Melee training involves training Attack, Strength, Defence and Hitpoints through combat. Ironman melee training is similar to the normal training methods, with a heavy emphasis on Slayer for resources.
Early training: Quests[edit | edit source]
Early levels can be skipped by completing quests granting Attack, Strength, or Defence experience. Notably, Waterfall Quest has no requirements and grants enough experience for 30 Strength and 30 Attack, going straight to 22 combat level.
|Vampyre Slayer||None||4,825||N/A||N/A||Level 34|
|Tree Gnome Village||None||11,450||N/A||N/A||Level 112, safespottable|
|Fight Arena||None||12,175||N/A||N/A||Levels 44, 63, 137, safespottable|
|The Grand Tree||25||18,400||N/A||N/A||Level 172, safespottable|
|Holy Grail||Merlin's Crystal, 20||N/A||N/A||15,300||Level 127, flinchable|
|Haunted Mine||Priest in Peril, 35||N/A||22,000||N/A||Level 95|
|Dragon Slayer I||32||N/A||18,650||18,650||Levels 3, 19, 22, 24, 43, 82, 83|
|In Aid of the Myreque||In Search of the Myreque, 25 , 15 , 7||2,000||2,000||2,000||Levels 35, 54, 50s/75|
Fastest experience[edit | edit source]
Ammonite/sand crabs[edit | edit source]
Ammonite crabs on Fossil Island are the best option for early melee training. They have relatively high Hitpoints and otherwise low stats. Little to no food is required and they also drop fossils. They are aggressive for 10 minutes, making it possible to stay in combat for long periods of time without any player input. Sand crabs in Hosidius are an alternative with no requirements, but they have lower Hitpoints and are usually more crowded.
The experience rates achieved here are similar to Nightmare Zone up to level 65, as long as aggression is reset without wasting much time.
Slayer[edit | edit source]
With decent melee stats and equipment, most melee experience should be gained through Slayer. Powerful equipment is locked behind Slayer levels for ironmen, such as the abyssal whip, dragon boots, occult necklace, and trident of the seas.
Nightmare Zone[edit | edit source]
With base 70 melee stats, melee can also be trained in the Nightmare Zone. Using normal customisable rumble and absorption potions offers a very straightforward and the most AFK-able way of training melee stats, allowing the player to stay in combat for 20 minutes without any player input. However, Nightmare Zone dreams require a coin fee to start and there are no valuable drops.
Using the boss list from the Nightmare Zone AFK absorption method, up to 85,000 experience per hour is possible. In terms of experience per hour, the best setups are, in order: obsidian equipment with avernic defender, bandos equipment with avernic defender and finally, obsidian equipment with dragonfire shield. Using a dwarven rock cake or locator orb can help extend trips to 6 hours to maximise absorption point efficiency.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Barbarian fishing[edit | edit source]
Barbarian Fishing gives small amounts of passive Strength experience in addition to Fishing and Agility experience. It is recommended to get passive Strength experience from Fishing before doing melee training, as the passive Strength experience has a much bigger benefit at lower than higher levels.
Weapons[edit | edit source]
Prioritize weapons with fast attack speed over stronger weapons with slower speeds.
- All swords up to and including rune are sold by various shops.
- The rune scimitar is the recommended weapon from level 40 to 60 Attack. It is dropped by fire giants and Zamorak warriors, both of which can be safespotted with Magic.
- The dragon scimitar is the best melee weapon to use before 85 Slayer. Complete Monkey Madness I as soon as possible to unlock it.
- At 65 Attack and Strength, get a dragon defender from the Warriors' Guild. Later, upgrade it to an avernic defender.
- At 85 Slayer, kill abyssal demons for an abyssal whip. It can be upgraded to an abyssal tentacle at 87 Slayer, though it degrades and eventually destroys the whip, refunding only the tentacle. Because the whip cannot train Strength, the dragon scimitar remains a choice weapon for that purpose.
- Endgame melee weapons include the blade of Saeldor from The Gauntlet, the Ghrazi rapier from the Theatre of Blood, and the inquisitor's mace from the Nightmare of Ashihama.
Special attack weapons[edit | edit source]
- At 60 Attack, complete The Lost City to unlock the dragon dagger, which has a useful special attack.
- Arclight is the strongest weapon against demonic creatures. Complete Shadow of the Storm for Darklight, then kill monsters in the Catacombs of Kourend for ancient shards.
- The dragon warhammer is highly sought after by ironmen for its special attack, which is used when fighting many boss monsters. Ideally, complete the hard Kourend & Kebos Diary and unlock lizardman Slayer assignments before killing lizardman shamans.
- The Bandos and Saradomin godswords are the most useful godswords.
- The leaf-bladed battleaxe is the strongest weapon that can harm turoths and kurasks.
- Dragon claws, from the Chambers of Xeric, are the the next upgrade from the dragon dagger.
- The Zamorakian spear is the strongest spear to use against Corporeal Beast.
- The dragon hunter lance is the most powerful melee weapon against all draconic monsters.
Armour[edit | edit source]
- All armour pieces up to and including rune can be purchased from various shops.
- Completion of Dragon Slayer I is required to use the rune platebody.
- Maximise strength bonus for efficient training.
Helmets[edit | edit source]
- The helm of Neitiznot is a reward from The Fremennik Isles.
- It upgrades to a Neitiznot faceguard with a basilisk jaw after The Fremennik Exiles.
- For Slayer training, obtain a black mask from cave horrors at 58 Slayer.
- Upgrade it to a slayer helm when possible, then imbue it.
Torso[edit | edit source]
- The fighter torso from Barbarian Assault minigame provides the best, earliest strength bonus.
- The obsidian platebody is a slightly weaker alternative, but requires either beating the TzHaar Fight Cave or killing many TzHaar-Ket.
- The Bandos chestplate has the same strength bonus as fighter torso, but considerably higher defensive bonus.
- A torva platebody must be fixed with 90 Smithing and bandosian components after the damaged version drops from Nex.
Legs[edit | edit source]
- With few options for Strength bonus, use the best defensive gear possible.
- Obsidian platelegs have low defence, but do give Strength bonus.
- Bandos tassets have better defence and more Strength bonus.
- Torva platelegs also require Smithing and bandosian components after getting the damaged version from Nex.
Neck[edit | edit source]
- An amulet of strength is the most efficient option early on.
- Complete the Haunted Mine quest and the Lair of Tarn Razorlor miniquest to unlock the salve amulet (e).
- After levelling Crafting, use an amulet of glory and amulet of fury.
- The best neck slot item for melee is the amulet of torture, crafted from zenyte shards dropped by demonic gorillas.
Ring[edit | edit source]
Gloves[edit | edit source]
- Complete Recipe for Disaster subquests for Culinaromancer's gloves and the entire quest for Barrows gloves.
Boots[edit | edit source]
- Climbing boots are obtainable early on, after completing Death Plateau. Later, kill spiritual mages ( 83 ) for dragon boots, then kill Cerberus ( 91 ) for a primordial crystal to upgrade them into primordial boots.
Cape[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
- Barrows equipment:
- Complete Slug Menace to unlock proselyte armour, which provides the highest Prayer bonus for the body and leg slots.
- Endgame armour includes Bandos armour from General Graardor, justiciar armour from the Theatre of Blood, inquisitor's armour from the Nightmare of Ashihama, and Torva armour from Nex.
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|