The Ice demon is one of the bosses encountered in the Chambers of Xeric.
The demon is initially standing in place protected by an ice storm, blocking the way deeper into the chambers. In order to dispel the ice storm, the braziers surrounding it must be lit, and kindling fuels them. There are plenty of trees outside the chamber it resides in to chop for tinder. Having a deposit chest built will greatly help for managing inventory space.
There are four braziers surrounding the demon. An icefiend occupies each brazier (one icefiend for each player in the team, capping at four icefiends). They do not move, but they will extinguish any lit fires near them. The more wood is burning, the faster the ice storm is dispelled.
Once the ice storm is dispelled, the icefiends will disappear and it will start attacking players. It has two attacks; a snow boulder and Ice Burst. The demon will take overhead prayers into account when fighting them; if the target is using Protect from Missiles, it will only use the snow boulder attack. If Protect from Magic is used instead, it will only use Ice Burst. Both attacks are AoE with a 3x3 radius, so one can avoid attacks completely by moving a few spaces away from their spot.
The demon has low health compared to other monster puzzles, but compensates for this with high Defence and a damage reduction effect.
Though the demon has damage reduction effects for both range and melee attack styles, damage from fire spells and flames of Zamorak are both increased by a considerable amount and is fairly accurate due to its magic defence being calculated from its defence level rather than magic, unlike most monsters. It is recommended to use dragon warhammer or Bandos godsword special attacks to lower the demon's defences, unless using them in the following room is more advantageous (for example, against Tekton). The twisted bow also excels against the ice demon due to its high Magic level.
|31 January 2019 (update)
||Adding wood to a lit brazier is now as effective as adding wood to an unlit brazier.
|28 February 2019 (update)
- Trees found within the ice demon room in Chambers of Xeric are now less likely to fall
- Players will now receive more wood than before when successfully chopping trees within the room based on Woodcutting level
- As saplings can now give more wood than before, the Woodcutting XP gained per item of kindling has been reduced slightly
- The ice demon's defences are now lower than before and its magic defence is now calculated from its defence level rather than magic, making it weaker to spells overall, including its additional weakness to fire spells
- In very large raids, teams would often quit if they encountered the Ice demon, as regardless of how much kindling was being put in the braziers, it would extinguish them at a very rapid rate in addition to the kindlings barely doing anything against the demon. This was later changed in a patch.
- ↑ DISCLAIMER: The stats displayed on this page can vary based on the player with the highest combat level. The stats shown are scaled for a player with maxed combat stats.
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. Mod Ash: "Most NPCs calculate magical defence from the Magic stat. Some, now including this one, calculate it from the Defence stat - and for this demon, the Defence stat is much lower. (Monster Examine?) So magic will be more accurate there. Fire spells have always done + damage to it."