The herbiboar is a creature that players can capture with 80 Hunter granting upwards of 1,950 Hunter experience.
- There are a total of 5 areas where you can start, each indicated by a hunter icon () on the map.
To begin tracking a herbiboar, inspect the rock, mushroom, or log next to the hunter icon () on the minimap. There are a total of 5 spots where you can start. Continue by inspecting seaweed, rocks, muddy patches, and mushrooms around the area to find more tracks until a tunnel containing a herbiboar is revealed. Attack this tunnel and harvest the appearing herbiboar. Additionally, the player has a chance to fail at tracking down the creature. When this occurs, a message will appear in the chatbox, stating: The creature has successfully confused you with its tracks, leading you round in circles. You'll need to start again.
Warning: The herbiboar will disappear if a new track is started before collecting its herbs.
- Since only the beginning step of tracking a herbiboar requires 80 Hunter, hunter potions and spicy stews can be used to temporarily boost from level 77 or level 75, respectively; however, doing so will grant less experience, as it scales on the base Hunter level of the player.
- The ring of pursuit's effect cannot be used to track herbiboars.
- It is advised to bring a herb sack to reduce the amount of banking. Alternatively, the tool leprechaun next to the hardwood tree patches can be used to note them.
- The Graceful outfit is valuable while hunting herbiboars, due to its stamina regenerating properties while inspecting objects while tracking the herbiboar.
- Stamina potions will significantly increase the amount of herbiboars that can be caught per hour, since there will be a lot of running at all times.
- The ring of endurance is very valuable for hunting herbiboars, as it will effectively halve the inventory slots used for stamina potions and reduce run energy drain.
Locations of the inspectable objects in the Herbiboar tracking activity.
There are a few instances in which the player will always find the next part of the track by inspecting the same object every time.
- A - When this spot is approached from the south, the path will always continue at the smelly mushroom.
- C - When this spot is approached from the west, the path will always continue at the muddy patch.
- D - When this spot is approached from the west, the path will always continue at the muddy patch.
- E - When this spot is approached from the north, the path will always continue at the smelly mushroom.
- F - When this spot is approached from the east, the path will always continue at the smelly mushroom.
- G - When this spot is approached from the north, the path will always continue at the smelly mushroom.
- H - When this spot is approached from the north, the path will always continue at the northeastern seaweed.
- H - When this spot is approached from the east, the path will always continue at the southwestern seaweed.
- I - When this spot is approached from the east, the path will always continue at the muddy patch, if this was the first part of the track.
- I - When this spot is approached from the south, the path will always continue at the muddy patch.
- I - When this spot is approached from the west, the path will always continue at the smelly mushroom.
A player harvests the herbs from a herbiboar.
An inspection of the herbiboar's trail can grant 50 experience and occasionally gives numulite or unidentified fossils. Once the player attacks the tunnel at the end of a trail, a herbiboar appears and Hunter experience is gained depending on the player's Hunter level. After the herbiboar appears, it can be harvested, requiring at least level 31 Herblore.
Experience gained from attacking the tunnel at the end of a trail, scales depending on the Hunter level of the player. The base value granted is 1,950 xp at level 80 Hunter, with 30 additional experience gained per Hunter level above 80 until level 94. Strangely, 15 additional experience per Hunter level at level 95. Afterwards, 19 additional experience is gained per level from 95 to 99 Hunter.
Harvesting from the herbiboar earns the player experience, herbs, and a chance to obtain the pet Herbi. The amount of Herblore experience depends on the amount of herbs collected, regardless of which herbs are received. The amount can be increased by using magic secateurs, although unlike harvesting herbs from farming patches, it cannot be increased with the Farming cape's perk.
An average of 59–66 herbiboars can be caught per hour while using stamina potions. This makes the experience rates at level 80 somewhere in between 115,000–128,000, only increasing as Hunter level increases. A considerably lower number will be caught per hour if not using stamina potions, due to the amount of running required. A weight of 0 kg or lower is highly recommended, as well as the herb sack. Since fossils weigh a bit, it is recommended to store them occasionally in the storage box by the mycelium pool.
Trail inspection (fossil drop table)[edit | edit source]
Expect to have an average of 2.56 trail inspection rolls per herbiboar.
The quality of herbs dropped by the herbiboar are determined by the player's Herblore level. Some low-level herbs disappear from the droptable entirely at a certain Herblore level, while other high-level herbs require a certain Herblore level threshold to be included in the droptable. See the table below for ranges  Toadflax is the only herb that is not dropped at all. The probability of receiving Ranarr weeds or other high tiered herbs scales with herblore level. The exact probabilities are not known, though. Quantity of herbs dropped does not scale with levels.
|Grimy guam leaf||1–4||Varies||19–76||7–28|
|Grimy marrentill||1–4||Varies[d 1]||21–84||8–32|
|Grimy tarromin||1–4||Varies[d 1]||121–484||9–36|
|Grimy harralander||1–4||Varies[d 1]||724–2,896||9–36|
|Grimy ranarr weed||1–4||Varies[d 1]||5,986–23,944||18–72|
|Grimy irit leaf||1–4||Varies||636–2,544||10–40|
|Grimy snapdragon||1–4||Varies[d 1]||8,781–35,124||12–48|
|Grimy lantadyme||1–4||Varies[d 1]||1,512–6,048||13–52|
|Grimy dwarf weed||1–4||Varies[d 1]||548–2,192||14–56|
|Grimy torstol||1–4||Varies[d 1]||8,653–34,612||15–60|
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 21 February 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "Looking closer, that formula goes up to 95, At 95, it's 2385, then 2404, then 2423, etc. adding 19 per level up to 99. I don't know why."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 18 November 2018. (Archived from the original on 19 March 2019.) Mod Ash: "It influences what herbs you get, though it'd be rather hard to describe exactly how, even if I had the code here with me to read."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 5 June 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Maz: "It does not scale on skill level. However you do get more if you wear the enchanted secateurs."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 March 2020. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.)