|Released||5 November 2015 (Update)|
|Inventory||Smells a little fishy.|
|Follower||A long-legged bird that likes to fish.|
The heron is a members-only skilling pet that can be obtained while training Fishing. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's Fishing level, and the time it takes to gather a resource.
When a player receives the pet, it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a red message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed.
When fishing, the pet is prioritised over the resource gathered. For example, if there is one last inventory space while fishing, and the player already has a pet following them, the pet will appear in the inventory instead, while the fish will drop to the ground. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack.
On death, if a player loses their pet (as a follower or in your inventory) it will wander around for 30 seconds before disappearing completely.
Drop rate[edit | edit source]
Shown below are the base chances of receiving a heron.
A player's actual chances of receiving it is 1 in B - (Lvl * 25), where B is the base chance and Lvl is the player's Fishing level. The only exceptions are the Fishing Trawler and minnows, which are always a flat 1/5,000 per game and 1/977,778 per catch respectively, regardless of level. With minnows, the pet chance is rolled once each time fish are obtained (i.e. when experience is given), regardless of the number that were fished.
The fastest method on average to receive the heron is through 2-tick fishing, specifically tuna and swordfish. If not using tick manipulation, karambwans are the fastest alternative.
|Big net fishing||382,609|
|Fishing Trawler minigame||5,000|
Colour[edit | edit source]
A heron can be turned into a Great blue heron by feeding it 3,000 spirit flakes. The recolouring can be reversed by feeding the great blue heron any raw fish, while one spirit flake can be used to turn it back to blue.
Products[edit | edit source]
|Great blue heron|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The heron's dialogue is a quote from the 2003 film Finding Nemo, in which Nigel, a pelican, attempts to save Dory and Marlin from seagulls by transporting them away in his mouth.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 11 January 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod John C: "Skill Pet Drop Rates part 2 - Heron! "
- Jagex. Mod Munro's Twitter account. 13 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 25 March 2019.) Mod Munro: "As I mentioned on the Q & A, here are the pictures of the drop rates for various parts of Kebos. This time with the correct drop rate for the pieces of the Brimstone Ring."
- Jagex. Mod Roq's Twitter account. 22 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Roq: "Infernal skilling drop rates: Heron = 1/160000 - (fishing level*25) Rocky = 1/176743 - (thieving level*25)"
- Old School RuneScape. "DMM Rework/Torag's Hammers/Shackle - OSRS Q&A." (00:26:33), YouTube video. 6 July 2017.
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 11 January 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod John C: "Your level doesn't help with Trawler, it is the one exception."