|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||A rocky outcrop.|
An iron rock is a protruding rock containing iron ore. A player with a Mining level of 15 or higher can mine iron ore from rocks found in various mines, granting 35 Mining experience for each ore mined. After being mined, an iron rock takes 5.4 seconds to respawn.
Iron is the most popular ore that free-to-play players power-mine for experience. At the Mining Guild, Al Kharid Mine, Piscatoris Mine, Legends' Guild mine, Verdant Valley, Lovakengj Mine, Mount Karuulm Mine, Trahaearn Mine, Wilderness Resource Area, and Isle of Souls mine, there are three rocks in a triangle formation, which allows for convenient mining.
Mining Info[edit | edit source]
|Mining XP||35 xp|
|Respawn time||5.4 seconds|
Pre roll drops[edit | edit source]
A gem table rolls before the main drop table. There's a chance to receive nothing here so that players can receive no items from a rock even if they are guaranteed to receive an ore in the main drop table. The table gets more likely to be rolled if the player has a glory amulet equipped: the probability grows from 1/256 to 1/86.
|Nothing||N/A||70/32,768; 70/11,008[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||32/32,768; 32/11,008[d 1]||349||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||16/32,768; 16/11,008[d 1]||574||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||8/32,768; 8/11,008[d 1]||1,171||60|
|Uncut diamond||1||2/32,768; 2/11,008[d 1]||2,721||120|
- The drop rate is increased while wearing a amulet of glory
Main drops[edit | edit source]
The probability for a player to receive an iron ore drop is shown for varying levels in the figure below. The rock will deplete after receiving the iron ore. Mining gloves and its variants do not affect iron ore depletion.
Conditional drops[edit | edit source]
The following table shows items that can be received in addition to the main resource.
|Clue geode (beginner)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (easy)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (medium)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Crystal shard||1||1/127[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Unidentified minerals||1||1/100[d 2]||Not sold||30|
|Rock golem||1||Very rare||Not sold||N/A|
- Only dropped by Prifddinas version.
- Unidentified minerals can only be obtained while in the Mining Guild.
Banking[edit | edit source]
Iron ore rocks that are close to a bank include:
- East Varrock Mine - Bank at East Varrock Bank.
- Dorgesh-Kaan Mine - Bank at the Culinaromancer's Chest, which requires doing the first subquest of Recipe for Disaster, and The Lost Tribe is required to gain access to the mine. Also, a light source, such as a Mining helmet, is needed. For best results, do the following:
- Talk to Kazgar and have him take you to the mines.
- Mine until your inventory is full of ore.
- Go to Mistag and have him show you out of the mines.
- Go into the Lumbridge Castle basement through the hole and bank at the Culinaromancer's Chest if Recipe for Disaster is partially completed, or bank at the Lumbridge Castle bank on the top floor if not.
- Deposit all the ore and then go back to the mines and repeat.
- Iron ore rocks at the Fight Arena Mine near Port Khazard - Bank at the Port Khazard deposit box or at Yanille.
- The Piscatoris Fishing Colony Mine - Bank inside the colony and must have completed Swan Song.
- The Legends' Guild mine between East Ardougne and the Legends' Guild - Bank at Ardougne South Bank.
- Right outside of the Mining Guild in Dwarven Mine - Bank at East Falador Bank.
- The iron ore rocks south of East Ardougne at South Ardougne Mine - Bank at Ardougne South Bank, or use an Ardougne cloak and Amulet of glory to get to the mine and bank at Edgeville.
- The West Falador Mine - Bank at West Falador Bank. Also, level 5 Agility is needed to negotiate the shortcut.
- For the daring and adventurous, the Steel Mine in the level 6 Wilderness north of Edgeville also offers a few iron ore rocks.
- The Mining Guild Members Area - Inside the Mining Guild there are two spots that have three iron rocks close together. - Bank in the Mining Guild Members Area
Power-mining Locations[edit | edit source]
There are currently 10 locations in Runescape that have three iron rocks in a triangle formation.
- Al Kharid mine - The only location available to free-to-play players.
- Isle of Souls mine - Accessible via Soul Wars minigame teleport or the Soul Wars portals at the Ferox Enclave or Edgeville.
- Legends' Guild mine
- Lovakengj mine
- Mining Guild - Members' area only. This is the preferred area to power-mine due to the iron rocks having a decreased respawn time. This mine has two spots with three iron rocks close together.
- Mount Karuulm mine
- Piscatoris mine
- Trahaearn mine
- Verdant Valley
- Wilderness Resource Area
Locations[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 11 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "It adds a gem roll before each ore roll, and if you receive a gem you don't get the ore roll."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 6 July 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, [the mining gem table has] got [...] chance of giving no gem."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 Feb 2017. (Archived from the original on 18 Jun 2019.) Mod Ash: "[the actual increase when wearing the Amulet of Glory while mining is] 1/86 rather than 1/256 for a gem."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 14 April 2020. (Archived from the original on 15 April 2019.) Mod Ash: "I believe that's 1/127 from any type of ore. And it looks like the Varrock bonus would give you a second shard roll if you got a second ore."
- Mod Ed. "Mining Guild Expansion." 22 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 15:02, 20 May 2021 (UTC).) Old School Announcements Forums.
|Mining rocks and sources|