|Released||5 November 2015 (Update)|
|Options||Talk-to, Metamorphosis, Pick-up|
|Examine||A long-legged bird that likes to fish.|
The heron is a members-only skilling pet that can be obtained while training Fishing. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's Fishing level, and the time it takes to gather a resource.
A heron can be turned into a great blue heron by feeding it 3,000 spirit flakes. The recolouring can be reversed by feeding the great blue heron any raw fish, while one spirit flake can be used to turn it back to blue.
When a player receives the pet, it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed. However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. This message also occurs if there is one last inventory space while the player already has a pet following them, in which case the pet will appear in the inventory instead and the resource dropped to the ground.
On death, if a player loses their pet (as a follower or in your inventory) it will wander around for 30 seconds before disappearing completely. It can then be reclaimed from Probita in East Ardougne for a reclaim token, which costs 1,000,000 coins.
Drop rate[edit | edit source]
Shown below are the base chances of receiving a heron.
A player's actual chances of receiving it is 1 in B - (Lvl * 25), where B is the base chance and Lvl is the player's Fishing level. The only exceptions are the Fishing Trawler and minnows, which are always a flat 1/5,000 per game and 1/977,778 per catch respectively, regardless of level. With minnows and karambwanji, the pet chance is rolled once each time fish are obtained (i.e. when experience is given), regardless of the number that were fished.
The fastest method on average to receive the heron is through 2-tick fishing, specifically tuna and swordfish. If not using tick manipulation, karambwans are the fastest alternative.
To find the pet chance for a method at a given level, refer to the skill pet chance calculator.
|Big net fishing||382,609|
|Fishing Trawler minigame||5,000|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The heron's dialogue is a quote from the 2003 film Finding Nemo, in which Nigel, a pelican, attempts to save Dory and Marlin from seagulls by transporting them away in his mouth.
- The great blue heron's dialogue makes multiple references:
- If offered burnt fish, the player will state that it is valuable, referring to other players who collect piles of burnt food.
- If offered a cooked fish, the heron will demand that the player uncook it; when the player states that they cannot, the heron in turn remarks about a cat who mastered uncooking, referring to Evil Bob and ScapeRune.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 August 2018. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Ash: "Yes, though skilling features will aim to avoid that by putting a new pet in your inventory ahead of whatever skilling resource you were about to be given."
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 11 January 2016. Archived from the original on 26 May 2020. Mod John C: "Skill Pet Drop Rates part 2 - Heron! "
- Jagex. Mod Munro's Twitter account. 13 February 2019. Archived from the original on 25 March 2019. Mod Munro: "As I mentioned on the Q & A, here are the pictures of the drop rates for various parts of Kebos. This time with the correct drop rate for the pieces of the Brimstone Ring."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 6 June 2022. Archived from the original on 9 July 2022. Mod Ash: "Same as for tuna: 257,770 No, spirit flakes don't give an extra pet roll."
- Jagex. Mod Roq's Twitter account. 22 June 2017. Archived from the original on 26 May 2020. Mod Roq: "Infernal skilling drop rates: Heron = 1/160000 - (fishing level*25) Rocky = 1/176743 - (thieving level*25)"
- Old School RuneScape. "DMM Rework/Torag's Hammers/Shackle - OSRS Q&A." (00:26:33), YouTube video. 6 July 2017.
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 11 January 2016. Archived from the original on 26 May 2020. Mod John C: "Your level doesn't help with Trawler, it is the one exception."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 13 Jan 2023. Mod Ash: "For tetra, which isn't yet listed, the base number would be 257,770."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 January 2023. Archived from the original on 26 January 2023. Mod Ash: "[What about the rate for Guppy and Cavefish?] Same number."