Harpie Bug Swarm
|Harpie Bug Swarm|
|Released||30 January 2006 (Update)|
|Examine||A swarm of bugs.|
|Slayer XP||25 xp|
|Category||Harpie Bug Swarms|
|Not immune to poison||Not immune to venom|
Harpie bug swarms are mid-level slayer monsters that require a Slayer level of 33 to kill. A lit bug lantern, which requires a Firemaking level of 33 to light is required to damage these monsters (the lantern must be lit and equipped). If you do not have 33 Firemaking, you cannot be assigned harpie bug swarms as a Slayer task.
Harpie bug swarms should be an easy task for well-equipped mid-level players; their abundance as well as the fact that they remain aggressive to players until level 93 combat makes this task very click-easy. As harpie bug swarms are very accurate, and will often hit for up to 6 hitpoints, it is advisable to have Defence levels from 40-50+ and to bring food appropriate for the player's level, such as lobsters. Another option for those that have completed Tai Bwo Wannai Trio is to keep Protect from Melee up and recharge prayer at the Tribal Statue about 30 seconds away.
There are two safespots: one between the two trees to the south behind the small jungle plant, and another to the north on the beaches of the fairy ring (DKP). Players can setup a cannon to range or melee 2+ swarms to the west, but will need runes to telegrab any desired drops.
You can use a Dwarf Multicannon in this location, but you have to equip the bug lantern for the cannon to deal damage.
Locations[edit | edit source]
|Karamja, north-east of Tai Bwo Wannai (dkp)||46||14||Maplink|
- (Most recommended) The closest fairy ring is dkp. Although you will need to run south and use the shortcut to cross the river and then run north. Fairy ring ckr can also be used, though it's further to the south. Taking the former requires you to run past the Shaikahan and aggressive jogres before you can melee the swarms.
- A Tai bwo wannai teleport scroll will take you to the nearby village, just south-west of the swarms.
- You can also use the Ardougne cloak's teleport to the monastery, run north-east to Captain Barnaby, take the boat to Brimhaven and run south and east to reach the swarms.
- If the players house is in Brimhaven, you can Teleport to House, then walk south to the mainland then east.
- You can also use a ring of dueling and take the Al Kharid gnome glider to the crashed Karamja one which is slightly slower than the fairy rings.
- With 53 Agility, 21 Strength, 42 Ranged, and any crossbow and a mithril grapple, use the Karamja teleport option on a charged amulet of glory, run south-west, and use the grapple agility shortcut. This is faster than any other travel method, but losing an inventory space for the crossbow if not ranging (or the grapple if ranging) may not be appealing to some players.
- It should be noted to the player to bring antipoison potions while traveling around Karamja.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 29,222 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Harpie Bug Swarm kill is worth 222.68.
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Steel full helm||1||4/128||125||330|
|Staff of fire||1||3/128||1,407||900|
|Adamant med helm||1||1/128||916||1,152|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Coins[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
|Jug of wine||1||2/128||3||0|
Gem drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 3/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/85.49; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/170.67; 1/86.67[d 2]||318||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/341.33; 1/173.33[d 2]||506||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/682.67; 1/346.67[d 2]||1,147||60|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,820.44; 1/924.44[d 2]||927||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2]||2,627||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||10,075||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||10,013||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 2]||875||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/87,381.33; 1/5,200[d 2][d 3]||11,843||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/174,762.67; 1/10,400[d 2][d 3]||65,203||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/233,016.89; 1/13,866.67[d 2][d 3]||37,313||37,440|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (medium)||1||1/128[d 1]||Not sold||12|
- The medium clue scroll drop rate increases to 1/121 with the completion of the medium combat achievements.
Update history[edit | edit source]
|25 April 2013
Harpie bug swarms will no longer be assigned as a Slayer target unless you have the appropriate Firemaking level.
|22 February 2013
This content was included when the Old School RuneScape servers officially launched.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 1 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "I think all three of the checks you list are still in effect on the creatures in question. Reducing requirements tends not to be popular."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 24 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2019.) Mod Tide: "I know its been a while since the clue expansion but here is the information on clue scroll drop rates and loot chances! If anything changes I will keep you posted."