|Released||11 June 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||Some nicely cooked herring.|
|High alch||6 coins|
|Low alch||4 coins|
|Exchange||22 coins (info)|
Herring are a type of fish that can be obtained by cooking a raw herring on a fire or cooking range, requiring level 5 Cooking and granting 50 experience when successful. Players may burn a herring while cooking one, resulting in a burnt herring; the burn rate while cooking these will decrease as players reach higher Cooking levels.
They can be eaten to heal 5 hitpoints.
Creation[edit | edit source]
Regular[edit | edit source]
Red herring[edit | edit source]
|Sticky red goop||1||N/A|
Cooking chance[edit | edit source]
Item sources[edit | edit source]
|Reward casket (beginner)||N/A||5–9 (noted)||11/492|
Spawns[edit | edit source]
|Yanille Agility Dungeon||1||Maplink|
Shop locations[edit | edit source]
|The Shrimp and Parrot||Brimhaven||5||9m||13||7|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|20 September 2018
The value was changed from 15 to 10.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- One of RuneScape's Monty Python references is revealed if players use a herring (cooked or raw) with any tree in RuneScape (except the one outside the Draynor Village bank, in which the security guard is hiding). The chatbox will state This is not the mightiest tree in the forest, in reference to one of the lines in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- If used with a redwood tree that has fully grown in the Farming Guild, the chatbox will state This is not the mightiest tree in the forest; it is fairly mighty though.
- If used with the Grand Tree, the chatbox will state It can't be done! in reference to another line in the movie.
- If used with the blisterwood tree, the chatbox will state This is indeed a mighty tree. But alas, it is not the mightiest tree in the forest.
- The Christmas Tree (as of 2020) message is indeterminable, the chatbox may state: I can't reach that! or have no message at all where the player may step towards the tree and step back again.
|Chambers of Xeric|