|Released||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Hello, nice doggy...|
|Attack style||Melee (stab)|
|+0||+0||+0||+0%||Not immune||Not immune|
Hellhounds are mid-to-high level monsters that are often given as a Slayer assignment to mid-to-high level players. Hellhounds are an excellent source of hard clue scrolls, as they drop them more frequently than other monsters. If players are on a Hellhound Task and they want to make some money off it, they could choose to kill Vet'ion as his Hellhound spawns will count towards your task and you may also receive some generous drops from the boss. Killing Cerberus will also count towards your Hellhounds Task.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Even though they are demonic in nature, demonbane weapons do not work against them. As their combat level suggests, hellhounds are not easy to defeat. It's worth noting, however, that their high combat level is mostly reflective of their accurate and powerful attacks; hellhounds have low defensive stats. Players with a low Defence level should bring the best armour that they can afford as well as high healing food.
As they only attack with Melee, the Protect from Melee prayer can be used to nullify their attacks. The most effective yet afkable way to use this strategy is at the Catacombs of Kourend, as the area is a multi-combat zone. Players who have completed at least easy tasks of the Ardougne Diary can teleport to Kandarin Monastery to recharge Prayer points, and teleport back via Xeric's talisman's Xeric's Heart option (requires full completion of Architectural Alliance) or the Kourend Castle Teleport spell (requires 69 Magic and reading Transportation incantations to unlock the spell). Alternatively, a player-owned house altar and Kourend portal may be used. Bring prayer-boosting armour such as the Proselyte armour for longer trips and some food just in case you run out of Prayer points and get hit by the hellhounds. Additionally, having a bonecrusher in your inventory is beneficial as burying bones inside the Catacombs of Kourend also restores Prayer points.
Prayer "flicking" can dramatically reduce the cost of fighting them; however, this requires close attention and probably some food to correct mistakes. Since they occupy a large space of 2-by-2 squares, hellhounds can easily be safe-spotted in Taverley Dungeon on rocks and columns, or in the Witchaven Dungeon. They may also be safespotted in the Kourend dungeon by ranging them from the south of the room, using the corner of the entry hallway to block.
Players hunting hard clue scrolls can kill hellhounds located east of the Deserted Keep while wearing a ring of wealth (i). This doubles the drop rate of clue scrolls from hellhounds, from 1/64 to 1/32.
If a Slayer master is checking your combat level, you are required to have at least level 75.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Stronghold Slayer Cave - can be safe-spotted[l 1]
- Taverley Dungeon - can be safe-spotted easily behind the '+' rocks[l 1]
- Cerberus (91 slayer requirement)
- Witchaven Dungeon - can be safespotted from just south of the door (a short puzzle is required to enter if Family Crest is not complete)
- God Wars Dungeon (level 127, NOT found in the Wilderness God Wars Dungeon)
- Catacombs of Kourend - can be safespotted with some difficulty[l 2]
- Karuulm Slayer Dungeon - level 122, can be safespotted[l 1]
- Quest related
- Cannon can be placed
- Can't be killed for hellhound slayer task
- Can be re-fought in Nightmare Zone
Drops[edit | edit source]
100%[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Looting bag||1||1/30[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||1/64[d 2]||Not sold||12|
|Brimstone key||1||1/95.6[d 3]||Not sold||N/A|
|Mysterious emblem||1||1/97; 1/80[d 4]||177,884||30,000|
|Slayer's enchantment||1||1/227.2; 1/200[d 4]||1,485||720|
|Ancient shard||1||1/256[d 5]||Not sold||122|
|Dark totem base||1||1/384[d 5]||Not sold||123|
|Dark totem middle||1||1/384[d 5]||Not sold||123|
|Dark totem top||1||1/384[d 5]||Not sold||123|
- Only dropped by those found in the Wilderness.
- 1/32 if a Ring of wealth (i) is worn and fought in the Wilderness.
- Only dropped if killed on a slayer assignment given by Konar quo Maten (Note: Konar only assigns the 122 variant).
- Only dropped while on a slayer assignment given by Krystilia.
- Only dropped by those found within the Catacombs of Kourend.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although they are demons, Hellhounds drop bones instead of ashes like a regular demon would. They are also not vulnerable to demonbane weapons.
- Also, despite being "hounds," they do not count toward a dog slayer task, nor do they drop ensouled dog heads.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 17 Sep 2015. (Archived from the original on 18 Apr 2019.) Mod Maz: "As promised, I'm home... and you get Cerberus drops... "
- Envision. "Drop Rates V2." RuneScape Forums.
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 16 January 2019. Mod Kieren: "It follows a curve up until level 100 then scales linearly between those 2 values upto level 350 combat. Creatures over thsi[sic] will cap at 1/50. "
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 Mar 2019.) Mod Ash: "It's calculated off the HP: 1 in (155 - (HP/2)) There's none with HP over 300, but it'd disregard values higher than that."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 March 2018. Mod Ash: "For nastier bosses (e.g. Callisto) it's 1/30. For other things it scales between 1/320 and 1/80 as the NPC's HP scales from 0 to 300."
|God Wars Dungeon|