Harpie Bug Swarms are mid-level slayer monsters that require a Slayer level of 33 to kill. A lit bug lantern, which requires a Firemaking level of 33 to light is required to damage these monsters (the lantern must be lit and equipped). If you do not have 33 Firemaking, you cannot be assigned Harpie Bug Swarms as a Slayer task.
Harpie Bug Swarms should be an easy task for well-equipped mid-level players; their abundance as well as the fact that they remain aggressive to players until level 93 combat makes this task very click-easy. As Harpie Bug Swarms are very accurate, and will often hit for up to 6 hitpoints, it is advisable to have Defence levels from 40-50+ and to bring food appropriate for the player's level, such as lobsters. Another option for those that have completed Tai Bwo Wannai Trio is to keep Protect from Melee up and recharge prayer at the Tribal Statue about 30 seconds away.
It is recommended to bring nature runes while slaying this monster since it has many drops that can be alched to free up inventory spaces, and fire runes are frequently dropped from this monster.
There are two safespots: one behind a bush and in between two trees to the south, and another to the north on the beaches of the fairy ring (DKP). Players can setup a cannon to range or melee 2+ swarms to the west, but will need runes to telegrab any desired drops.
You can use a Dwarf Multicannon in this location, but you have to equip the bug lantern for the cannon to deal damage.
- (Most recommended) The closest fairy ring is dkp. Although you will need to run south and use the shortcut to cross the river and then run north. Fairy ring ckr can also be used, though it's further to the south. Taking the former requires you to run past the Shaikahan and aggressive jogres before you can melee the swarms.
- A Tai bwo wannai teleport scroll will take you to the nearby village, just south-west of the swarms.
- You can also use the Ardougne cloak's teleport to the monastery, run north-east to Captain Barnaby, take the boat to Brimhaven and run south and east to reach the swarms.
- If the players house is in Brimhaven, you can Teleport to House, then walk south to the mainland then east.
- You can also use a ring of dueling and take the Al Kharid gnome glider to the crashed Karamja one which is slightly slower than the fairy rings.
- With 53 Agility, 21 Strength, 42 Ranged, and any crossbow and a mithril grapple, use the Karamja teleport option on a charged amulet of glory, run southwest, and use the grapple agility shortcut. This is faster than any other travel method, but losing an inventory space for the crossbow if not ranging (or the grapple if ranging) may not be appealing to some players.
Drop rates estimated based on 29,222 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Harpie Bug Swarm kill is worth 233.42.
There is a 3/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/85.49; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/170.67; 1/86.67[d 2]||407||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/341.33; 1/173.33[d 2]||678||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/682.67; 1/346.67[d 2]||1,280||60|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,820.44; 1/924.44[d 2]||865||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2]||2,544||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||11,795||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||10,616||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||840||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/87,381.33; 1/5,200[d 2][d 3]||11,884||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/174,762.67; 1/10,400[d 2][d 3]||65,396||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/233,016.89; 1/13,866.67[d 2][d 3]||37,018||37,440|
|25 April 2013
|Harpie bug swarms will no longer be assigned as a Slayer target unless you have the appropriate Firemaking level.
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 1 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "I think all three of the checks you list are still in effect on the creatures in question. Reducing requirements tends not to be popular."