illuminated. Blue tiles teleport the player forward, and yellow tiles teleport the player backward. At deeper floors, the tiles must be used in order to teleport past the fast swords thrown by knight statues.
Looting coffins[edit | edit source]
Coffins are found on each floor of the Hallowed Sepulchre. Looting coffins provides hallowed marks and other random rewards including some unique items. At the end of the final floor there is an additional Grand Hallowed Coffin that can be looted if the player reaches the end before the timer ends. Coffins can no longer be looted after the timer ends, along with the other activities required to reach them.
Each coffin is obstructed by a skill challenge that must be unblocked before looting. Each type of challenge has different item and skill requirements.
- Broken bridges - Must be built with a saw, hammer, and planks and nails. It is possible to fail and bend the nails, though using a hallowed hammer will remove the failure chance. The following planks and nails can be used:
- 2 planks and 5 steel nails: awards 150 Construction experience (−3.55 GP/xp) or
- 2 oak planks and 5 mithril nails: awards 300 Construction experience (−3.54 GP/xp) or
- 2 teak planks and 5 adamantite nails: awards 450 Construction experience (−5.01 GP/xp) or
- 2 mahogany planks and 5 rune nails: awards 700 Construction experience (−12.03 GP/xp)
- Saradomin brazier - Blocks some coffins with a holy barrier. The barrier is unlocked by sacrificing two vampyre dust, rewarding 200 Prayer experience. Only one vampyre dust is required when wearing a Hallowed symbol.
- Portal frame - Must be activated using enchantment spells, rewarding 200 Magic experience. The enchantment can be failed twice, after which the portal will be broken and impassable. Holding the hallowed focus will remove the possibility of failure. The following spells can be used:
- 7 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 1 Water rune
- 27 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 3 Air runes
- 49 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 5 Fire runes
- 57 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 10 Earth runes
- 68 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 15 Water runes, 15 Earth runes
- 87 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 20 Earth runes, 20 Fire runes
- 93 Magic: 1 Cosmic rune, 20 Blood runes, 20 Soul runes
- Pillars - Must be grappled using a crossbow and mith grapple. There is a chance of failure, but the player will always succeed if the hallowed grapple is equipped.
Recommended setup[edit | edit source]
This setup is recommended when attempting the sepulchre for the first time and none of the items are unlocked. Once the player has acquired enough hallowed marks, it is recommended to first purchase and equip the hallowed ring, followed by the other rewards in any order: hallowed grapple, hallowed focus, hallowed symbol, and hallowed hammer.
Experience rates[edit | edit source]
|Floor||Level Req.||Floor Exp||Cumulative Exp||Realistic XP/hour||No looting XP/hour||Jagex estimated XP/hour||Treasure Encounter XP (both ways)||Min. Cumulative time for Jagex XP/hour rates|
|1||52 Agility||575||575||30,000||40,000||36,000||100||58 seconds|
|2||62 Agility||925||1,500||40,000||50,000||48,000||100||1 minute 57 seconds|
|3||72 Agility||1,500||3,000||50,000||60,000||55,000||150||3 minutes 32 seconds|
|4||82 Agility||2,700||5,700||60,000||70,000||66,000||150||5 minutes 44 seconds|
|5||92 Agility||6,000||11,700||80,000||90,000||75,000||160||10 minutes 22 seconds|
Please note that experience rates will be higher if you ignore opportunities to loot coffins.
- Note that 90,000 XP/hour is attainable by only looting the Grand Hallowed Coffin allowing for some mistakes.
- The minimum cumulative time for Jagex XP/hr rates is the minimum time it should take to run to the end of a floor, starting with floor 1 and assuming no time spent waiting while the timer is paused. The actual minimum cumulative time would need to be approximately 10-20 seconds faster to account for paused time between floors.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Reward shop[edit | edit source]
While looting coffins the player will be rewarded with Hallowed marks. These can be used in the reward shop in order to purchase the following unique items:
|Hallowed crystal shard||1||Used to teleport to the Hallowed Sepulchre lobby. They can be purchased from the Mysterious Hallowed Goods shop.|
|Hallowed token||10||This token, when consumed within the Hallowed Sepulchre, will add an extra minute to the remaining time. You may use more than one token per attempt.|
|Hallowed grapple||100||This grapple, when equipped in the ammo slot, will always succeed grappling a Pillar.|
This grapple cannot be used anywhere outside of the crypt.
|Hallowed focus||100||This focus, when equipped in the off-hand slot, will guarantee the success of conjuring Portal Frames (regardless of the spell used and the player's Magic level) as well as speed up the process.|
|Hallowed symbol||100||This symbol, when equipped in the necklace slot, will halve the number of sacrifices required to a Saradomin Brazier and speed up walking through prayer barriers.|
|Hallowed hammer||100||This hammer will never break nails when repairing Broken Bridges.|
This hammer cannot be used anywhere outside of the crypt.
|Hallowed ring||250||This ring, when equipped in the ring slot, will prevent the user from taking damage and save a bit of time when failing an obstacle.|
It will "teleport them in the nick of time" and send them back to the start of the obstacle reducing the time penalty, and eliminating the need to bring food.
|Dark dye||300||This dye can be used on any piece of graceful armour to recolour it into a dark graceful piece of armour. Total of 6 Dark dyes are needed to recolour the full graceful set.|
|Dark acorn||3,000||This acorn, when used on the Giant Squirrel pet, will turn it into a black and red version to match the dark graceful set.|
It is a permanent unlock and can be toggled back to its original colour at any time.
|Hallowed sack||100||When opened, hallowed sacks give loot found in coffins within the Hallowed Sepulchre. |
Each sack gives five rolls from the low-tier loot table, one roll from the mid-tier loot table, and two rolls from the high-tier loot table.
The equipable Hallowed items acquired from the shop count as Saradomin items for the purpose of regaining run energy from the Magical Obelisks at the end of each floor, as well as for protection purposes in God Wars Dungeon.
Buying all items from the reward shop, including six dark dyes to recolour a full graceful set, costs 5,450. This does not include the three consumable items: Hallowed tokens, Hallowed crystal shards, and Hallowed sacks.
Coffin rewards[edit | edit source]
Looting coffins provides the following unique rewards:
|Ring of endurance||The ring of endurance can only be obtained from the Grand Hallowed Coffin on floor 5.
The ring can be charged with up to 1000 doses of stamina potion (1 dose = 1 charge). A charge is consumed when you drink a stamina potion, making the effects of the potion last twice as long. If the ring is removed while under the effects of a stamina potion, the remaining duration is cut in half. Wearing the ring will also reduce run energy drain rate by 15% when the ring is charged with at least 500 charges and a stamina potion is not active.
The ring requires 70 Agility to equip.
The charged ring is untradeable, and reverting the ring to make it tradeable will lose any stored charges.
|Strange old lockpick||This lockpick, when placed in your inventory, will allow you to bypass all Barrows doors. It is tradeable when it has its full 50 charges. A charge is consumed when you use the lockpick to open a door which was previously un-passable to you. Once a charge has been lost, it becomes untradeable. In addition, it will increase the success rate of looting coffins in the Hallowed Sepulchre, without using any charges.|
|Mysterious page||Obtained while looting coffins; 1 unique page is found in each floor of the Hallowed Sepulchre. These pages can be added to the strange hallowed tome, which is obtained by investigating the skeleton in the main lobby of the minigame.|
Agility pet[edit | edit source]
Upon returning to the Hallowed Sepulchre lobby via a magical obelisk, the player has a chance to receive the Agility pet, the giant squirrel. The chance of obtaining the pet depends on the difficulty of the floor completed and is as follows:
NPCs[edit | edit source]
There are a number of NPCs scattered throughout the Sepulchre. Some are meant to look like players either standing around or looting coffins. Some NPCs can be talked with and they will mention how the rogue outfit does not help when looting coffins or that the lockpick does help.
There are also 5 Knight spirits that can be encountered while looting coffins, after which they will appear in the lobby if the player is wearing a ring of visibility, and can be talked to while wearing a Ghostspeak amulet or equivalent. The possible encounters are the Knights of the unicorn, wolf, lion, and owl, as well as the archpriest of the unicorn.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|11 May 2022
|9 December 2021
All recorded times for the Hallowed Sepulchre have now been reset due to bug abuse.
|17 November 2021
Players who run out of time in the Hallowed Sepulchre will no longer be sent back to the lobby prematurely when finishing a floor.
|3 November 2021
The Global Best Times for Floors 1 and 4 of the Hallowed Sepulchre have been reset, as they were only accomplished via bug abuse. The bug in question has been fixed.
|3 June 2021
Inventory space checks are now performed correctly for coffin loot in the Hallowed Sepulchre, so that items only overflow onto the ground if they need to.
|23 September 2020
(update | poll)
|16 July 2020
Players will now cast the lowest level enchantment spell they currently have runes for when the hallowed focus is equipped, since players will always succeed in conjuring portals with it equipped.
|2 July 2020
|25 June 2020
|18 June 2020
|12 June 2020
|5 June 2020
|4 June 2020
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- On the southern path of the second floor, where the crossbowman statues are found, a wolf statue can be found behind them. Occasionally, a bowl of water and bones will spawn next to the statue.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. JagexHusky's Twitter account. 6 June 2020. (Archived from the original on 15 June 2020.) JagexHusky: "Yeah that's me on reddit and yes you can only get the ring of endurance from the coffin at the very end of floor 5"
- Jagex. "OSRS Modcast (Q&A) - Darkmeyer and Hallowed Sepulchre, Player Survey, and more!." (00:24:57), youtube.com video. 2020-05-27.
|Rooftop Agility courses|